Final Drive breather vent

I recently did a 1300 km trip in quite hot weather. When I arrived home I noticed what appeared to be dust sticking around the join area where the final drive unit bolts up to the swing arm with 4 bolts.
I know there is no seal between those two parts.
Rubbing the dust with my finger it felt dry, not wet/oily. So whatever was causing the dust to stick was VERY minimal.
The oil level is still full.

Anyone had an experience such as this? The ST has only done 22000 Km.

Does anyone know how to remove the breather and clean it? I want to check if mine is blocked.

Smallville

Scott
Bike
2022 KLR 650 Adv
STOC #
Thats fairly normal. Could be just static holding the dirt there or the way the air moves over the part.

I don't think the breather is removable.

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
I rather doubt the breather is clogged, but if you blow air in the fill hole, it should exhaust. The breather is replaceable, but I think you might damage the original during removal.
I can tell you that if you overfill (you can do so by turning the wheel while filling, and it will take more), it will blow out the breather as you ride, and there will be noticeable oil on the housing.
But, as streetrod says, it might be static in your case. Wipe it off and ride!!

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
Mine seems to "sweat" a little grease or something at that juncture as well. It's extremely minimal, just enough for some very light dust to stick. I just wipe it off periodically and GO RIDE!

OP
OP
Yes Jeff that's exactly how mine is. I think you're correct, it is probably a TINY bit of the moly grease from the splines sweating through the join when the grease softens as it gets hot.

Thanks to all for your assistance. I'm off on a 2000 km ride at new year and I don't want ANY problems!!!

cheers, Peter

Bike
ST1300
Just typed a long message, and the site destroyed it. Let's see if a short one works.

Can anyone tell me what to do if you damage the final drive breather cap?

Bike
ST1300
Yeah, the long message kind of addressed that.

The cap is not a snap on, or a screw on. It seems it was attached via a weld or something to what is below it. I found that the hard way when I took my channel locks to it to get it off. (I ought to have checked here first to learn where the final drive oil inlet port actually is.)

Have the little open port pointing skyward now covered with electric tape secured by a cable tie, but it looks awful. I can't figure out how a new cap would go on in a secure manner.

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Yeah, the long message kind of addressed that.

The cap is not a snap on, or a screw on. It seems it was attached via a weld or something to what is below it. I found that the hard way when I took my channel locks to it to get it off. (I ought to have checked here first to learn where the final drive oil inlet port actually is.)

Have the little open port pointing skyward now covered with electric tape secured by a cable tie, but it looks awful. I can't figure out how a new cap would go on in a secure manner.
Looks like part number 5 here http://www.partzilla.com/parts/search/Honda/Motorcycle/2007/ST1300+A/FINAL+DRIVEN+GEAR+(ST1300)/parts.html

Bike
ST1300A 2007
I also broke my breather cap. When i wanted to check it it did not come off and the top of the breather got loose.

6$ :rolleyes:

Bike
Pan 1300A
If it were me I would find a piece of fuel pipe roughly the same diameter of the hole and make sure its a tight fit then clip it along the ABS sensor cable to an area out of the way

Top Bottom