Article [11] ST1100 - el-cheapo Mirror Wind Deflectors

sirepair

Let's RIDE!
Site Supporter
Bike
2003 ST1100P
STOC #
Made these up last year but never got around to do a write-up, so here is the belated one:

OK, so I'm a pretty frugal guy and dangerous with sharp objects, so I made a set of Mirror Wind Deflectors for my ST1100. I have the fairing deflectors (bought used) but did not get the mirror deflectors. I utilized a $10.00 set of generic mud flaps from my local auto parts store.

I played around with some card board to get the shape right, then hacked out the shapes from the plastic using a box knife. I left the textured side up to go along with the gray plastic parts (though the mud flaps are black).

I had to bevel the edges a bit to get a tight fit. For this I utilized a drum sander bit on my Dremel tool. BE CAREFUL as the course drums will remove a lot of material from the mud flaps quite quickly! Maybe practice on a piece of scrap first...

I did not want to mount them with fasteners so I tried to mount them (last year) with some 2-sided molding tape. But I think my tape was old and I had some issues with it sticking. So I utilized some black silicone (RTV). Took a bit of elbow grease to remove the remaining RTV once I removed the deflectors for summer riding.

This time, I'm using a GE bathroom caulk (goes on white, dries clear) and hopefully it will be a bit easier to remove. I simply ran a bead around the 2 edges of the deflectors that will stick to the fairing and mirror. **UPDATE** Use Permatex black RTV for easier removal. The GE stuff was a P.I.T.A. to remove! :nuts1:

Using some masking tape and a clamps I positioned the deflectors and left them to dry overnight.

I was pretty happy with both the looks and function of this farkle. The deflectors do a good job of keeping wind and rain off of my hands. And at about $13.00 ($10 mud flaps, $3 silicone) it's hard to go wrong!

And so ends another episode of "the Frugal Farkler"!! Tune in next time when I make a RAM ball GPS mount from a goat's testicle.....

**PDF file attached with scale trace of deflectors**

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Follow

TEAM COLORADO
Bike
Two wheels
STOC #
Re: Custom-made el-cheapo ST1100 Mirror Wind Deflectors

nice Mr. frugal :yes:

Bike
'93 ST1100
STOC #

Boy, aren't you an ingenious one. Those do look pretty slick Pat and very functionable. I can hardly wait to see how you worked your magic with the goat testicle!!!

Gary

Bike
ST1100

Mate just found this post and its like most excellent. A job well done and the Diagram, what a bonus

OP
OP
sirepair

sirepair

Let's RIDE!
Site Supporter
Bike
2003 ST1100P
STOC #
Re: ST1100-el-cheapo Mirror Wind Deflectors

Do you have bar risers?

If so, did they give good coverage?
I have the "stacking" set of risers with different size pieces, so I think I have about 1" installed.

"Coverage" is fair; a lot less air on the hands than without to deflectors, for sure! Keeps a good bit of rain off, too.

rapidoxidationm

St n00b
Bike
Duh

Interesting mod. Do you find that there is a vacuum created by the mudflap that sucks in rain at speed or does it really deflect everything?

OP
OP
sirepair

sirepair

Let's RIDE!
Site Supporter
Bike
2003 ST1100P
STOC #

I'm sure there is a low pressure area behind the deflectors, but I have not paid attention to whether it sucks in the rain. The goal was to get some of the cold air off of my hands (and not spend $50 doing it!) I have removed them for warmer weather riding, but I have discovered that the silicone that I used this year is of a higher quality than that I used last year and it is requiring some elbow grease to remove it!

I do want to develop a better way to attach them though. Just haven't taken the time to do it yet.

rapidoxidationm

St n00b
Bike
Duh

I did something very similar with the brush guards (plastic air dams?) on my V-Strom. Held 'em on with 3M automotive trim tape - think super sticky double sided tape - and a few rivets. I'll bet the rivets could've been left out. Definitely kept a bit warmer in COLD weather and let the grip heaters do their job.

Bike
95 red ST
STOC #

Brilliant indeed. I have been contriving a similar mod and the pics are a real help. For a fastening method I am thinking of a 3M tape on the plastic then RTV to the tape. I'll try it out and see if it's an easy removal.
Vinnie

ADE

Bike
2002 ST1100AY
STOC #

fitted OEM one's with 3M tape still held at 100mph,:weights1: saves drilling the pod .

Bike
ST1100 1997

Hi thought I'd put my two pennys worth in lmao:think1: why not leave the deflector on , because in summer I some times like to ride without gloves and when a Bee or flys hit your hands at 100mph they blummin hurt lol! or once in summer I had gloves on but it was a summer storm and hail poured from the heavens....O my word they flippin killed!!! so I love the idea and never thought of making my own so down will come the plastic sheet out of loft, its clear so going spray black on inside then will look glossy from front :woo

Bike
ST 1100

I do want to develop a better way to attach them though. Just haven't taken the time to do it yet.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for this suggestion... Two questions. Did the silicon you used cause any paint damage ans since this post have you found a more permanent solution to affix the deflectors?

OP
OP
sirepair

sirepair

Let's RIDE!
Site Supporter
Bike
2003 ST1100P
STOC #
The silicone did not damage the paint, just a P.I.T.A. to remove! I did not mess with any additional means of attachment, I have added some over-the-mirror lights and have not modified the deflectors to fit with them, so they have not been installed for a couple years.

I did examine them and wonder what it would take (cutting wise) to use them with the lights, didn't go any further though. May look at doing that as the temps are dropping and I hope to commute till the roads are too bad to ride.

Ross Smith

Ross
Bike
1999 St1100
Like the look and the pdf's are a welcome template to work with. Thanks. Sure could'a used these the other day. Found myself in a blizzard briefly, driving into town for lunch. Came back at 38F in the rain, sheesh!

Ross

OP
OP
sirepair

sirepair

Let's RIDE!
Site Supporter
Bike
2003 ST1100P
STOC #
Thanks for the template! Are they still on?
No, took them off when I mounted over the mirror lights. But I'm commuting to work mostly on the bike and I'm really missing them! May see about moding them this weekend. Will post pics if I do.

Bike
2004 ST1300
This is a basic and very effective looking mod. I'm going to try it. Thank you for all of your info and the templates!

Bike
St1100
Have u tried using peal off silicone? That's what i use to install my a/c every year and wouldn't hurt the paint...if u want it removable
The trix is to leave a glob somewhere so u can grab it to remove it...

Top Bottom