Article [13] ST1300 - Quartet Harness Pinout

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Disclaimer
This document is provided strictly for entertainment purposes. Information in this document does not replace, enhance, or supersede information contained in Honda Owner's Manuals, Service Manuals, or other Honda publications. The contents of this document should not be considered accurate or authoritative. The reader assumes liability for any consequences resulting from the use or misuse of the contents of this document. Honda motorcycles should be serviced only by qualified Honda technicians.

Initial document based upon content contributed by crazykz on 04/24/2005 .

Quartet Harness Pinout
Notes
Color/Color = Solid Color/Stripe Color
ACC 12V = 12V supplied when ignition in ACC
Switched 12V = 12V supplied when ignition in RUN
9-Pin Clear Connector
Harness Side Color ------ Signal/Function

Green ------------------- Ground

Light Blue -------------- Right Turn Signal
Red/Black --------------- Switched 12V
Orange ------------------ Left Turn Signal
Red/Green --------------- Constant 12V

3-Pin Black Connector

Light Green/Black ------- Switched 12V + ACC 12V
Red/Green --------------- Constant 12V

3-Pin Red Connector

Light Green/Black ------- Switched 12V + ACC 12V

3-Pin Clear Connector

Red/Black --------------- Switched 12V

There is a 9-Pin connector that connects the harness to the bike. When the wiring goes through that connector some of the wire colors change. Mainly it's the 12V wiring. It doesn't make sense to me but it ends up that there are two wires with the same color scheme but they do two different things. Anyway I'll try and write this out here.
9-Pin Clear Connector at bike for quartet harness
Harness Side Color ------ Bike Side Color Signal/Function
Red/Green --------------- Red/Green Constant 12V
Light Green/Black ------- Red/Green Switched 12V + ACC 12V
Orange ------------------ Orange Left Turn Signal
Light Blue -------------- Light Blue Right Turn Signal
Red/Black --------------- White/Green Switched 12V
Green ------------------- Green Ground

Last edited:

crazykz

R.I.P. - 2012/06/16
Rest In Peace
Bike
2007 ST1300A
STOC #
I'm trying to figure out what accessories hook to what connectors on the quartet harness. These are my guesses:

3-Pin Red: 12V accessory plug for fairing pocket
3-Pin White/Clear: 12V for heated grips
3-Pin Black: 12V for radio
9-Pin White/Clear: I have no clue

Also I've been asking myself why there is a Red/Black wire on the 3-Pin clear connector that goes to White/Green on the bike wiring harness. Now since that is for the heated grips I think there's a white/green wire there that feeds the heated grips. If that is the same wire then is it possible that wire only has 12V when the bike is running? I don't think so because when I pinned this out the bike was on but never running.

So if that's the case how do the heated grips know when the bike is running because they don't come on until you start up the bike.

Plus there are 3 wires for the heated grips. There's only 2 wires on the connector on the harness. Where does the third wire go? Now I just want to run home and rip the thing apart to figure all this out.

Curt

Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
Which heated grips. Honda, DualStar/Symtex?
Can't comment on Honda but the DS/Symtex grips have three wires. That setup uses the three wires to do low and high without a wastefull resistor. I installed those grips using a heat-troller controller and wired the grips using the high setting which is using the red and white wires. Using red and blue gives you the low setting.

crazykz

R.I.P. - 2012/06/16
Rest In Peace
Bike
2007 ST1300A
STOC #
NormanPCN said:
Which heated grips. Honda, DualStar/Symtex?
Can't comment on Honda but the DS/Symtex grips have three wires. That setup uses the three wires to do low and high without a wastefull resistor. I installed those grips using a heat-troller controller and wired the grips using the high setting which is using the red and white wires. Using red and blue gives you the low setting.
This is the Honda grips.

Are the red/white and red/blue on the bike? I have the pinouts and I don't see a red/white or red/blue on the quartet harness.

Curt

crazykz

R.I.P. - 2012/06/16
Rest In Peace
Bike
2007 ST1300A
STOC #
Are you making this up? So you're saying it detects between 12V and 14V? It would have to be even more sensitive than that wouldn't it?

I think you're right but I'm just wondering if you have info that you're holding out on me.

Curt

Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
crazykz said:
This is the Honda grips.

Are the red/white and red/blue on the bike? I have the pinouts and I don't see a red/white or red/blue on the quartet harness.

Curt
I was referencing the wires on the heated grips. The white heated grip connector has two wires. Green = ground and the other is power (can't remember the color combo).

Since you have an all factory setup then I assume it is a simple plug and play setup. i.e. the grips controller has a connector which plugs into the harness.

samurai741

Park Ridge, IL.
Bike
2003 ST1300
Quartet Wiring - Additional Info.

I have some additional info for your informative document. I have spent some time analyzing the wiring diagrams to understand where power for the harness is coming from and have determined that the switched 12V Red/Green wire on the bike side has it's power supplied through fuse F (15A) while the constant 12V Red/Green wire on the bike side has it's power supplied through fuse J (10A).

Hope this helps anyone trying to diagnose electrical problems associated with the quartet harness.

crazykz

R.I.P. - 2012/06/16
Rest In Peace
Bike
2007 ST1300A
STOC #
samurai741 said:
I have some additional info for your informative document. I have spent some time analyzing the wiring diagrams to understand where power for the harness is coming from and have determined that the switched 12V Red/Green wire on the bike side has it's power supplied through fuse F (15A) while the constant 12V Red/Green wire on the bike side has it's power supplied through fuse J (10A).

Hope this helps anyone trying to diagnose electrical problems associated with the quartet harness.
Hey Thanks and on your first post. BAM!!

I did know about the switched power but wasn't sure where the constant 12V came from. I was just too lazy to trace it I guess. That's good to know because if my Garmin ever quits I'll need to replace the constant 12V fuse.

Thanks again for checking into it.

Curt

Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
fuse labeled ACC = switched.
fuse labeled Battery = constant.

The battery fuse also supplies power to the trip odometers, clock anf fuel computer.

deanrd

06 ST1300a
Bike
06 ST1300a
Re: ST1300 Quartet Harness Pinout

Great instructions, helped me alot.

Does anyone know which connectors are designed for which accessories? Black - power outlet?, white - heated grips?, red - radio? and 9pin for European immobilizer or whatever?

Dean

Raven

"two wrecks" - RIP ACL
Bike
Aprilia Caponord
STOC #

This is from koczarski.com

Quartet Harness:

Hondaline Power Outlet Connector
Red 3-pin connector:
Green=Ground,
Lt_green/black=12V on Acc only

Not sure what this is for??
Black 3-pin connector:
Green=Ground,
Lt_green/black=12V on Acc only
Red/green=12V always on

Hondaline Heated Grip Connector
White 3-pin connector:
Green=Ground
Red/black=12V "On" (ig. switch) only, no Acc

I used the ground and red/green wire from this for my always on power outlet
White 9-pin connector:
Green=ground,
red/green=12V always on
red/black=12V "On" (ig switch) only
Lt blue= right blinker
Orange= left blinker

crazykz

R.I.P. - 2012/06/16
Rest In Peace
Bike
2007 ST1300A
STOC #

I believe the black connector is for the radio as far as I can tell since it has constant and switched power.

I'm confused by the post of Adam's wiring work. Is the one I came up with different? :confused:

Curt

STOC #

I think I have my Aux Socket connected to the Red socket but I am not sure

all i know is that anything connected too it charges with the ignition on and in the ACC

If I would like the power socket live at all times does anyone know what colour socket i should move the plug into

I am asking this as its going in next week to have my valves checked and while the Tupperware is off i would like the mechanic to move it across

Many regards and thanks

Peter

crazykz

R.I.P. - 2012/06/16
Rest In Peace
Bike
2007 ST1300A
STOC #

If I would like the power socket live at all times does anyone know what colour socket i should move the plug into
Well at first I didn't think it was going to be easy because I thought a pin would need to be moved but you've struck gold on St. Patricks Day and the luck of the Irish is with you. If you're not Irish don't worry... I am. :)

Unplug it from the red plug and plug it into the black plug.

This is something that I didn't document in the pinout was what positions each wire is in but of course it depends on which side you're looking from. So these are relative but here it is.

Red Plug:
position 1 = 12V switched
position 2 = Empty
position 3 = Ground

Black Plug:
position 1 = 12V constant
position 2 = 12V switched
position 3 = Ground

I included a picture. Luckily mine is ripped apart right now so I could verify this one. (CRAP) I can't attach a thumbnail here because there's no manage attachments button. Why not? Well I've included a thumbnail and a link to the full size pic from my website.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need more info.

Curt

Attachments

STOC #

Many thanks for that Crazy

Duly noted and sent to my mechanic

I have an Irish name so I always get a little Irish luck sometimes

Thanks again

Peter

Bike
ST1300

Hello

There is no quartet harness for the 1100, it is just for the 1300.

Maura

Bike
2004 ST1300A
STOC #

Norman: Can you provide a schematic for your setup.
I installed the same thing and it doesn't work. I wired something wrong, maybe too many hot wires, or grounds. It throws sparks and blows material off the fuse, when I try to plug the fuse in.:04biker:

crazykz

R.I.P. - 2012/06/16
Rest In Peace
Bike
2007 ST1300A
STOC #

Jim always comes up with the best stuff.

Great work Jim.

Curt

Top Bottom