Article [11] ST1100 - el-cheapo Mirror Wind Deflectors

Bike
07 ST1300A(P)
STOC #
Made these up last year but never got around to do a write-up, so here is the belated one:

OK, so I'm a pretty frugal guy and dangerous with sharp objects, so I made a set of Mirror Wind Deflectors for my ST1100. I have the fairing deflectors (bought used) but did not get the mirror deflectors. I utilized a $10.00 set of generic mud flaps from my local auto parts store.

I played around with some card board to get the shape right, then hacked out the shapes from the plastic using a box knife. I left the textured side up to go along with the gray plastic parts (though the mud flaps are black).

I had to bevel the edges a bit to get a tight fit. For this I utilized a drum sander bit on my Dremel tool. BE CAREFUL as the course drums will remove a lot of material from the mud flaps quite quickly! Maybe practice on a piece of scrap first...

I did not want to mount them with fasteners so I tried to mount them (last year) with some 2-sided molding tape. But I think my tape was old and I had some issues with it sticking. So I utilized some black silicone (RTV). Took a bit of elbow grease to remove the remaining RTV once I removed the deflectors for summer riding.

This time, I'm using a GE bathroom caulk (goes on white, dries clear) and hopefully it will be a bit easier to remove. I simply ran a bead around the 2 edges of the deflectors that will stick to the fairing and mirror. **UPDATE** Use Permatex black RTV for easier removal. The GE stuff was a P.I.T.A. to remove! :nuts1:

Using some masking tape and a clamps I positioned the deflectors and left them to dry overnight.

I was pretty happy with both the looks and function of this farkle. The deflectors do a good job of keeping wind and rain off of my hands. And at about $13.00 ($10 mud flaps, $3 silicone) it's hard to go wrong!

And so ends another episode of "the Frugal Farkler"!! Tune in next time when I make a RAM ball GPS mount from a goat's testicle.....

**PDF file attached with scale trace of deflectors**
Subscribing to this thread to see the goat testicle thing......

Bike
St1100
Yeah its call Zip seal'n peel it's dries very clear. Just make sure to do a continuous line with the silicon so it comes off E-Z... To thin and you'll find it hard to remove, it has to stretch to come off

OP
OP
sirepair

sirepair

Let's RIDE!
Site Supporter
Bike
2003 ST1100P
STOC #
Yeah its call Zip seal'n peel it's dries very clear. Just make sure to do a continuous line with the silicon so it comes off E-Z... To thin and you'll find it hard to remove, it has to stretch to come off
Will have to see if I can find some. I've added over-the-mirror lights and will have to cut-to-fit these if I am to use them again.

Re: ST1100-el-cheapo Mirror Wind Deflectors

I like it! What do you think about industrial velcro ? Just make a small piece to put over the velcro during hot season.

I'm sure there is a low pressure area behind the deflectors, but I have not paid attention to whether it sucks in the rain. The goal was to get some of the cold air off of my hands (and not spend $50 doing it!) I have removed them for warmer weather riding, but I have discovered that the silicone that I used this year is of a higher quality than that I used last year and it is requiring some elbow grease to remove it!

I do want to develop a better way to attach them though. Just haven't taken the time to do it yet.
Another idea is use rivet nuts. They are nuts that haves a cylinder with threads. This will allow them to be easily glued in the holes that need to be drilled. This way you can remove the deflectors any time.

OP
OP
sirepair

sirepair

Let's RIDE!
Site Supporter
Bike
2003 ST1100P
STOC #
Welll-nuts (like used for mounting the windshield) is another option.

I still need to do cutouts for the lights I've mounted, just not high on priority list right now.

And we sold the goat before I could castrate him....

Timmy G

'96 ST1100
Made these up last year but never got around to do a write-up, so here is the belated one:

OK, so I'm a pretty frugal guy and dangerous with sharp objects, so I made a set of Mirror Wind Deflectors for my ST1100. I have the fairing deflectors (bought used) but did not get the mirror deflectors. I utilized a $10.00 set of generic mud flaps from my local auto parts store.

I played around with some card board to get the shape right, then hacked out the shapes from the plastic using a box knife. I left the textured side up to go along with the gray plastic parts (though the mud flaps are black).

I had to bevel the edges a bit to get a tight fit. For this I utilized a drum sander bit on my Dremel tool. BE CAREFUL as the course drums will remove a lot of material from the mud flaps quite quickly! Maybe practice on a piece of scrap first...

I did not want to mount them with fasteners so I tried to mount them (last year) with some 2-sided molding tape. But I think my tape was old and I had some issues with it sticking. So I utilized some black silicone (RTV). Took a bit of elbow grease to remove the remaining RTV once I removed the deflectors for summer riding.

This time, I'm using a GE bathroom caulk (goes on white, dries clear) and hopefully it will be a bit easier to remove. I simply ran a bead around the 2 edges of the deflectors that will stick to the fairing and mirror. UPDATE Use Permatex black RTV for easier removal. The GE stuff was a P.I.T.A. to remove! :nuts1:

Using some masking tape and a clamps I positioned the deflectors and left them to dry overnight.

I was pretty happy with both the looks and function of this farkle. The deflectors do a good job of keeping wind and rain off of my hands. And at about $13.00 ($10 mud flaps, $3 silicone) it's hard to go wrong!

And so ends another episode of "the Frugal Farkler"!! Tune in next time when I make a RAM ball GPS mount from a goat's testicle.....

PDF file attached with scale trace of deflectors
Good stuff - but what do you mean by "removal"? Do you remove the deflectors?!? Tim

OP
OP
sirepair

sirepair

Let's RIDE!
Site Supporter
Bike
2003 ST1100P
STOC #
Good stuff - but what do you mean by "removal"? Do you remove the deflectors?!? Tim
I wanted to be able to remove the deflectors without much of an issue. For some maintenance (changing a turn signal bulb) or for summer time.

I currently don't use these, but will likely make a new set, allowing for the over-the-mirror aux light brackets that I currently have installed.

Timmy G

'96 ST1100
Welcome to the forum Tim.
Thanks, Jim. I bought my '96 ST1100 about 6 weeks ago and found this forum. I've learned some great stuff already. I learned how to mount a top case by making an aluminum plate and mounting where the backrest is and foot plates for my gf's feet. Ideally, I'd like to find a local person who is knowledgeable who could walk me through some basic stuff like how to change a flat tire and the oil...love the ST....been on 2 trips already, about 1,000 miles each. Thing runs smooth at 80mph with 2 up...can barely hear it...absolutely love this bike.

Cheers!

Tim

Bike
VStrom 650
Thanks, Jim. I bought my '96 ST1100 about 6 weeks ago and found this forum. I've learned some great stuff already. I learned how to mount a top case by making an aluminum plate and mounting where the backrest is and foot plates for my gf's feet. Ideally, I'd like to find a local person who is knowledgeable who could walk me through some basic stuff like how to change a flat tire and the oil...love the ST....been on 2 trips already, about 1,000 miles each. Thing runs smooth at 80mph with 2 up...can barely hear it...absolutely love this bike.

Cheers!

Tim
Welcome from Northumberland UK Tim.
Enjoy your 11, they're the best aren't they.
Upt'North.

Timmy G

'96 ST1100
Welcome from Northumberland UK Tim.
Enjoy your 11, they're the best aren't they.
Upt'North.
They are - although with the weather turning warmer here in the Virgina area, my balls are starting to cook a little...gonna have to figure out how to cool off this engine.

Brilliant indeed. I have been contriving a similar mod and the pics are a real help. For a fastening method I am thinking of a 3M tape on the plastic then RTV to the tape. I'll try it out and see if it's an easy removal.
Vinnie
Just my two cents worth since we don’t have pennies in Canada anymore...Use a wax and grease remover (thoroughly wetted out cloth and then dry wipe while surface is wet, flipping the cloth to remove not just spreading around) whenever you’re using double-sided tape use an adhesion promoter On attachment surface. A good one I found is job size packaging is the 3M #06396
3M also makes a really heavy duty Velcro
Just 50+ years of Auto refinishing experience being given

STeve

Attachments

J'ai dû biseauter un peu les bords pour obtenir un ajustement serré. Pour cela, j'ai utilisé une ponceuse à tambour sur mon outil Dremel. SOYEZ PRUDENT car les tambours de cours enlèveront assez rapidement beaucoup de matière des garde-boue! Peut-être commencer par pratiquer sur un morceau de ferraille ...

Je ne voulais pas les monter avec des attaches, j'ai donc essayé de les monter (l'année dernière) avec du ruban de moulage à 2 faces. Mais je pense que ma cassette était vieille et que j'avais quelques problèmes de collage. J'ai donc utilisé du silicone noir (RTV). J'ai pris un peu d'huile de coude pour enlever le RTV restant une fois que j'ai enlevé les déflecteurs pour la conduite d'été.

Cette fois, j'utilise un mastic de salle de bain GE (passe en blanc, sèche clairement) et j'espère qu'il sera un peu plus facile à enlever. J'ai simplement passé une perle autour des 2 bords des déflecteurs qui collera au carénage et au miroir. ** MISE À JOUR ** Utilisez Permatex noir RTV pour un retrait plus facile. Le truc GE était un PITA à supprimer! : noix1:

En utilisant du ruban adhésif et des pinces, j'ai positionné les déflecteurs et les ai laissés sécher pendant la nuit.

J'étais assez content à la fois de l'apparence et de la fonction de ce farkle. Les déflecteurs font un bon travail pour garder le vent et la pluie hors de mes mains. Et à environ 13,00 $ (10 $ de garde-boue, 3 $ de silicone), il est difficile de se tromper!

Et ainsi se termine un autre épisode de "The Frugal Farkler" !! Syntonisez la prochaine fois que je fabrique un support GPS à boule RAM à partir d'un testicule de chèvre .....

** Fichier PDF joint avec trace d'échelle des déflecteurs **
[/CITATION]
cherche à trouver un déflecteur de genou et je ne peux trouver aucune idée où je peux en trouver

[QUOTE = "Suivre, publier: 890792, membre: 12542"]
Re: Déflecteurs de vent miroir el-cheapo ST1100 sur mesure

gentil M. frugal: oui:
[/CITATION]
eed pour trouver une idée de déflecteur de genou ?

This time, I'm using a GE bathroom caulk (goes on white, dries clear) and hopefully it will be a bit easier to remove. I simply ran a bead around the 2 edges of the deflectors that will stick to the fairing and mirror. **UPDATE** Use Permatex black RTV for easier removal. The GE stuff was a P.I.T.A. to remove! :nuts1:

**PDF file attached with scale trace of deflectors**

Top Bottom