Build a Trip with Google Maps

Bike
Red
STOC #
Sending a map to GPS:

http://gps.about.com/od/gpsmapscharts/ht/google_garmin.htm
http://gps.about.com/od/testcategory1/ht/Google_Send.htm

Make a map:

enter a list of destinations such as "langley, bc to: pemberton, bc to: hope, bc". You can specify destinations by including something like: "starbucks langley, bc to:gas pemberton, bc to:subway hope, bc". An alternative for destinations is right click wherever you want to start and select "directions from here" right click wherever you want to go and select "directions to here" if you want to continue your route select another location and select "add a destination". To modify the chosen route click anywhere on the route and drag the line to another road.

Example Trip Planning

If you are planning gas, food, and restaurant stops along your trip begin with various destinations:

example interior run

and calculate your fuel range, desired daily distance, time between meals etc. As an example lets assume 250km fuel range, 600km daily distance, meals every 4 hours.

For fuel going down the list of distances fuel is needed after lytton, near fintry, at osoyoos, and 2/3 the distance from osoyoos. On the left column with the list of destinations click add destination and enter "gas, city, province" then select the destination from the list and upon recalculation move the destination from the bottom to the appropriate order.

example

Now that you have your required fuel stops decide your required places to sleep. Search for either camping, bed breakfast, or hotel/motel/hostel at whatever destination/distance/time you want to stop lets say... bed breakfast vernon bc.

example.

Now decide places to stop and eat. You may want to favor speed, time of day, distance, convenience or destination. Key terms could be pub, bar, restaurant, food, grill etc.

example.

Some Local Trips:

"starbucks langley, bc to: wendel's cafe fort langley, bc to: river rd langley, bc to: lou's grill abbotsford, bc".

Start with coffee or gas in langley, modify for derby reach, backroads along river road north of the highway with a destination of lou's pub in abbotsford.

"lougheed hwy maple ridge, bc to: haney bypass maple ridge, bc to: shake shingle pub maple ridge, bc to: stave lake rd mission, bc to: sasquatch inn aggasiz, bc "

starting somewhere along lougheed in maple ridge take haney and modify some backroads to stop as the shake & shingle pub on 287th. Take backroads to stave lake rd then ride down to the sasquatch pub in aggasiz.

"tim hortons aldergrove, bc to: 0 ave abbotsford, bc to: cultas lake chilliwack, bc to: chilliwack lake chilliwack, bc to: ryder lake chilliwack, bc to: pub chilliwack, bc"

Start with coffee or gas in aldergrove, a run down to 0-ave out to chilliwack for a run behind cultas lake, chilliwack lake, or ryder lake finishing with a bite in chilliwack.

I hope this helps someone starting out find a piece of paradise I know it makes my life easier.

Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
Sending a map to GPS:

http://gps.about.com/od/gpsmapscharts/ht/google_garmin.htm

Make a map:

I hope this helps someone starting out find a piece of paradise I know it makes my life easier.
Wondering if there is a way to make this work when you travel east.

For instance, if you pick a location in Austria, Google offers the option to send the coordinates to GPS, as described in your link above.

Pick a location next door in Hungary, and the option is no longer available!

EASt

Streuselkuchen
Bike
S1000XR
Well, now, this is cool. Great post!!

Has anyone figured out a way to save a great route to "My Maps"? It seems that route building like this is exclusive to planning, and not saving your progress.

(I just wish I could get my google maps to post with the GMAP tag.) :mad:

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles

LOL.. I just don't know what your issue is with that... I can't remember if you ever tried with a different pc.

OP
OP
schmii
Bike
Red
STOC #

Has anyone figured out a way to save a great route to "My Maps"? It seems that route building like this is exclusive to planning, and not saving your progress.

. . . Did they just add my maps on the left column this week? It seems this guide is beat by a new feature allowing creation, marking and saving public with a title.

To save your progress using the above method there is a "link" text on the top-right that saves your map for future use as used above.

EASt

Streuselkuchen
Bike
S1000XR
. . . Did they just add my maps on the left column this week? It seems this guide is beat by a new feature allowing creation, marking and saving public with a title.

To save your progress using the above method there is a "link" text on the top-right that saves your map for future use as used above.
The Link feature is superior to My Maps, I think.

When you are creating a named, collaborative, titled map under My Maps, you can not do routing. You can draw a route with a pencil, but you can not have Google create routes as you've described. :nuts1:

randy the x man

R.I.P. - 2013/06/23
Rest In Peace
It is easy to send waypoints or favorites from google to your garmin. But you cannot send a complete route. However Microsoft Streets and Trips 2010 can. You can easily just like google map a route. You then export to a gpx file. You can then copy the gpx file to the gpx folder in your garmin. Then you use the garmin import function to import it to routes. It works great.

You can download a full functioning trial streets and trips that will work for 60 days to try it out. Costs on ST is $29 to $39. Another advantage is you do not need to have internet for ST to work. So you can use it anywhere. Load it on a netbook and carry it with you. If you have internet and you want to se a sat view there is a view in bing option.

Click here for more info

Thanks
Randy The X Man
www.nwbikers.com

Top Bottom