Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Route advice: Eureka Springs, AR --> Denver, CO

Bike
    2006 Ninja 650R
    2014 Miles:

My SPOT
    My Gallery

Route advice: Eureka Springs, AR --> Denver, CO

Riding out with a bunch of buddies to Eureka Springs for a gathering on another motorcycle forum. Looks like I'll be leading! Well, looks more like I'm not a great group traveler cause I hate relinquishing control, so I'm working out my route and others will be going with me. I know, I know, I can be but atleast I can admit and be honest about it.

There really doesn't seem to be much between here and there. Got the route to Eureka Springs planned. We'll be headed into Kansas then up north to the geographic center of the continental US near Lebanon, KS and seeing the largest ball of twine built by a community in Cawker City, KS. Will overnight in Glen Elder State Park campground, with hotels nearby for those that wish not to camp. Route looks like this, split into two days:

That should give people an idea of about how far these guys are happy traveling in a day to stay comfortable - about 400 miles or so.

Now I am at a stalemate for locating a route back. As you can see, I like tacky roadside attractions. is the ideal way to spend the night, with a motel or two nearby for the folks coming that don't camp. Any help here guys?

Yes. I'm bored. I haven't been on the bike in a while. So, I'm down to route planning for a trip in August....

› See More: Route advice: Eureka Springs, AR --> Denver, CO
    2006 Ninja 650R "DLW" - his
    2000 ZR7 "Blue" - hers
    1994 ST11 "Kita" - RIP, 1988 C10 "Jesse" - RIP, 2001 Shadow Sabre - Sold, 1995 Vulcan 750 - Sold
    http://smashrides.blogspot.com/

Smaller, lighter package
    (Threadstarter)
    Bike
    2006 Ninja 650R
    2014 Miles:

My SPOT
    My Gallery

Re: Route advice: Eureka Springs, AK --> Denver, CO

Oh. And we have 2 days (weekend) to make it back to Denver. Any suggestions would be great!

Twisties are your friend NoBull's Avatar
    Bike
    CRF450X
    My SPOT
    My Gallery

Re: Route advice: Eureka Springs, AR --> Denver, CO

Smash, we went to Arkansas last memorial weekend. We went there by way of 70 Friday afterwork just to pound the miles, Sat we made our way south thru Branson. The route you have shown thru Kansas will take a long time. We went a similiar route to yours to Wichita last year, the back roads took forever and not really scenic. A lot of small towns where the speed drops to 35 and red lights. I suggest you get your self to Ark as quick as possible, stay as long as you can and get home. The route there and back arent near as cool as the roads there. I have a bunch of cool roads I got from Bug Dr and other folks on here I can send you if you would like. Its an awesome place. Have fun.
    A good travelor is not intent on arriving.

The farmer lets you cross the field for free, but the Bull charges.

Smaller, lighter package
    (Threadstarter)
    Bike
    2006 Ninja 650R
    2014 Miles:

My SPOT
    My Gallery

Well, they aren't comfortable doing the 800 miles or so it would take from here to there in a straight shot, so I'm trying to find anything interesting between here and there to break up the monotonous two day trip.

Psyched about riding near Eureka Springs, we have some locals showing us around.

Bike
    ST-1200
    Tip Overs:
    2014 Miles:

My Gallery

Northeast OK has some nice lakes... Grand Lake o the Cherokees is a cool area to ride through.

Smaller, lighter package
    (Threadstarter)
    Bike
    2006 Ninja 650R
    2014 Miles:

My SPOT
    My Gallery

Oh sweet thanks. Found the Pensacola Dam. We can check that out on the first day of the return trip.

My Gallery

Take a look at riding south on the trip west. I kinda like SR 96 across the Front Range into Ks. and since ya like quirkly roadside stuff, you can camp at Meade (south Ks) State Park, near the Dalton Bros hideout. The park is a quiet out of the way place, but well maintained.

Most state and US highways in Ks are the same, I like to connect several local and state routes when riding across Ks, slower then I-70 for sure, but much more interesting.

At the geo center a some guy named John likes to hang around there, telling guys a new nation is gonna be born out of Lebannon. That joker told me people are gonna be moving there by the thousands, that was 7 years ago, but nothing changed yet. Tell him BamaRider said hello. Sign the book in the little chapel there.

Eureka to Meade Kansas, is a 425 mile day. I've done it a 2 or 3 times, because I prefer the more northern route riding west, then riding across Texas.

The ball of twine is pretty neat too, so after ya see it you'll prolly wanna camp cause a joker can only take so much excitement in 1 day.
    Guy
    www.bamarider.com

x4

2004 ST 1300 ABS Blue-the really fast ones
    2005 BMW R1200 RT Red
    2001 ST 1100 Sold after 97,000 miles

Bike
    2012 Honda CBR
    Tip Overs:
    My Gallery

I'd suggest US 50 to US 287 to US 160. Stop in Medicine Lodge - about 480 miles. Continue on to Independence, etc. then drop South at some point.

US 160 is a very nice road - great scenery, far better than slogging across I-70.

Smaller, lighter package
    (Threadstarter)
    Bike
    2006 Ninja 650R
    2014 Miles:

My SPOT
    My Gallery

Thanks guys! Chewing on the map at we speak.

bamarider - Plan is to camp at glen elder state park on the way out, just a hop from the ball of twine.

My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Smash View Post
    Thanks guys! Chewing on the map at we speak.

bamarider - Plan is to camp at glen elder state park on the way out, just a hop from the ball of twine.
    Gimme a report on Elder when y'all get back, I'm looking at camping there on my way back east this summer. I'll prolly skip the ball of twine this time, but I noway I skip the geo marker and john. He told me thousands of pilgrims will soon be coming to Lebanon, gonna kinda be like a woodstock thing. LOL

Riding out with a bunch of buddies to Eureka Springs for a gathering on another motorcycle forum. Looks like I'll be leading! Well, looks more like I'm not a great group traveler cause I hate relinquishing control, so I'm working out my route and others will be going with me. I know, I know, I can be but atleast I can admit and be honest about it.
    If this is you, I'd be real careful about this ride, cos you might find yourself frurstrated. On a cross country ride, I like havin full control, and not have to worry about the group as whole, or anyone to slow me down or make me speed up, so I know where you're coming from.

+ New Posts
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast