State Splitting Discussion

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
This is a reply to something Joe posted in the Virginia thread that I think merits discussion by everyone:

There is no reason to split VA into a western segment ... just one per state unless the state is a large one and needs to be split. VA does not qualify.
I disagree.

Unless we're actually having a contest and awarding prizes, I don't see why we should be drawing up hard-and-fast rules about which states are "large" and should and shouldn't be split. 'Cause frankly, I think that's going to take some of the fun out of it.

Virginia is the 35th-largest state in area but is longer across its southern border than the larger dimension every state except Alaska, California, Texas and possibly North Carolina. The western U.S. has a lot of states that pack a lot of area into what's essentially a 300x300-mile square. That makes a round trip between any two points in one those states in the space of a day a very attainable trip. You'd have to pull a SS1K to get from Virginia Beach to Cumberland Gap and back via the shortest route in 24 hours.

It's 500 miles from Jacksonville, FL to Key West, and that state has three threads. The UK, where I was once asked how many times I stopped for a break between Leeds and Cambridge, has seven. (The answer, which my hosts in Cambridge found shocking, was just once, and only because I really had to pee.)

Alaska, Texas and California have pathologically large major dimensions as states go. On the other end of the spectrum, most of New England (other than Maine) is awfully close together and should be combined into one thread if you're going to base it on size.

What I think we should be doing is encouraging participation by letting the people who know each state best -- those of us who ride there -- decide on whether splits are worth doing and along what lines they should be drawn. The Northern/Western/Central-Southeast split for Virginia works very well geographically and in terms of road density.

End of rant. Discuss.

WV already has a thread.
West Virginia has been a different state since 1863.

--Mark

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
K... so, split it and lets determine the boundaries.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
If we need to.. we can have a sub-forum for those states where it makes sense to split that way we can sticky a thread with a graphic of the state.

OP
OP
Blrfl

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
No need to do sub-forums, really. All we need to do is put a map with the split in the first post of each thread.

I have a pretty good idea of where I think Virginia should be split, and if I have time tonight I'll draw it out.

--Mark

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Okay... I added a Tag Split States sub-forum... and moved the current states that I think are in question for splits...

I'll try to create a separate sticky w/graphic of the regions within the states that it's split into. If someone beats me to it great, I'll sticky that thread / graphic.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
No need to do sub-forums, really. All we need to do is put a map with the split in the first post of each thread.

I have a pretty good idea of where I think Virginia should be split, and if I have time tonight I'll draw it out.

--Mark
K... already done but I can just as easily change it back.. no biggie..

Thanks

scootac

Will Ride for Food
Not to get in the middle here, but has anybody looked at ADV Rider forum and how they have their Tags set up?
They have states, cities and regions. I don't know if they overlap or not. Doesn't seem to me it would be a big deal if they did here and there.
Just seems they have a lot of players over there and tags get moved quite often.
It's all for fun, and to get you out and ride, do the rules have to be all that tight and stringent?
Maybe a little visit there could help out here?

Ok lets split Il in two. It's 420 miles from Rockford to Cairo. Those guys in northern Il have hogging the tag for awhile anyway;). Next thing let's split the Carolina's & Dakota's up into north & south units and split Lubbock off from Texas:). It's about the ride.:biker:

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Ok lets split Il in two. It's 420 miles from Rockford to Cairo. Those guys in northern Il have hogging the tag for awhile anyway;). Next thing let's split the Carolina's & Dakota's up into north & south units and split Lubbock off from Texas:). It's about the ride.:biker:
so... North North Dakota... we could split it 4 ways into North West North Dakota...

someone needs to kidnap you.. :rofl1:

Coop

R.I.P. - 2022/10/6
Rest In Peace
STOC #
Tom, Tom, Tom, Tom.......Lubbock is closer to Arizona than it is to Texas.

Houston, Tx 519 miles
Tyler, Tx 450 miles
Brownsville, Tx 665 miles
Edgar, Az 489 miles
Denver, Co 540 miles
Wichita Ks 487 miles

Shuey

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300 ES, 2018
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
I agree with most that it's about encouragement to ride and . . . fun.

? In that light, I'd rather have just one forum with tag threads and I don't really care how many separations there are within a state, but all should be viewable in one "Tag" Forum list.

The more places someone has to go looking the less likely they'll look.

My preference would be for one "Tag" Forum with a single list of Tag threads, alpha by state. For states broken into more than one area, the thread name should start with the STATE, hypen, name of the sub-section.

? For states divided, a map with dividing lines would be great, although I'm not sure necessary. But if done, rather than put in the first post, which for an active area can be quickly buried behind several pages of new posts - put it at the top of the page, to be shown on every page like a poll.

Just my 2 cents worth.
Shuey

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
Tom, Tom, Tom, Tom.......Lubbock is closer to Arizona than it is to Texas.

Houston, Tx 519 miles
Tyler, Tx 450 miles
Brownsville, Tx 665 miles
Edgar, Az 489 miles
Denver, Co 540 miles
Wichita Ks 487 miles
HEY!
YOU LEAVE N.M. IN BETWEEN TX and AZ!!!
(and especially Lubbock!)
:)

Coop

R.I.P. - 2022/10/6
Rest In Peace
STOC #
HEY!
YOU LEAVE N.M. IN BETWEEN TX and AZ!!!
(and especially Lubbock!)
:)
New Mexico Is just west Texas with better food. Lubbock is only a days ride from someplace with crooked roads. LOL!! or daylight

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
Yup I noted that the last time I rode through Lubbock.
You were about 3 day past a little issue you had in CO: and I was like barn sour horse on the way home...

Next time I'll let you show me the feed yard...

Mondo

Site Supporter
Bike
‘22 Moto Guzzi V85TT
Tom - I think splitting Illinois is a good idea if it will bring more people into the game. I have only been involved for a short time and really enjoy it. IL is a looooong state. Having a tag in the south would be fun as I make quite a few trips to St. Louie each year. Looking at a map and considering the population, how does Bloomington fit as a split point? Just an idea.

Greg Kane

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
Mark, using your logic, a congressman from NY shouldn't be able to dictate land use n Utah (re: current bill to designate more of UT as "wilderness"). D'oh! :doh1: Actually that's a good idea too. :D

This is a reply to something Joe posted in the Virginia thread that I think merits discussion by everyone:

I disagree.

Unless we're actually having a contest and awarding prizes, I don't see why we should be drawing up hard-and-fast rules about which states are "large" and should and shouldn't be split. 'Cause frankly, I think that's going to take some of the fun out of it.

Virginia is the 35th-largest state in area but is longer across its southern border than the larger dimension every state except Alaska, California, Texas and possibly North Carolina. The western U.S. has a lot of states that pack a lot of area into what's essentially a 300x300-mile square. That makes a round trip between any two points in one those states in the space of a day a very attainable trip. You'd have to pull a SS1K to get from Virginia Beach to Cumberland Gap and back via the shortest route in 24 hours.

It's 500 miles from Jacksonville, FL to Key West, and that state has three threads. The UK, where I was once asked how many times I stopped for a break between Leeds and Cambridge, has seven. (The answer, which my hosts in Cambridge found shocking, was just once, and only because I really had to pee.)

Alaska, Texas and California have pathologically large major dimensions as states go. On the other end of the spectrum, most of New England (other than Maine) is awfully close together and should be combined into one thread if you're going to base it on size.

What I think we should be doing is encouraging participation by letting the people who know each state best -- those of us who ride there -- decide on whether splits are worth doing and along what lines they should be drawn. The Northern/Western/Central-Southeast split for Virginia works very well geographically and in terms of road density.

End of rant. Discuss.

West Virginia has been a different state since 1863.

--Mark

Bike
2018 Gold Wing
STOC #
So maybe you could just put Eastern Shore on the Maryland tag 'cause not many Virginians that don't live there go there. And it would be easier for the Terps to tag the Eastern Shore than the Cavs/Hokies.

And while we're splitting states, Shuey and the FL crowd have to post up some boundaries for the new NoFL tag area. We still don't have a SoFL tag, but I'm sure there will be one soon and then that area will have to be defined. the CenFL area is pretty nebulous at the moment.

dr1954

Rick
Bike
=6= F800gs
Tom - I think splitting Illinois is a good idea if it will bring more people into the game. I have only been involved for a short time and really enjoy it. IL is a looooong state. Having a tag in the south would be fun as I make quite a few trips to St. Louie each year. Looking at a map and considering the population, how does Bloomington fit as a split point? Just an idea.

Greg Kane
I agree with Greg and Tom. Politically anything south of I80 is considered "Southern" Illinois. But for tag purposes I say we split the state closer to the middle of the state.

If you look at Ill route 136 it is just south of Bloomington and runs pretty much east and west. Looks like a good place to divide the state to me.

Top Bottom