Helmets Pinlock Review

The Pinlock fog-resistant face sheld insert system came to the USA in the fall of 2009. Prior to the US introduction Pinlock was only available in Europe. I am glad they started selling in the US and only wish they had done it sooner.

I am a motorcycle commuter and wear a full face helmet. I ride when it is wet and cold so face shield fog can be a problem for me. When the shield fogs up I have to open it up a little and that helps sometimes. The shield can snap shut at inopportune times and then immediately start to fog. Depending on when that happens it can be a little dangerous. Negotiating traffic while braking and flipping your face shield up to clear fog is not something I recommend. The other problem with riding with an open face shield is cold weather. When the temperature drops down around freezing riding with a 60 mph breeze on your face can get uncomfortable.

The Pinlock system is an insert you put on the inside of your face shield. It is a thin plastic insert that has a clear silicone gasket around the edge. You snap it in to the pins on the face should and press down the edges so the gasket forms an airtight seal. The result is a two layer portal that is resistant to fog. The air trapped between the two layers acts as an insulator. The plastic membrane absorbs water and prevents most fog buildup. This is the same technology used in two layer ski goggles and snow mobile helmets. It works very well.

I have an older HJC CL-14 helmet. To fit a Pinlock in the US you have to buy a face shield with the pins already installed. I was able to purchase a new face shield and an inset for about $30 each. So my total cost was about $60. I purchased the insert about two months ago. During that time I have ridden in cold weather and in rain. Before I bought the insert I was frequently bothered by fog. Now the worst I get is a little fog under my nose. I have ridden in temperatures down to 22 degrees without fog. I have ridden in foggy days where the visibility was down to less than 200 feet with no problems. I wear glasses and they can fog over but if I lift the shield 2 or 3 times then they are usually good the rest of the trip. The Pinlock really does work. My next helmet will have a Pinlock insert.

The new HJC CL-16 full face helmet comes with a Pinlock insert. www.pinlockusa.net

Norm

Vendor
Bike
KLR650
STOC #
You might wish to try the HJC snowmobile face shield as it works even better in wet and such. Add a breath box and the improvement is huge!

Don't waste money on the heated face shield as it doesn't work any better than the non-heated but costs $60 more. I have one but don't bother connecting the wiring.

Yes, it is drawing the specified 1.7 amps, etc.

HIH

Norm

Marshal_Mercer

Bumbleberry + Crumble = Yum!
Bike
Has new home
STOC #
Love my Pinlock shield! Although I'm fairly sure it's been available in the U.S. for a few years now. I've had it on my Shoei RF1000 for a while. NewEnough.com sells them at a good price.
According to NewEnough, the Arai version should be in, in April. Go here to be added to the email notification list.

Be aware that one shield and one insert must be purchased seperately. The cost of the Arai shield with PinLock posts should be between $50-$80, depending upon your helmet model. The PinLock insert that attaches to the posts is $30.

Marshal

juddspaintballs

Dual Sport Touring
Bike
KTM 1090 Adventure R
STOC #
If I had to do it over again, I'd simply just buy the replacement pins and the insert and drill my own shield. It's not rocket science to put the pins in an existing shield. That would save you the money of buying the special shield that has pins installed.

OP
OP
I originally bought the insert without the pins. My hope was it would come with two lins and I could add the pins myself. The insert came with only one pin. My delaer asked the Pinlock rep for a single pin but was told they were not available. I finally just bought the shield it the pins in it. Do you know where you can get the pins?

As I understand the European market sold kits with two pins and a drill bit and a template for driling the holes for the pins.

I have not seen snowmobile helmets in Dallas. :) Maybe in Colorado?

John Anthony

Bike
'03 ST1300A
STOC #
According to NewEnough, the Arai version should be in, in April. Go here to be added to the email notification list.

Be aware that one shield and one insert must be purchased seperately. The cost of the Arai shield with PinLock posts should be between $50-$80, depending upon your helmet model. The PinLock insert that attaches to the posts is $30.

Marshal
I got a pinlock setup for my Arai at the motorcycle show in Seattle last December. I like it a lot. Had a chance to test it out yesterday in some cool, rainy weather and it did just great!

John

Marshal_Mercer

Bumbleberry + Crumble = Yum!
Bike
Has new home
STOC #
I got a pinlock setup for my Arai at the motorcycle show in Seattle last December. I like it a lot. Had a chance to test it out yesterday in some cool, rainy weather and it did just great!

John
John:

Do you know where I can order an Arai shield and insert set? I've been told (bump) that none is available yet in this country. I'm about ready to pay the extra cost and order from England, just to reduce/eliminate fogging! I've used FogCity inserts, but they limit visibility too much by their design.

Marshal

EDIT: I went on the Web and found that MotoSport carries PinLock for various helmets, including Arai. They should have one left in stock. My shield, and one clear and one dark-tint insert, come in next Wednesday.

I have used a Pinlock system on my Shoei RF-1000 for almost 2 years now, for riding in the humid climate of South AL and North FL.

I have nothing but positive to say about it. It simply rocks.

I highly recommend this system to anyone else who wants a clear face shield in humid conditions, without having to partially open their face shield....:yes:

Bike
2006 ST1300A
I'm waking this thread to announce I tried to make my new Pinlock insert fog-up, and couldn't do it. It stayed clear this morning. I CAN SEE! This is one of those things that make you slap your head and ask, "Why didn't I try this earlier?"

I ordered the Pinlock-ready faceshield & insert from England because I couldn't locate them here in the USA to fit my Schuberth S1 helmet. Once I see (pun intended) how well it works in the rain, I'll probably order another insert to install in one of my spare faceshields.

Bike
2007 ST1300
STOC #
I have been using a Pinlock on my HJC FS-15 for year now and it works great. I have used it year round, but really should remove it in warm weather riding due west in the afternoon- tend to make the view a bit hazy.

Bike
2006 ST1300A
... but really should remove it in warm weather riding due west in the afternoon- tend to make the view a bit hazy.
I'm thinking the Pinlock would be great when it rains, so my current plan is to leave it in during the summer ... or at least when I'm away on a multi-day ride.

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
I have a pinlock system on a RF1000 and really like it. Only issue I have is that the insert is VERY soft and scratches easily.
Rod

rogo

Site Supporter
Bike
'05 ST1300
2024 Miles
My Arai came with the pinlock . The package states "US: Daytime use only" . Half my commute is at pre-dawn hours . Anyone have any issues with leaving these in at night , besides the beaucrats in the US ?

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
I've had PinLock in my Nolan N102, and now in the Shoei Multitec and Neotec, and would say that its one of the best inventions ever.

One only has to see that it stays attached firmly and not getting loose (adjust the plastic rivets), as it gets useless if not sealed hermetically.
The Shoei visor is superior in this regard, the Nolan plexi had less integrity and started to 'strech', which not only made the PinLock insert loose beyond adjustment, the visor also wouldn't seal properly on the top, making annual replacement needed.
The visor of my Shoei Multitec instead is still firm after 5 years, amazing quality.

For cleaning I made the best experience (with all visors) by taking them apart, rinse each under flowing water while rubbing with liquid soap with bare fingers, carefully rinse again, then shake the drops off an let the parts sit to dry (do not whipe!); I would not advise dishsoap as the alcohol contend might soften the PinLock material even further. YMMV
Upon assembly one has to watch to not touch the delicate areas, as it could leave fingerprints.

During dawn and night hours the lights around could cause some double refections, but IMHO barely noticable and much better then seeing nearly nothing due a fogged visor.

rogo

Site Supporter
Bike
'05 ST1300
2024 Miles
Yes, it is clear . I just installed it , with little difficulty . Thanks.

treemuncher

Vegetation Terrorist
Bike
'07 ST1300A
STOC #
The Pinlock is the best thing that I have added to my helmets. It is worth the price. I prefer to use a yellow tinted Pinlock that tends to brighten the contrast on cloudy days and night riding.

There is some minor re-reflection that happens at night but I got used to it quickly. There is no problem with the amount of light transmission with the clear or bright yellow from my experiences.

The only time that I have been able to make this system fog up is when the seal became unstable after cleaning. Once sealed properly, this system will not fog even in the heaviest of rains or cold weather riding. Works great and about the same price as a Shoei mirrored shield. Not exactly cheap but it is worth the investment.

The pinlock on the new Neotec is ideal, although I would like to find a bright yellow to fit the insert. The clear Pinlock combined with the tinted internal shield works great. No messing with sunglasses. I've also installed reader lens inserts between the main shield and the Pinlock insert with good success. No fogging and I can read the fine print on the GPS when my eyes get tired.

Bottom line: If installed correctly, the Pinlock is a worthwhile investment that works great.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
...moisture can force its way under the seal.
Only had that trick with the Nolan in Welsh downpours (as usual...), top sided water breach where the visor meets the shell, from where it actually managed to fill the space behind the PinLock... felt like Fisheye in Hot Shots as the waterline rose... :lol:

Got a pin lock shield installed on my shoei quest helmet last night. Rode the rest of the way home in the rain without fogging and finally no more rain leaking in my helmet when opening to Defogg Wish I hadnt waited so long. Riding home in the storm last Thursday was interesting as my glasses wouldn't keep from fogging and it was raining so much that the water was soaking me with the shield cracked. There is a bit of a glare at night from other lights but if you tilt your head down slightly it goes away for me at least. Hope they get the transition lens finished soon

Top Bottom