Article [13] ST1300 - Final Drive Oil Change

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
This is pretty easy stuff, but I figured what the heck.

Step 1: (Get some Final Drive Gear Oil - I just use the Honda brand)

1.jpg
Step 2: (You need a 17mm wrench or sockets)

2.jpg
Step 3: (Put your bike on the centerstand and your oil drain pan under the Final Drive)

3.jpg
Step 4: (Very Important: Loosen the Fill Plug 1st - then remove the lower Drain Plug)

4.jpg
Step 5: (Let it drain... Let it drain...)

5.jpg
Step 6: (Clean out drain plug and magnetic center)

6.jpg
Step 7: (Inspect the Fill Plug and O-ring for any damage)

7.jpg8.jpg
Step 8: (Install Drain Plug 14 ft.lbs. - a new crush washer is optional)

9.jpg
Step 9: (Gear Oil Fill - I use a small tube over the oil container to help)

10.jpg
11.jpg
Slide the tube into the filler hole and slowly squeeze the container.

12.jpg
Once new oil comes out of the Fill Hole, you have added the max amount of oil.

13.jpg
Step 10: (Install Fill Plug - 9 ft.lbs.)
... You're done...

Last edited:

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Re: ST1300-Final Drive Oil Change

NIce write up and fotos. Last change I broke down and replaced the o-ring on the fill plug though the original one was not seeping or weeping yet. It was almost 5 years old and 66,000 miles. I do use a wipe of silicon grease on it each time.

Byron

STOC #

Joe,

Was that the first time it was changed? The reason I mention this is I got into the habit of doing it at every oil change and it comes out a lot cleaner. :)

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles

Joe,

Was that the first time it was changed? The reason I mention this is I got into the habit of doing it at every oil change and it comes out a lot cleaner. :)
I did it at my 1st oil change at 800ish miles and then probably every other oil change... but I think it's been 10k since the last change as I kept forgetting to get the oil. It was dar, but there wasn't any 'stuff' in it, no metal flakes or anything like that.

Tom Mac 04a

Site Supporter
Bike
04 ST1300a
STOC #

Joe,

As many have stated before, the DARK hyp-oil isn't really dirty... It's prob that moly has been disolved in it (from assembly).

After the first couple or so of changes, my oil had been staying the same color... I then changed my sched to every other oil change.

Shadowfax-ST

As ridden by Pat
Bike
White 08 ST1300

Thanks, Joe: timely as I'm just about to attempt my first oil change/ service and hadn't thought of replacing the drive oil. It's 8500-odd miles since a 16k service at 61-odd k so probably is due.

Bike
2014 Kawasaki C14
STOC #

I always managed to get the gear lube in places not recommended for gear lube. So I replaced mine when the wheel is off for a tire change.

I let it drain during the tire changing process. Also, with the wheel off, I can clean up swing arm n such, clean the drive splines and mop up any puddled gear lube.

For me it's piece of mind with fresh rubber, clean splines fresh moly, o-rings and gear lube. Doesn't get much better than that!

Bike
Red

So at 3300 miles or so on the bike without ever having had a final drive oil change have I messed up something? Please tell me no.:(

Silver Bullet

Retired
Bike
2020 Tracer 900 GT

Well ProV1, NO but I would change it fairly early on just to make sure there was not any metal shavings or crud in there from initial assembly ,just a good precaution IMHO !

:slv13: MIKE
AMA LIFE MEMBER

Bike
Red

Well ProV1, NO but I would change it fairly early on just to make sure there was not any metal shavings or crud in there from initial assembly ,just a good precaution IMHO !

:slv13: MIKE
AMA LIFE MEMBER
Thank goodness. I put off going to bed a while until I got an answer on this one. Thanks Silver Bullet. This weather, even here in S. Mississippi, isn't allowing for much riding, so I didn't think I could be doing too much harm. I might get around to changing it tomorrow. If not, definitely next week.

SoCal Rider

ride and let ride :)
Bike
2006 STeed

So at 3300 miles or so on the bike without ever having had a final drive oil change have I messed up something? Please tell me no.:(
I know what I am doing tomorrow,,16K and still using the original oil :eek::

abhijitz

Radiuz
Bike
07 ST1300 ABS

completely forgot about the final drive oil. was planning to do the oil change today & read Mellow's post. Always read the SM in details :)

Quick Question Joe : The plastic tube you put on the bottle, did you slide the tube on the fill nipple [on the bottle cap] or cut the fill nipple and made a hole in the cap for the tube to go in? And, what diameter is the tube. Looks to me 3/4" inch ?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles

completely forgot about the final drive oil. was planning to do the oil change today & read Mellow's post. Guess .... read the SM in details.

Quick Question Joe : The plactic tube you put on the bottle, did you slide the tube on the fill nipple [on the bottle cap] or cut the fill nipple and made a hole in the cap for the tube to go in? And, what diameter is the tube. Looks to me 3/4" inch ?
I don't know where I got the tube, I'm sure it was just sitting in the garage.

The tube is 1/2 inch across with a 1/4 inch opening. I just cut the tip off the oil container and forced it over the tip.

Top Bottom