Article [13] ST1300 - Screen Mod

Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
georgeorge said:
both tries were in the lower position, before and after the mod.
After reading other posts on this boards, I moved the shield to the upper position and was very pleased with the results. Same observations as described on this thread on using the experimental mounting bracket.

georgeorge said:
I really like looking over the sheild as much as possible in nice weather conditions..
Will also have to lower the shield in the summer, to get maximum cool off. Can you feel a difference in air flow with the spacer bracket installed and the shield in the lowest position? May have to look at this spacer for the summer.

tdeboeser

that's not me!
STOC #
Does this mod raise the shield? I've got my stock bracket, upside down, and on the highest setup.

This has reduced the buffeting, and allows me to see over it. But it is still a little too high for me (ex-sport bike guy :p: ). So this mod appears to move the shield out, is that right?

thanks,

Tom de

STOC #
The brackets described early in this thread moved the shield directly out by about 1 inch which had to raise it a little. The one's I've made move the shield out by about 1 inch and down by about 3/4 inch so as not to make to shield physically any higher than before, but just moves it away.

Just so were on the same page here....I have the electric windshield installed, so when I say full up or full down what I mean is with the motor full up or down. I'm not sure if you have the electric windshield or not as I see your on a 2003.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Further Update

Hi chaps,

we've been out on the Pan today for the first time with the mk11 2 piece bracket arrangement (as in post #16). I set the brackets in a position which was parallel to the moving brackets on the bike so the screen was at the same angle as stock, but with an increased offset of 1 1/2" from the 1" on the first set of brackets.
After covering one of our frequently ridden routes, which takes in open A roads as well as twisty back roads and speeds up to 100mph and 90mph cruising, I feel this position is a further improvement.
Neither of us encountered any real buffeting even at the speeds mentioned, although there was some noise, which felt strange without the buffeting.
Back pressure was only evident with the screen right up at the top.

I think i will alter the angle of the screen for my next ride out, then make up another set of one piece plates with either parallel holes or with the reduced angle if that helps any.

Stu

Bike
Aprilia Atlantic 200
STOC #
FirST ride wth "STuey STruts".

Power screen in loweST manual position w/Laminar Lip.
Reduced turbulence at any speed with about the same amount of air flow. Quieter due to the smoother air. Max speed about 85mph.
My spacers are the ones Earache made and they rock. I don't know how the "Norman Notch" works but I have the feeling it's very similar in results...Excellent !!

Bike
BMW GS
So what do ya think Dond? Same design only thinner (1/8") material? I could slot one of the holes to allow the bottom (or top) of the windshield to move in and out a bit more if you think that'd help - something like this CAD (Corona Aided Design) drawing....

Eric

Attachments

Last edited:
OP
OP
Earache said:
So what do ya think Dond? Same design only thinner (1/8") material? I could slot one of the holes to allow the bottom (or top) of the windshield to move in and out a bit more if you think that'd help - something like this CAD (Corona Aided Design) drawing....

Eric
I sort of did the slot thing on my first set if you look back.
The trouble is, there isn't that much room for movement due to the close proximity of the screen, worth a try though.

I'm going to get some wider stock and make a set with 1 1/2" off set and a taper angle of 5 deg, which I think should be about spot on.

Stu

Bike
Aprilia Atlantic 200
STOC #
I think a wee bit of rake increase would be good if possible. As is works so well but great discoveries aren't made by being timid :cool:

"To boldly go................."

Last edited:
STOC #
Hey Don....With the brackets, as made by earache, doesn't the screen seem to be physically higher. Just moving the screen away like that has to make it higher. That's why I lowered mine by about 3/4 of an inch. That way the screen is actually moved to the front of the bike instead of up and away.

Bike
BMW GS
dond said:
I think a wee bit of rake increase would be good if possible. QUOTE]

It's certainly possible and I'll do just that to one of the next sets I send to you. Should have them out later this weeek.

Eric

Bike
Aprilia Atlantic 200
STOC #
georgeorge said:
Hey Don....With the brackets, as made by earache, doesn't the screen seem to be physically higher. Just moving the screen away like that has to make it higher. That's why I lowered mine by about 3/4 of an inch. That way the screen is actually moved to the front of the bike instead of up and away.
GG you did answer your own queSTion didn't you. :) Projecting a STraight line it looks like the screen is about 1/2" higher.

tdeboeser

that's not me!
STOC #
georgeorge said:
Just so were on the same page here....I have the electric windshield installed, so when I say full up or full down what I mean is with the motor full up or down. I'm not sure if you have the electric windshield or not as I see your on a 2003.
Thanks for the info, I do have the electric kit installed. Think I'll look into the mod on post #6

Good work guys, and thanks,

Tom de

OP
OP
Altering Screen Angle and Hieght

Hi guys,

when you guys mention altering the rake or angle of screen, just be aware that if you steepen the angle you will probably increase the back pressure, which with a pillion could be a problem.

As for reducing the hieght by drilling the holes further down the plates, this will also steepen the rake of the screen for any given hieght due to the fact that the electric screen sliders are curved. What I meen by this is, if you ride with the screen just below eye level say, with it lowerd on the plates it will actually be steeper because you will have to raise it further.

As mentioned earlier, Rifle and posibly some other manufacturers produce shims or spacers to shallow the angle of the screen.

Stu

STOC #
Screen Angle

Hmmm, I assumed that when the discussion was about altering the angle of the screen occured, it meant that the top of the screen would be tilted further back than stock, increasing the angle from straight up and down, not steepening the shield. I agree with you Stu that steepening the screen would increase back pressure, and maybe noise, and I think it would be the wrong way to go. I'm not sure that is what they were intending though.

I think DonD hit the nail on the head when he suggested an increase of about 5 degrees in angle. I followed the FJR and FZ1 sites for a long time when those bikes were introduced. Their wind shields were notorious for their back pressure and none of the aftermarket shields solved the problem until Rifle introduced their "tuning blocks" which increased the angle by 4 degrees as I recall.

David

Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
A backet that laid the shield down more sounds interesting. A small amount would compensate for the shield angle becoming more vertical as raised. So a middle raise would have an angle like al the way down. When you have the shield all down you are looking for air in the body so who cares about the angle. Shuch a change would also keep the shield trailing edge at about the same distance from the body. Just moving out moves the shield further away from the body.

Someone mentioned the FJR shield. That design raises by mostly making the shield more vertical. Something like 20 degrees for the 4" travel. The ST changes angle something like 14 degrees for the 7" travel.

Bike
BMW GS
Okay, powder is on and they're ready to ship. Shipping today to:

1) Fast Traveler
2) Norman PCN
3) DonD
4) Ligito

These are the 1/8" thick brackets with black semi gloss powdercoat.

Eric

Attachments

Bike
Aprilia Atlantic 200
STOC #
Earache said:

1) Fast Traveler
2) Norman PCN
3) DonD
4) Ligito

Eric
WooHoo! FirST Farkle Of The New Year :cool:

Medicine Bear

R.I.P. - 2010/11/14
Rest In Peace
STOC #
Earache said:

1) Fast Traveler
2) Norman PCN
3) DonD
4) Ligito

Eric
Okay, I want 4 sets of reports on my computer in two weeks or less! ;)

Fred :03biker:

STOC #
Brackets

I got mine in the mail today. I'll install them tomorrow and let you know. I've got a Clearview medium shield and I hope they solve the pressure on my back.

I should have a report by tomorrow evening.

David

Top Bottom