Article [13] ST1300 - Quartet Harness Installation

crazykz

R.I.P. - 2012/06/16
Rest In Peace
Bike
2007 ST1300A
STOC #
To view this article, click on the link to the attached PDF file..

Scans of the original Honda supplied installation instructions, mastered by BeBeep, are also included.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
crazykz

crazykz

R.I.P. - 2012/06/16
Rest In Peace
Bike
2007 ST1300A
STOC #
Boy do I need to proof read. Well I'll go back and fix some stuff but I'll wait a while for any comments. I wanted to get this out there quickly.

Curt

I have a question. Where is the 9-pin connector in picture 9 - I can see a lot of wiring connectors but which is which ? Thanks. :rolleyes:

Curt,
I like the article and could of used some of the pics when I did mine. One thing I can think of that I had problems with routing. The first time I did it I put it outbd of the other wire bundle and found that it interfered with the fairing installation.

Jody

OP
OP
crazykz

crazykz

R.I.P. - 2012/06/16
Rest In Peace
Bike
2007 ST1300A
STOC #
nisbeam said:
I have a question. Where is the 9-pin connector in picture 9 - I can see a lot of wiring connectors but which is which ? Thanks. :rolleyes:
Do you mean the picture in step 9 or the least picture in the article?

The picture in step 9 only shows the 9 pin connector that attaches to the bike wiring harness. The last picture in the article shows three 3-pin connectors and then behind them is the 9 pin connector. That 9-pin connector is one to connect devices to and is not the 9-pin connector that attaches to the bike.

Curt

Hi Curt. It was the pic in step 9 I was refering to. The reason is I cant find any unused 9 pin connectors. I have a fancy alarm system fitted and they may have used the connector when they fitted it - but I would have thought not. So perhaps I have a quartet harness fitted already but just couldn't see the ends. I think it's off with the plastic again & have another look. Thanks. :03biker:

OP
OP
crazykz

crazykz

R.I.P. - 2012/06/16
Rest In Peace
Bike
2007 ST1300A
STOC #
nisbeam said:
Hi Curt. It was the pic in step 9 I was refering to. The reason is I cant find any unused 9 pin connectors. I have a fancy alarm system fitted and they may have used the connector when they fitted it - but I would have thought not. So perhaps I have a quartet harness fitted already but just couldn't see the ends. I think it's off with the plastic again & have another look. Thanks. :03biker:
If they did use that connector then it may just be a matter of looking at wires they used and then seeing if you would be able to just connect their connector to the 9-pin connector on the quartet harness.

Take a picture of the connector that they added but you may want to look up in the fairing and see if you can see the 4 connectors from the quartet harness. Takes some pics and let us know.

Curt

Re: ST1300 Quartet Harness Installation

Hi guys.

I ordered the quartet harness from Honda and I was looking at the installation sheet that came with it. Boy you sure have to remove a lot of panels and cowls to install this thing!

One thing I wonder though. Must we also remove the "meter panel", i.e. the panel with all the indicators (speedometer, RPM dial, etc)? I can't check it out yet because my bike is still in storage but if we have to remove the meter panel won't there be a lot of connectors to worry about as well?

When you look at the quartet harness installation document created by crazykz :)bow1:) it does not mention anything about the meter panel. Unfortunately also the pictures do not show whether or not that panel is removed.

What say you?

Jean

Jean, I just installed the Quartet Harness yesterday and did not remove the Meter Panel. Space is a little tighter but it can be done.
Ken :D

Jean, I just installed the Quartet Harness yesterday and did not remove the Meter Panel. Space is a little tighter but it can be done.
Ken :D
Huh, space is tight? Meter panel has nothing to do with the Quartet Harness unless I missed something. The left side fairing has to be removed to gain access to where the Quartet Harness plugs into, then button it back up (after you add the acc. you want).

Huh, space is tight? Meter panel has nothing to do with the Quartet Harness unless I missed something. The left side fairing has to be removed to gain access to where the Quartet Harness plugs into, then button it back up (after you add the acc. you want).
Hi Hojo.

Maybe you don't have to take off the meter panel, I don't know. It's just that when I look at the installation instructions sheets on page 1 they seem to remove screws from the meter panel and then on page 2 the meter panel stands beside the motorcycle, along with other pieces taken off like the left inner cowl, middle cow, etc.

I think I just realized that when/if you take off the meter panel you do not have to worry about wires and connectors because the meter panel surrounds the dials (the dials are not part of the meter panel). Although if you want to install the 12V accessory then it becomes interesting (if not necessary) to remove the meter panel as well.

Anyway I can't wait to bring my bike home and get that job done.:06biker:

Jean

I just installed the harness and the 12v plug in the right pocket. I didn't remove the meter panel. With both side panels off you can easily feed the harness accross under the meters and wire tie it to the metal frame for a neat finish.

On my Quartet Harness installation instructions sheet they show removal of the Meter Panel with a diagram. :D
Ken

Hi Hojo.

Maybe you don't have to take off the meter panel, I don't know. It's just that when I look at the installation instructions sheets on page 1 .Jean
What! What instructions? Who actually reads the instructions! :D

Hi all.

I completed my quartet harness installation last week-end. I understand now why Honda's instructions mention removing the meter panel. It makes it easier to replace the top end of the left middle cowl. Also I found that only after removing the left middle cowl could I remove the inner lower cowl.

But overall the illustrated instructions I found here helped me a lot. The thing that gave me the most trouble was not finding the proper connector bundle but re-inserting it properly inside the holder of the fairing pocket. Not the most convenient setup if you ask me! BTW I used a couple of posi-lock connectors to wire my GPS power cable onto the quartet harness. Great invention these posi-locks!!

Now my GPS is connected and I am all set for my big ride to Tennessee.

Thank you all for your help.

Jean

Bike
ST1300

Hey CrazyKZ,

Great reference guide that you did for the installation of the Quartet Harness. It's always good to know about what your getting yourself into before doing the deed.

I did not see any mentions of the dielectric grease in your guide or post.

Did you use any? :confused:

The only dielectric grease that I know of is commonly known as ignition wire grease, which is silicon based. Is that stuff they are referring to?

I hope to install this cable assembly soon and install the Honda Heated Grips that I got. :tools1:

Last edited:

toolman

Smiling Every Day
Bike
'21 R 1250RT

Thanks for the informative post, crazykz. I installed the harness and a 12v outlet for my GPS this weekend, and the pictures you posted helped out. I also installed my HeliBar riser plate.

By the way, I don't know why you guys say the tuperware is hard to get off. That part was easy. Now getting that all back on - that was fun!

To view this article, click on the link to the attached PDF file.

Scans of the original Honda supplied installation instructions, mastered by BeBeep, are also included.
may i ask what this harness is used for and for what equipment.
thanks

Bike
ST1300

Thank you so much for your detailed instructions. I have several projects in store for my ST1300. I have already purchased a Stebel horn, left and right fairing powerlets, helibars with ram mount and powerlet for my garmin. I was going to install them individually as I had time. But with the information I have found from several of your articles, I will wait and make it one giant install and do them all at the same time, and also insulate my fuel tank from the engine heat and wrap/insulate my exhaust pipes at the same time too. After that it will be a J&M sound/cb/intercom/phone/gps system, driving lights, and electronic cruise control. Then a UNI-GO trailer hitch and trailer.

Again, thank you for all of your efforts and knowledge sharing here at the ST-Owners forum.

Thanks again,

db

Top Bottom