Grasshopper Limited Driver's Backrest

Mondo

Site Supporter
Bike
‘22 Moto Guzzi V85TT
I recently ordered a driver's backrest from Grasshopper Limited, a company that makes them for many cruisers and is delving into the ST1300 market. I first emailed them since their information states that it will fit the stock seat pan but not others and my seat has been modified by Russell Daylong. They replied that it should fit so I ordered one for $95 including shipping. Installation is quite simple. Remove the two bolts holding the rear bracket on the bottom of the front seat, put their bracket under it, and rebolt. However, the seat stem would not slide far enough down into the bracket to be secured because the back edge of the Russell seat is built up too high. I emailed Grasshopper and they asked me what it needs to work. I replied that it needs a longer stem and also the stem angled back about 2 inches because it pushed me too far forward and into the gas tank. Yesterday, they responded that they are working on it and will send me a new, modified backrest and a prepaid shipping label to return the first one. To be continued..........

Greg Kane

OP
OP
Mondo

Mondo

Site Supporter
Bike
‘22 Moto Guzzi V85TT
Sorry - the one that does not fit is packed for return. However, when the new one arrives I will document in pics the install and my impressions. It may arrive Friday, but more likely on Monday.

Greg Kane

Compared to others that I have seen for the ST13, I wonder how much support you get on your back for that price once it's installed. Cant wait to hear.

OP
OP
Mondo

Mondo

Site Supporter
Bike
‘22 Moto Guzzi V85TT
Seat 1.jpg

Seat 2.jpg

Seat 3.jpg

Seat 4.jpg

The revised backrest arrived and is installed. Pic #1 shows the bracket installed under the rear of the front seat. Installation is a 5 minute job at most. The backrest stem is inserted in the bracket and a small set screw is tightened to secure the backrest stem to the bracket. Removal will necessitate merely removing the set screw and pulling out the backrest. I will use it for trips but not around town.

Pic #2 shows the first backrest I received. It is lower and farther forward than the revised one. I have a 33 inch inseam and sit back on the seat, so it pushed me too far forward on the Russell. This on the OEM seat may be OK with a shorter inseam. The beauty is that Grasshopper (Lonnie) was outstanding and offered to tweak it to my preference, much like Russell.

Pic #3 shows the revised backrest. Higher so it catches me up a bit where I need support and back farther so I have ample room on the seat. I am a squirmer on long rides so need to be able to move around on the seat.

Pic #4 shows the revised backrest on my ST1300. I will not be able to give a ride report as we are receiving a 10-12 inch snowfall as I type. Oh well, out to the garage to sit on it and make vroom vroom noises.

Overall, the backrest has ample padding and the stem and bracket are sturdy. I am a little concerned about the stapling of the cover,but am not overly worried about keeping up with that. The cover material is also sturdy. Best of all is the service! For $95 delivered, I am completely satisfied.

Greg Kane

Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
Greg
How sturdy is the backrest since its only attached at the one location on the plastic pan? How much does it flex if you lean back on the rest? Is it adjustable front to back or the angle of the back pad? Thanks for the review it looks like this could be my next addition.

Jeff

OP
OP
Mondo

Mondo

Site Supporter
Bike
‘22 Moto Guzzi V85TT
Jeff - It is quite sturdy but I cannot tell how much it might flex on the road until I can get out on it. The backrest is fixed and not adjustable. Hope this helps. The way it is snowing, I may not get out for Moonshine!

Greg Kane

OP
OP
Mondo

Mondo

Site Supporter
Bike
‘22 Moto Guzzi V85TT
I used the backrest on a 330 mile round trip to the Wisconsin Dells last weekend. It provides plenty of support, is sturdy yet does flex back a bit to allow for some squirming in the seat. Mine is about 2 inches up from the back of the Russell which hits me in a perfect spot on my back. For the price, I continue to be pleased.

Greg Kane

I have also joined the Grasshopper Unlimited Backrest Club....and it is good!!

I ordered the backrest about a week before a trip to the Big Bend Texas area (4 days, about 1600 miles). Prior to ordering the backrest I sent an email to the company to make sure that if I ordered one on a Monday it would get to me by Friday (was leaving on Sunday). Monday morning at 0830 I recieved an email saying that they could make that happen so I ordered mine at about 0900....by 1100 that day I had a tracking number!!! Outstanding customer service!!!

The backrest was very easy to install as has been noted in previous posts.

This was my third trip to the Big Bend area in three years and I was prepared to have some lower back pain as in previous years (small price to pay for the roads and scenery) but with the backrest installed there was no back pain whatsoever.

The backrest did push me forward a bit but it only took me about 10 minutes to get used to the new position and it was nice (I am 5 foot 7 with a 30 inch inseam) and comfortable.

There is enough flex in the bracket that while on MCL's highway pegs I was able to push back a bit on the backrest to stretch.

All in all a great product that doesn't require near the modifications to the saddle that other backrrests for the ST need to be fitted.

Now I may to order a passenger backrest just to complete the look.:D

I have the stock saddle (Spencerized) on my ST.

Bought one of these at Americade ... installed on Sargent seat...fits perfect and works GREAT..
very nice product very nice price......its a keeper.

Rural RIder

Del

Glad to see all the positive press. Mine is in the garage waiting to be installed for my trip to QuebecStoc.
Michael

I have also ordered both the driver and passenger backrests. I will wait to see how long it takes for it to find it's way to Canada. Customs always seems to hold things up. I wonder how much they are going to charge me for duty. Grasshopper's customer service has been excellent as has been noted on many of the other postings.

Bike
2005 & 2006 St 1300
STOC #
This thread has prompted me to purchase the grasshopper backrest, easy install as others have said and great value for the dollar. Very comfy for those times when ya want to sit back.:06biker:

Bike
2005 ST 1300
I've had one for over a year and it' looking as good as new....I'm liking it!

Bike
2014 R1200RT W
STOC #
I have ordered one, it should arrive today via Fed X according to the tracking information. I hope to install it ASAP, hope it works for me.

Bike
2007 st 1300
I bought the driver and passenger backrests. So far I'm really enjoying them. The BOTB, boss on the back, feels much more comfortable now as well. I had a little trouble making the purchase online so I called the phone number in the contact info area and ordered them instantly. They arrived in 3 days. I forgot to mention that my driver seat had been modified, so needless to say that one didn't fit. However I made two bends in a 3"X4" alumium plate, turned the original bracket around backwards and presto. I am very pleased with the comfort and the looks.:07biker:

Attachments

RONST1300

STOC # 8616
Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
Well I ordered it today. I called about delivery date, and the lady on the phone gave it to me for the Ebay price of $99 shipping included. I can't wait to put it on. So far, they have been great to deal with.
Ron

Top Bottom