Article [13] ST1300 - Screen Mod

OP
OP
georgeorge said:
I actually like the 1 piece mod. Looks like I might give it a try. The 2 piece mod, I have worries about. I don't think I would wanna be the one behind the shield in the test drive of that one. I really think that the force that the wind puts on the front of the shield is gonna be great enough to just pivot the shield around. Maybe even with catastropic force. The mod really needs to be a 1 piece design.
Hi George,

my idea with the second 2 piece mod is simply to try and determin what angle the screen really needs to be. I know Rifle say it should be shallowed by 4 deg, but I dont think it will be the same for all riders, pillions, and all screens. When I've got a better idea I'll make another one piece plate, if I actually improve on the first plate that is.

I'll let you know.

Stu

Bike
BMW GS
I'll powdercoat these tomorrow and then get them in the mail to DonD for trial fitting. Should be pretty close on hole spacing, but may require a little bit of "finish machining" to get the holes to line up.

Based on Don's input, I'll whip out some more using thinner material - these are made from 1/4" aluminum and are a bit too beefy.

Eric

Attachments

STOC #
Brackets

I really appreciate the effort, creativitiy and ingeniousness that you guys put into these projects and then openly share with the rest of us. It's a consistent characteristic of the people that contribute to this site.

I would like to ask one question to Stuey and Earache; what is controlling the lateral movement of the shield when there is pressure on the shield from the wind? I would imagine that the shield would be really shaking from side-to-side given the length of the brackets and especially the two-piece units. Are the brackets too thick to allow this type of movement from the shield?

Thanks again,
David

Bike
BMW GS
David -

The set that I made fortesting by DonD are made from 1/4" thicvk aluminum bar stock. I suspect that these are a bit thicker than is required, but thinker is better than too thin. I'll await DonD's input after he gets them installed.

I have tons of carbon fiber sheet, some 1/4" thick, that I can make them from as well. The surface finish wouldn't look as good as powdercoated aluminum, but it is carbon fiber and some people like that. I hate to cut fiber though, it stinks something awful when you cut it:D

The next ones that I make, and I'll make several sets while I'm at it, will be from 1.500" wide X 0.125" aluminum - we'll see how that does. I suspect it'll be fine.

Eric

OP
OP
Fastraveller said:
I would like to ask one question to Stuey and Earache; what is controlling the lateral movement of the shield when there is pressure on the shield from the wind? I would imagine that the shield would be really shaking from side-to-side given the length of the brackets and especially the two-piece units. Are the brackets too thick to allow this type of movement from the shield?

Thanks again,
David
Hi David,

the steel angle brackets which bolt to the screen seem to provide enough stiffness and lateral support. I certainley didn't notice any problem at all.

Stu

Bike
BMW GS
blumax said:
Eric,

How much are you going to charge if you start making these?:04biker:
I don't wanna make any cash - just postage really. The aluminum, assuming we can use 1/8" is pretty cheap. a 1.5" X 6 foot long bar is about $10.

Powder for powdercoating is like $20 for 2lbs. and I can do about 400 of them with 2 lbs. of powder. Postage at $3-4 is by far the msot expensive part.

Anyway, it'll be at cost, no profit needed (other than buying me a beer someday if our paths cross:D )

Eric

STOC #
Here's my shot at it. I gotta say, I like this mod. Not only is it gonna help with the buffeting, but it also allows easier cleaning of the area under the shield. I chose to polish the aluminum pieces instead of powdercoating them and I love the results. Not only did I extend the shield out, but I also lowered it so as not to make the shield any higher looking through it. And I also angled it down a degree or 2. I can't test it out yet because of the northeast weather, but as soon as I can I'll update.

Also you guys with Calsci shields might like this mod because the shield would no longer hit the mirror housings.

Attachments

STOC #
Mighy fine effort for the modification. I do have a question though. Maybe it is because I am from the cruiser world but what buffetting are you talking about. I took the Ms's out on mine and asked her if she noticed any "wind buffet" she said no. I even adjusted the windscreen to various heights and nothing. So am I missing something here.
The modification looks very carefully thought out too.

STOC #
The buffeting is very profound (I impress myself) when you're following a truck on the highway. It's that feeling of being knocked around. The backpressure is how the wind feels like it is pushing you forward. It makes your arms tired holding up your weight all the time. You had to have noticed that. If not, do this. Get on the highway with the windshield all the way down and ride like that for a couple minutes. Then without stopping put the windshield all the way up and feel the difference. It's now very obvious that the wind is pushing you forward. And the reason is because there is not enough wind getting under the windshield to try to keep the same air pressure behind the shield as in front of the shield. This mod helps to get more air under the shield and thus should help with both buffeting and backpressure.

STOC #
OK...I just got back from a 10-12 mile test ride. All I can say is "wow". It made a huge difference in the turbulance. It's almost non-existent now. And the backpressure is greatly improved. It's still there a little with the shield full up and 70 mph, but nowhere near what it was before the mod.
Thanks for the idea guys. It works great. Oh and as far as stability of the shield itself......It's just as solid now as before. I used 1/8th inch aluminum and it's fine.

Bike
BMW GS
georgeorge said:
I used 1/8th inch aluminum and it's fine.
Thanks GG! Pretty much as I suspected. I'll make a batch of these 1/8" thick brackets next week and then powdercoat or polish them (your choice). Just PM me if you want a set.

Eric

Bike
Aprilia Atlantic 200
STOC #
Eric, I got the brackets and they are on. I have not ride teSTed yet. "We" do need to make them from thinner STock. The nuts were able to catch only about two threads.
I will remove them at a later date and juST countersink to gain some threads.

I'll poST my poST ride findings :)

Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
Bike
BMW GS
dond said:
"We" do need to make them from thinner STock. The nuts were able to catch only about two threads...
I realized that, but didn't have any 1/8" stock scraps lying around. I'll make another set for you out of the thinner stuff when I get back home from vacation.

Speaking of which, I drove right past you today - went to the Reagan Library in Simi Valley to see the Air Force One display. Pretty cool! I was suprised how small Reagan's 707 was - kinda cramped.

Highly recommend the tour to anyone who finds themselves in the area.

Eric

Last edited:
STOC #
MidLife said:
Brian,

Wondering if before your "wow" experience you had your brackets in the upper or lower position?

Am referring to royws' post under:

https://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5007&highlight=unbelievable
I know some say to put the shield brackets in the upper setting, but I really like looking over the sheild as much as possible in nice weather conditions. So, to answer your question, both tries were in the lower position, before and after the mod.

Top Bottom