Article [13] ST1300 - 1100 Travelcade Seat to 1300

Blue One

Vendor
Bike
04 ABS ST1300
I had the Travelcade Stealth seat with gel inserts on my ST1100 and loved it.

When I bought my ST1300 I kept the seat and was determined to fit it to my ST1300.

This is how we did it and a couple pictures of the results.

First of all I removed the cover and foam from the ST1300 pans. Then I selected the position I wanted in the adjustment range (Mid point for me as there will no longer be adjustability)

Then I bolted the 2 pans together into one with a couple small strips of metal on the sides.

The Travelcade seat was stripped of its ST1100 seat pan and cover. The foam for the horn area (just forward of the riders position gel pad) where the seat fits around the tank is obviously different.

So using a straight razor knife, I cut that part off the Travelcade seat. I then made a straight cut in the required place on the stock ST1300 seat foam and then glued that front piece to the Travelcade foam.

The seat now had the proper horn shape to fit the tank. The next step was fitting to the ST1300 pans. All that was required was A couple of adjustments.

The front seat pan of the ST1300 has a deep pocket down where the adjustment area is right below where you sit. The ST1100 was more flat.

I trimmed the ST1300 stock foam down to just fill that area of the seat pan flush so the ST1100 Travelcade seat would sit on top.

A couple of depressions were carved into the sides of the seat foam as well along the area where clearance is needed for the ST1300 saddlebag latch levers. These are about 1/2" x 4" with tapered ends for smoothness.

The whole thing was then glued to the seat pans (3M Super 77 spray glue for all gluing) and covered completely with 1/4" smoothing foam also glued in place.

Next came the cover. As you will see the seat now has a new leather cover my sweetheart Jan sewed up for me.

To start out with however we had sewn the front part of the ST1300 cover to the Travelcades original saddlehyde vinyl cover.

I'll post a picture, the seam in the foam to graft the 2 seats is directly under that seam in the covers.

In all ,it was not as difficult as it all sounds. I ended up buying a $100 air powered upholstery stapler to help out.

The seat is extremely comfortable and quite a few people liked and sat on it at Westoc this year with the new leather.

Larry

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:
Bike
2003 st1300 red
STOC #
Re: ST1100 Travelcade Seat to ST1300

Geoff From Sydney Australia
Mate I which you lived in Sydney I would kill For a seat like that I,v cut tucked nipped cut screwed planed glued stapled and it,s still not right think i will have to get St1100 & a new St1300 seat,s and try again and your "wife" mate can she use a machine to sew like that look out Corbin & Sargent,s mate your my "HERO"had my St 1 year now put 32k on her and in MARCH we of to PERTH from SYDNEY trip off about 11.000 Kilometer,s for the ULYSSES AGM i would love some photos of the job my seat is on the middle position and it still kill,s my jewel,s any help you can advise me with me and my wife Sandra will love you forever your,s in biking Geoff & Sandra STOC7914 Ps Happy New Year :bow1:

Bike
2003 st1300 red
STOC #
Hi Larry long time no hear I,v moved on from my beautiful ST to the Honda Goldwing GL1800 Deluxe air bag model about 2 1/2 years ago now we have been down to Tasmania for 4 week trip which was fantastic riding I can say in 53 years of riding the best day was in Tassie it rained none stop all day but it was fantastic we are going again next year 1 funny thing we were 1/2 way across tassie going over the mountains fog rain miserable and there was a COP sitting in his Hwy car pointing his Lidar gun at me I was on cruse control on the speed limit as we went past him I waved he just put his index finger up to acknowledge us ... Our next big Trip is a very big 1 we will leave home for the Ulysses AGM in Alice Springs over 2000 mile 3 days there at Alice Springs then big trip to Darwin for a week then down the west coast to Broom.. 4 days there then down to Perth 1 week with Anita & Roger our friends from Limy Land and THEN the biggest across the Great Nullarbor plain and Australia's 90 Miles Straight Road done it ones on the ST from East to West Now from West To East And you Must have your Shoooo Rooooos on your bike of the wedged tailed eagles and Crows wont move then it gets hecticthe Shoo Rooo is an Aussie Tiny self propelled high pitch whistle.. we cant here it but they sure do I know they work cos when we pulled in to Kalgoorlie - Western Australian Goldfields - Nullarbor ... we went into the hotel and the Shoo Roos were on the bike BUT there were 6 Aboriginal lads near my bike ... next morning moving on at 150Ks and the Wedges not moving I pulled up had a look and you got it thje ABO,s had stolen them s o into the next servo bought 4 move no more trouble any way mate I,ll stop waffling on and give you a turn if you can remember me Geoff Yorkie46

Top Bottom