Best ST1300 Tank Bag

Throttlejockey

Padden is my hero
Bike
06 ST1300
STOC #
After mounting my LuggageLocker I must say I was disappointed. I couldn't open the gas cap because the mount wasn't cut out properly. Good thing I checked it before I went for a ride.

I ended up trimming the mount, but I'm still not too happy with it that you can't fully open the gas cap, like w/o it.

Les e-mailed me to let me know it was on it's way before I got it, and to contact him to let him know how it works for me.

So, I did about 2 weeks ago explaining my issues and never heard back from him. Slightly disappointing.

Louie Louie

On page 90 of the June Rider they show an 07 with a nice setup. Not certain what tank bag it is though.

Bike
2004 ST1300
I know its a little late for the original post. However, I have about 8000 miles using a GIVI Bag. I researched and tried several bags while having experience with others during my 15 years driving PC800s. I set a criteria first of what my needs were and I'll list them here:
1) Accessibility while inflight - I had to be able to reach inside it without looking and retrieve items (snacks, lip stuff for the wife.....)
2) Clear window for the map case - Though GPS is all the thing, what happens when it fails or is wrong? I want a hard map there to quickly and easily see my options.
3) Easy access when stopped. We keep our rain gear in there and I want to be able to stop quickly and apply without too much aggravation.
4) Quick and easy placement and removal. I want to be able to put it on the tank and then make removing it quick. After a long ride, I don't want to have to struggle with it. In the morning, I want to be able to just put it on and go. I am spoiled like that.
5) Durable and long lasting - self explanatory, these bags are expensive. I almost want it to outlast the bike.
6) Great storage options - I want it to be versatile in storage options. In other words if it is just me, then it fits so much, if it is both of us, then fit more. If I want to add while enroute, expandable.
7) Compartmentalized so that I can just deal with that part of the bag. This is different from access while in flight though may seem repetitive for #3.

It has been two years since I did my research plus the 8000 miles. I tried several as stated but can't remember what they were. Looking at my invoices, I tried a HH Mini Magnet Tankbag by Cortech. This unit was purchase from a motorcycle shop using their catalog. They had a model there but for a Universal fit. Price was a consideration but more usability was the biggest concern. I had a Cortech bag for my PC800. However, I let it go when I sold it as I wanted a Magnetic mount and the PC800 bag just didn't work.

I was able to get a fairly decent presentation when I looked online at GIVI. I have a long history with GIVI. I have had several of their top cases. One of which survived a 70 mph crash that totaled a PC800 beyond recognition. This now sits proudly on my ST1300. I went with the GIVI T437 Magnetic Tank Bag. After I returned the Cortech, I had my bike with me and the dealer allowed me to test fit the bags they had in stock. None of them conformed to the tank when stuffed full of paper. They sat ackward or would seat at all. A magnetic bag should be able to sit on a metal tank fairly secure all by itself. So far, the GIVI stood its ground.

The GIVI bag comes with the rubber-sided bottom, magnetic mount, a cinch strap that goes around the yoke, and four cinch straps that grip the bottom of the tank. I have only used the four hooks once. They do a great job in very windy conditions where there is a quartering or cross wind component. They apply quickly so if yo have to stop, down-time is minimal. The rest of the time , the magnet alone keeps the bag secured to the tank. However, I recommend that the the yoke strap be employed. This keeps the bad from getting lost in flight. I pack in the main compartment, one large and one extra large rain suit (jacket and pants), wipe towels (4), all needed maps plus two US fold out maps for that trip, any needed paperwork, snacks, 1 set each of day and night goggles, sunscreen, zip lock bags (4 qt & 4 gallon) and spare long sleeve shirt. In the right side compartment I keep: the four cinch straps, the rain cover (clear), spare batteries. In the left compartment, I keep lip balm, the MP3 device, several wet erase markers for marking the map in the clear case, incidentals.

The GIVI bag also comes with two shoulder straps that are hidden between the bag itself and the magnet mount. This allows the unit to be carried/worn like a back pack upon removal. It comes with a hefty handle to carry as a bag. I store the bag on the bike when not in use. I store it in clear zippered bag (the kind linens (bed sheets) come in). This keeps any dust off of it and serves a great second purpose. If by chance you pick up any metal fragments while preparing to mount this to the tank, the fragments drop harmlessly off when the unit is removed from the clear bag. Make double sure your mount side is clean and free of any debris. This will mar or worse scratch and gouge your tank.

This is my third season with this bag. I look forward to trips with the bag for several reasons. On the long haul, I can lean on it without taking a nap. It provide a nice cushion in front. This really helps to prevent those air-blasts that come up from below. The bike is easy to maneuver when mounted fully loaded. It also allows easy access to the tank for fuel stops. Notes can easily be written on the clear map case (which is removable) in dry or wet erase (wet won;t come off if you swipe it with an arm unless it is sweaty). One can very easily take quick looks at the map to verify position while in flight.

GIVI won my money several times with their top cases. However, their tank bags rule. They are sturdy, well built and can handle the long haul. My bag looks like I just unpacked it from the box and it has seen all weather conditions in 8000 miles of use in two seasons (1 1/2 really). The bag also has reflective markers sewn into the bag for extra viability. Should get a new or different bike and the bag goes with my old bike, I will definitely order another GIVI.

Bike
2009 ST1300
STOC #
I went to the FirST Gear store and got a Seddicci tank bag. No risers. Bag does everything well, holds on, holds a lot inside, doesnt get in the way, holds spare Shoei shield, camera wallet, map pocket with clear cover, gloves, mag mount.. Very happy with it.

Bike
2005 ST1300A
STOC #
I've got a RKA tank bag, the in-charge model. I run power from in front of the seat up to the bag for ipod. I'm wondering if anyone has a good way of holding the tank bag while fueling. With the power cord, I can't remove the whole bag, I unclip one of the front straps and pivot it to the side. Most of the time I don't even get off the bike.

Bike
2004 ST1300
I've got a RKA tank bag, the in-charge model. I run power from in front of the seat up to the bag for ipod. I'm wondering if anyone has a good way of holding the tank bag while fueling. With the power cord, I can't remove the whole bag, I unclip one of the front straps and pivot it to the side. Most of the time I don't even get off the bike.
I do about the same thing, I just swing the bag off to the side or lay it up on the handle bars while I fuel. I have had no trouble with the bag interfering with fueling or maneuvering.

Last edited:
Bike
2005 ST1300A
STOC #
I have the in charge 10.5 liter tank bag. It has the bracket on top, I mount the iPod on it with a RAM mount.

Cheddarhead

Smell the Dairy Air!
Bike
2003 ST1300...the "O
STOC #
I have a Nelson Rigg Tank Bag. I believe it is the "Silver Streak"...or something close to that. It is a magnetic bag. It came with a detachable rain cover, which has seen a few storms / frog-stranglers, and seems to function well. Of course, the ST is such that the cockpit is well-protected from weather, at least while underway.

I have MCL Risers on the ST. Depending on bag placement on the tank, I can / have hit both the horn button and the starter switch when going lock to lock. I don't think this is an issue at all...just something to be aware of.

The bag has a detachable map pocket...two smaller side pockets ( just right for stowing wallet / cell phone / kickstand plate etc where they are secure but easy to get at when needed) and a main compartment big enough to hold a full size digital SLR Camera + gloves + pocket knife + etc + etc + etc...

I think a tankbag is the single most practical farkle I've ever added to this or any other 'cycle. Can't imagine riding without one...and the N-R unit is certainly well-made for it's intended purposes. It even matches the '03 Silver Paint quite well...not that that matters a hoot.

Strongly recommended...

Cheddar

Bike
ST1300
I have a Nelson Rigg Tank Bag. I believe it is the "Silver Streak"...or something close to that. It is a magnetic bag. It came with a detachable rain cover, which has seen a few storms / frog-stranglers, and seems to function well. Of course, the ST is such that the cockpit is well-protected from weather, at least while underway.

I have MCL Risers on the ST. Depending on bag placement on the tank, I can / have hit both the horn button and the starter switch when going lock to lock. I don't think this is an issue at all...just something to be aware of.

The bag has a detachable map pocket...two smaller side pockets ( just right for stowing wallet / cell phone / kickstand plate etc where they are secure but easy to get at when needed) and a main compartment big enough to hold a full size digital SLR Camera + gloves + pocket knife + etc + etc + etc...

I think a tankbag is the single most practical farkle I've ever added to this or any other 'cycle. Can't imagine riding without one...and the N-R unit is certainly well-made for it's intended purposes. It even matches the '03 Silver Paint quite well...not that that matters a hoot.

Strongly recommended...

Cheddar
Looks like they no longer make this bag.

I tried to put my old bag on but it's way to tall and hits the bars bad. Its the laguna bag from first gear. Wish I could use it the stupid thing was over 150 and I never got to ride with it. Sat in garage since the inaugural moto gp in indy.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Bike
07 ST1300
STOC #
I actually have two of 'em. This is the model I'm currently using and have been using for the paST several years. linky here It does not in any way hamper normal STeering while riding. When I wish to "cut donuts" admittedly a "parking-lot-only" maneuver, moving the bars "from-lock left-to-lock right" I do remove the bag. Additionally, with the bag in place, there is no interference with the horn button when holding to "left lock".

Happy to help - it is truly a fully functional setup.

Cheers,
How did the EVO bag hold up???

Last edited:
Bike
ST1300 2004
Thank you for the lengthy review of the Givi T437 tank bag. I just bought one online as I believe it will make my cycling life a lot easier.

I've been using a Wolfman explorer lite. Use it positioned well back towards me so no fouling with handlebars on full lock. Good size and great quality.

Bike
2021 Tracer 9GT
STOC #
The 1300 has a steel tank, so magnetic is the ticket.
I use a new/old stock RKA magnetic on mine. It allows plenty of room for the bars to turn lock to lock. No scratches on the tank either after 12 years.

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
Hi all:

I really liked the GIVI 406 bag and yet, they do t list a tank ring for the ST1100 or ST1300 and so I emailed them last last night. Early this morning, they got back to me and told me that the BF03 tank ring will work but that the bag will contac the handlebars at full-lock and that's why they don't list the application for the ST BIKES.

I'll it's the same for the EVO bags.

Useful info - I think I'll look for a deal on the GIVI 406. Great customer service from GIVI USA!

Pete

RocketMan

so many roads...
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
I use an Oxford Expandable tank bag on a Bagster tank cover.

The Oxford (don't know if they are available in the States) is almost ideal after modifications - except the problem with full lock on the starter / horn.
John,

I have used an Oxford bag for 8 years now. Got it at my local bike shop. They are available from Iron Pony in the States.

I always use the magnetic base and just keep it pulled really close to me to keep it out of the way of the horn button.
Bruce

Top Bottom