Article [13] ST1300 - Screen Mod

Bike
04 ST
STOC #
My 'just completed' mod. Bought 2 'Mending plates' from the fence bracket section section at Rona (lowes, home depot). About $1,20 each. Enlarged existing holes where possible. Hacksaw cut to size. Grinder to round corners. Plates (2 X $1.20) 4 X 6 mil nuts and bolts (approx $3) paint and primer aerosols (about $13.00). Original trim covers fit back on perfectly when completed. Shopping, painting and drying was the majority of the time investment. The vertical arms are angled outwards slightly so that the brackets will mount flush to the curved windshield. The extentions were placed in a vice and each bent inwards slightly so that the mounting holes to the windshield would align without placing a twisting stress on the vertical arms.

windshiekd mod 3.jpgwindshiekd mod 2.jpgwindshiekd mod 1.jpgwindshield mar202016 1.jpgwindshield mar202016 2.jpg

Last edited:
Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
Looks solid, Beeker,,, be sure to let us know how it performs for you once you get a chance to test it. Do you feel a change in turbulence or back pressure ?? Cat'

My 'just completed' mod. Bought 2 'Mending plates' from the fence bracket section section at Rona (lowes, home depot). About $1,20 each. Enlarged existing holes where possible. Hacksaw cut to size. Grinder to round corners. Plates (2 X $1.20) 4 X 6 mil nuts and bolts (approx $3) paint and primer aerosols (about $13.00). Original trim covers fit back on perfectly when completed. Shopping, painting and drying was the majority of the time investment. The vertical arms are angled outwards slightly so that the brackets will mount flush to the curved windshield. The extentions were placed in a vice and each bent inwards slightly so that the mounting holes to the windshield would align without placing a twisting stress on the vertical arms.

windshiekd mod 3.jpgwindshiekd mod 2.jpgwindshiekd mod 1.jpgwindshield mar202016 1.jpgwindshield mar202016 2.jpg

Bike
04 ST
STOC #
Looks solid, Beeker,,, be sure to let us know how it performs for you once you get a chance to test it. Do you feel a change in turbulence or back pressure ?? Cat'
I am ready to test as soon as I can roll! Just need another set of hands to tip her off the centerstand dolly. Checked the air pressure today and I am ready and willing! Unfortunately since I have not ridden since last fall my observations will be highly subjective but I will post to the best of my ability.

Last edited:
Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
This looks great Beeker - and very solid with good use of inexpensive materials. I am getting my bike out early next (come heck or high water) and will be looking to doing this mod soon.

Pete

Bike
04 ST
STOC #
I am ready to test as soon as I can roll! Just need another set of hands to tip her off the centerstand dolly. Checked the air pressure today and I am ready and willing! Unfortunately since I have not ridden since last fall my observations will be highly subjective but I will post to the best of my ability.
Have been out a couple of times with the mod to 'stretch my legs'. NOW, I am pretty green re: the ST and didn't realize that the wind shield had 2 dedicated settings as part of the mounting bracket (low and high). When I re-assembled with this mod I mounted in the low position. With the wind shield fully raised the airflow could be felt deflecting up above my visor but it did hit the top of my helmet (loud and buffeting). I am 6' tall. The top of the screen was a couple of inches below my line of sight. I remounted the screen in the higher position and the stream seems to pass completely over me now (much quieter inside my helmet). There is a lot of air coming under the screen, passing over me and the feeling of 'suction' (back pressure) is gone. I think I have to ride in the rain to further evaluate

Bike
04 ST
STOC #
I was quite surprised at the amount of space under the windshield when ir was raised. When driving the 'quiet' zone where turbulence around the helmet ceased remained at close to maximum height. There is a great deal of air coming under the windshield and it hit my body. Any feeling of 'back pressure' was gone but i was unsure of whether I could call the mod an improvement until today. I was driving in overcast conditions at highway speeds. Windshield was full up and I was peering just over the top lip. I can feel the deflected wind from the top of the windshield going to the top of my helmet and a column of air coming under the screen and hitting me in the chest. I noticed that it started to rain because raindrops were collecting onto my visor ...as well as the windscreen. I think in a heavier rain I would get quite wet behind this modded screen. I intend to remove the brackets and see of I can reduce the adjusted area by 50%.

EDIT: After a summer of riding I can report the following. The mod allows a tunnel of air to flow under the windshield and breaks up back pressure. Definitely helps in hotriding conditions. In the high position the shield creates movement in the front end in buffeting conditions esp a speed. I need to assess my sag and that would help handling. A drop to the lower windshield setting reduces the 'dancing. Protection is also reduced at all settings. Pillion reports buffeting in all settings. I am going to reduce the rake the and try again before the season ends. The plan now is to look for better windshields. Sorry to say, IMO this one did not work for me.

Last edited:
Bike
2006 ST1300ABS
I know this is an old thread. Does anyone have any updates on how they finalized their settings on the brackets?

Bike
2011 ST_1300 PA
STOC #
I moved mine out and down 1" and also tilted back about 12 or 14°, makes a huge difference. I like looking over instead of through the shield, so that's why I lowered it, the tilt back helps with turbulence as much more air comes under the shield. Besides it looks cool with the shield that low

20230924_120239.jpg20230924_120216.jpg20230924_115802.jpg20230924_115907.jpg

Hound

Cave Canem
Bike
2004 ST1300PA
STOC #
Looks very similar to my set-up.

bracket.jpg

bracket 2.jpg

The alloy has got a bit grotty after all those years on the bike so deserves a clean-up.

20230924_195040.jpg

Hound

Cave Canem
Bike
2004 ST1300PA
STOC #
I could never get paint to stick satisfactorily to aluminium, even with an etching primer, so I was lazy and left them raw! ;)

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
I have a similar type setup using the OEM screen and homemade inserts. Can't recall the positions of the OEM screen bolts though as I think there are different holes.

Even with this I still get buffeting. Am thinking about adding an adjustable lip like the one @Happy Rob has.

IMG_4960.JPG

Here's mine:

IMG_5152.JPG
IMG_5153.JPGIMG_5156.JPGIMG_5154.JPGIMG_5155.JPG

Bike
ST1300PA
Thank you to everyone for sharing their designs, I made a set of spacers from for my bike and they work great!

IMG20240312130351-EDIT.jpg IMG20240117163835 (1).jpg

I made them from 1/8" aluminum and they are pretty easy to make yourself. I have attached a 1:1 scale dimensioned pdf to this post so you can print and trace the pattern to make them yourselves.

If anyone is interested in purchasing them, I can make a set for $25 with free USA shipping. They will be like the attached pics and painted black with pressed in M6 studs so you can use the nuts from the bike and also includes an extra set of M6 nuts needed to mount them, so all hardware is included. Installs in 5 min. Feel free to message me if you are interested or have any questions.

Jason

Attachments

Top Bottom