Article [13] ST1300 - Final Drive Oil Change

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
Fnmag, thanks for the empathy. I need to gain the confidence in my new torque wrench. Do you know of a quick way to test if it is functioning or not?
Most states below the border have standards divisions, which certify local labs to calibrate a number of things, including torque wrenches. Probably have them in Canada also.

ALSO...check Youtube. There are several videos on DIY wrench calibration. Note that these will get you close, probably close enough for our uses. In addition to what they show, you should repeat the process over a range of torques..say, low, middle and high on the scale. Don't do it at the extreme low or high values.

A 'bendy' torque wrench uses a scale near the handle with a pointer on the bar to measure the bar's displacement. Someone with a lot of time on their hands translated that into the torque scale. Problem with these is viewing parallax can affect your interpretation of the reading. Again...probably close enough. Plus side is that you don't need to have them calibrated.

Tom Mac 04a

Site Supporter
Bike
04 ST1300a
STOC #
Fnmag, thanks for the empathy. I need to gain the confidence in my new torque wrench. Do you know of a quick way to test if it is functioning or not?
One thing to check first is the range of the torque wrench... specs can state the wrench is not accurate outside of it's range. I have 3, for low, middle and high torque bolts.

Will have to say tho, I never use it on those plugs.... they have an o-ring so I just snug it down gently.

Please excuse me for bumping it up, but I started another thread and was advised to add comments/question on the article here.

Few questions though:

1- Should I warm up the bike or change right after a ride( just like oil change)?

2- I have some Mercedes 1 Liter Differential Oil (Hypoid Oil) SAE 75W-85 NEW 001 989 17 03 10 laying around, can I use it?

3- Give and take, how much does it take to fill up back to the maximum?

Should I use any pipe dope/sealant on the threads of both bolts? Thanks for all the help and advice.

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
Please excuse me for bumping it up, but I started another thread and was advised to add comments/question on the article here.

Few questions though:

1- Should I warm up the bike or change right after a ride( just like oil change)?

2- I have some Mercedes 1 Liter Differential Oil (Hypoid Oil) SAE 75W-85 NEW 001 989 17 03 10 laying around, can I use it?

3- Give and take, how much does it take to fill up back to the maximum?

Should I use any pipe dope/sealant on the threads of both bolts? Thanks for all the help and advice.
Warming not necessary, but it will drain faster obviously.

Better choice would be a full synthetic hypoid - e.g.. Castrol Syntec 75W -90

Fill until the fluid is about to escape the fill hole. A bottle of hypoid will last several changes.

No sealant needed - and don't over tighten the fill bolt.

Thanks Bush, appreciate the advice and I plan to mark the fill and drain plugs with a chalk/marker and will line it up accordingly.

Warming not necessary, but it will drain faster obviously.

Better choice would be a full synthetic hypoid - e.g.. Castrol Syntec 75W -90

Fill until the fluid is about to escape the fill hole. A bottle of hypoid will last several changes.

No sealant needed - and don't over tighten the fill bolt.
I believe Mercedes one is fully synthetic too, but I'll take your advice and get either 75W-90 or 80W-90. Thanks for your help :)

Last edited:
Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
I believe Mercedes one is fully synthetic too, but I'll take your advice and get either 75W-90 or 80W-90. Thanks for your help :)
If the Mercedes lube IS synthetic, then it should be fine. The difference in weight numbers is not that significant.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Warming up the final drive first is not to speed up draining the oil but rather is to ensure as much contaminant as possible is suspended in the oil and drained with it. For this reason warming the final drive to operating temperature before draining the oil is recommended. Same logic as for warming up the engine prior to an oil change.

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I wouldn't worry about warming it up at all... There's a small magnet in the drain bolt that catches some metallic particles. I'll change my FD oil the same time I change my engine oil which is overkill but it's such an easy job and doesn't take much fluid so I just do that while I'm waiting for the engine oil to drain.

I wouldn't worry about warming it up at all... There's a small magnet in the drain bolt that catches some metallic particles. I'll change my FD oil the same time I change my engine oil which is overkill but it's such an easy job and doesn't take much fluid so I just do that while I'm waiting for the engine oil to drain.
Thanks Mellow, for now that's my plan too :)

Re: ST1300-Final Drive Oil Change

Nice job on a step by step with some great pictures.

:usflag1:
Hi I have just got SAE 85W90 hypoid mineral oil GL-5.. Manual states SAE 80 hypoid gear oil.. Should I use this or get SAE80W90?

ST1300 2003 Model

Thanks Steve

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
You are good to use it. I would suggest synthetic as a better option next time however. Because the volume of oil in the final drive is so small synthetic is better at dealing with any heat produced.

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
synthetic is better at dealing with any heat produced.
I'd say it may help to reduce the heat in the gear case simply because it is a superior lubricant which makes for less friction between the mating gears. Not to mention less wear too. Standard oils don't do well under shearing conditions, whereas synthetics are molecularly less affected by the shearing action that is constantly happening within a spiral bevel, or hypoid, gear.

Did mine over the weekend. May be the easiest fluid change I have ever done. Thanks for the pointers on this thread.

jbird24

This is pretty easy stuff, but I figured what the heck.

Step 1: (Get some Final Drive Gear Oil - I just use the Honda brand)

1.jpg
Step 2: (You need a 17mm wrench or sockets)

2.jpg
Step 3: (Put your bike on the centerstand and your oil drain pan under the Final Drive)

3.jpg
Step 4: (Very Important: Loosen the Fill Plug 1st - then remove the lower Drain Plug)

4.jpg
Step 5: (Let it drain... Let it drain...)

5.jpg
Step 6: (Clean out drain plug and magnetic center)

6.jpg
Step 7: (Inspect the Fill Plug and O-ring for any damage)

7.jpg8.jpg
Step 8: (Install Drain Plug 14 ft.lbs. - a new crush washer is optional)

9.jpg
Step 9: (Gear Oil Fill - I use a small tube over the oil container to help)

10.jpg
11.jpg
Slide the tube into the filler hole and slowly squeeze the container.

12.jpg
Once new oil comes out of the Fill Hole, you have added the max amount of oil.

13.jpg
Step 10: (Install Fill Plug - 9 ft.lbs.)
... You're done...
Can you use mobil 1 75w90??

Top Bottom