Article [13] ST1300 - Quartet Harness Pinout

I know this is a really old thread but just wondering if anyone knows what the pin-outs are for the 9 pin connector on the Quartet Harness. All the pin-out diagrams I've found on the net show 5 pins at best. What are the other 4 used for? The reason I ask is I was looking to install a Scorpio Alarm system (http://ridescorpio.com/secure/) and was wondering if this connector has all the pin-outs I need (I don't like cutting into wire harnesses if I don't need to).

Bike
ST1300AA 2010
Is the "turn signal" voltage on the 9 pin connector +12 volts pulsed like its coming from the output of the blinker OR a solid "high" as if its coming from the input of the blinker?

Thanks
Michael

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
If I would like the power socket live at all times does anyone know what colour socket i should move the plug into
I am asking this as its going in next week to have my valves checked and while the Tupperware is off i would like the mechanic to move it across
It's easy enough for him to check - I noted once that my colours were different from the ones posted on here, so I always check what does what if I want to connect anything new.

Happy Rob

Rob
Bike
2004 ST 1300
STOC #
I can't source male Hitachi plugs locally. Would there be any harm to simply cut the quartet harness white connector off and replace it with a 3 prong plug that I can find locally? 3 Plug is a 3 plug as far as I'm concerned? I can probably find a male and female 3 prong plug at princess auto ( hr freight equivalent in Canada).

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
You absolutely can. The electricity doesn't care what connector it flows through as long as the connector is sized properly and can handle the load.

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
I dispensed with the origina quartet harness and made my own version that plugs into the 9 pin connector. Mine has cables that are the correct length for where I want the accessory to be plugged in - ie somewhere accessible ! - and there are more connectors. I worked out what maximum current I could feed from each. I stuck with the hitachi style connectors that Honda uses - but anything that works and can carry the (rather small) current.

Cable harness loom connector wiring parts for car motorcycle boat (kojaycat.co.uk) UK

But many auto electrical suppliers on line have the same design connectors available - they just call them something different.

Useful search terms 2.8mm Connector Auto / Car / Motorcycle

You might find these useful - taken from a UK 2009ABS model.

Last edited:

Happy Rob

Rob
Bike
2004 ST 1300
STOC #
Thanks gang for validation. I will make one more attempt to find proper 2.8mm electrical connectors locally then if I can't, I will cannabilize my honda quartet and just add whatever pin connectors I can get locally. I also considered keeping the original connectors and just using something like posi connectors to tap into the wires. I have not seen those before, but they seem very useful, waterproof, and looks like it makes a good connection.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
just using something like posi connectors to tap into the wires.
I personally wouldn't do that. I know that they are used successfully all the time but, to work properly they need to damage the wire that they are tapping in to. This is by design, and is something that I choose not to do.

If you do want the Hitachi type connectors to plug in to the quartet harness, you can get them from Cycle Terminal in New Jersey. He normally has them in stock and my experience has been that he ships them out quickly and that his shipping charges were very reasonable.

Cycle Terminal Hitachi Connectors

Top Bottom