Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12202122

Thread: ST1300 - Screen Mod

Bike
    04 ST
    Tip Overs
    My Gallery

Re: ST1300 - Screen Mod

Quote Originally Posted by Catmandu2 View Post
    Looks solid, Beeker,,, be sure to let us know how it performs for you once you get a chance to test it. Do you feel a change in turbulence or back pressure ?? Cat'
    I am ready to test as soon as I can roll! Just need another set of hands to tip her off the centerstand dolly. Checked the air pressure today and I am ready and willing! Unfortunately since I have not ridden since last fall my observations will be highly subjective but I will post to the best of my ability.
    Last edited by beeker; 09-10-2016 at 08:52 AM.

Bike
    2005 ST1300 ABS
    Tip Overs
    2017 Miles

My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by beeker View Post
    I will post to the best of my ability
    Please do.

STOC # 7982
    IBA # 53636
    The road is not a friendly place, but it is a friend of mine....

Bike
    2007 ST1300 ABS
    Tip Overs
    My Gallery

This looks great Beeker - and very solid with good use of inexpensive materials. I am getting my bike out early next (come heck or high water) and will be looking to doing this mod soon.

Pete
    The harder I work, the luckier I get.

Bike
    04 ST
    Tip Overs
    My Gallery

I am ready to test as soon as I can roll! Just need another set of hands to tip her off the centerstand dolly. Checked the air pressure today and I am ready and willing! Unfortunately since I have not ridden since last fall my observations will be highly subjective but I will post to the best of my ability.
    Have been out a couple of times with the mod to 'stretch my legs'. NOW, I am pretty green re: the ST and didn't realize that the wind shield had 2 dedicated settings as part of the mounting bracket (low and high). When I re-assembled with this mod I mounted in the low position. With the wind shield fully raised the airflow could be felt deflecting up above my visor but it did hit the top of my helmet (loud and buffeting). I am 6' tall. The top of the screen was a couple of inches below my line of sight. I remounted the screen in the higher position and the stream seems to pass completely over me now (much quieter inside my helmet). There is a lot of air coming under the screen, passing over me and the feeling of 'suction' (back pressure) is gone. I think I have to ride in the rain to further evaluate

Bike
    2007 ST1300 ABS
    Tip Overs
    My Gallery

Cool - results so far sound pretty positive.

Keep up the great reports.

Peter

Bike
    04 ST
    Tip Overs
    My Gallery

I was quite surprised at the amount of space under the windshield when ir was raised. When driving the 'quiet' zone where turbulence around the helmet ceased remained at close to maximum height. There is a great deal of air coming under the windshield and it hit my body. Any feeling of 'back pressure' was gone but i was unsure of whether I could call the mod an improvement until today. I was driving in overcast conditions at highway speeds. Windshield was full up and I was peering just over the top lip. I can feel the deflected wind from the top of the windshield going to the top of my helmet and a column of air coming under the screen and hitting me in the chest. I noticed that it started to rain because raindrops were collecting onto my visor ...as well as the windscreen. I think in a heavier rain I would get quite wet behind this modded screen. I intend to remove the brackets and see of I can reduce the adjusted area by 50%.

EDIT: After a summer of riding I can report the following. The mod allows a tunnel of air to flow under the windshield and breaks up back pressure. Definitely helps in hotriding conditions. In the high position the shield creates movement in the front end in buffeting conditions esp a speed. I need to assess my sag and that would help handling. A drop to the lower windshield setting reduces the 'dancing. Protection is also reduced at all settings. Pillion reports buffeting in all settings. I am going to reduce the rake the and try again before the season ends. The plan now is to look for better windshields. Sorry to say, IMO this one did not work for me.
    Last edited by beeker; 09-10-2016 at 08:52 AM.

My Gallery

Great job and very ingenious !!

+ New Posts
Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12202122