OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
What I like to do is mark the fill cap to the final drive casting before I remove the fill cap with a pencil mark, this way I don’t over over torque it with a 17 mm wrench
Fill cap is made of pot metal and breaks easily.
DAMHIK Don’t ask me how I know.
Yup, very low torque values.

1683115921111.png

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
The service manual says to replace the Oring on the fill cap every oil change but I think few ever change it. So it’s compressed and deformed over time allowing the cap to come to on metal to metal contact with no feedback of snugging up. Honda completes the setup for cracking the cap by designing it to take a 17mm wrench or rachet handle that typically easily provides 4 times the torque value of 9 ft lbs. when a 17mm fastener starts pulling snug. The wrench handle is much longer than need be for 9 ft lbs. and no feedback.

W0QNX

Blacksheep Tribal Member
Bike
06/ST1300 19/R1250RT
2024 Miles
Wouldn't hurt to replace the o-ring on the fill cap. They do retain a permanent squash after a while and may lead to metal/metal contact around the perimeter.
Just a note....these caps are the same as the valve covers that were used on the old Honda small bikes.
I have no idea, never replaced one but good idea.
I used to replace a lot of these, back when I was restoring old Hondas. Seems pliers were the preferred tool for removing these caps.
You guys are talking different caps here. The vent (breather cap) in your post Mellow is not a fill cap.

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
You guys are talking different caps here. The vent (breather cap) in your post Mellow is not a fill cap.
Yes, I know... we were discussing the previous post about how water could have gotten into the oil, so the breather cap is one possibility.

The o-ring in the filler cap is another... even some bad FD seals could be the culprit.

I would just fill and ride and check at the next oil change to see if it looks good.

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
Oddly enough the manual says replacing the crush washer on the drain plug is optional.

Mine did not have one.

I have spare aluminum and copper washers in a kit, but none of aluminum ones were the proper inner diameter so I put a copper on instead vs not having one at all.

Hopefully there's no metal interaction between the aluminum plug, body and the copper washer. I'm aware that aluminum deforms better than copper.

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
I was referring to the large flanged hex headed filler cover. I have replaced the vent/breather caps on my ST's...don't like a rusty patina....which are press fit.

Top Bottom