Dunlop Roadsmarts alert

Two Brothers

Walking, Talking, and Smiling!
Hey guys I know there have been some issues with these tires. By any chance does anyone have the tires that went bad. I'm looking for tires that have had bumps, cracks or separations. If you have them I will get them to the Dunlop rep.

They are very interested in this problem.

Thanks Tim

Tankereng

Site Supporter
Bike
2018 Goldwing
STOC #
I have a rear in the garage that has two `1/2 inch cracks/splits in the tread which I always assumed was not a defect but more somethin in the road...Took the tire off as the center was worn flat from lots o miles on the slab...planned on saving it for emergency use down the road...

Is that the type of "Crack" you are referring to? Does Dunlop want to give me a new tire? :D

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
I already sent mine back to Dunlop via a local shop here in Goleta. It's about time they start taking some interest in this issue. I wouldn't put another one on my bike if they gave it to me.

OP
OP
Two Brothers

Two Brothers

I have a rear in the garage that has two `1/2 inch cracks/splits in the tread which I always assumed was not a defect but more somethin in the road...Took the tire off as the center was worn flat from lots o miles on the slab...planned on saving it for emergency use down the road...

Is that the type of "Crack" you are referring to? Does Dunlop want to give me a new tire? :D
They might I'll see him next week. Whats the story? Air pressure, loaded, mileage.

Tankereng

Site Supporter
Bike
2018 Goldwing
STOC #
They might I'll see him next week. Whats the story? Air pressure, loaded, mileage.
Mostly 1-Up.... No cargo other than a spare helmet...pressure maintained at 42. Mileage about 5-6k. Like I mentioned, it's had a good life as evidenced by the flat spot in the center...which is just about to the wear bars at some points...

Pictures coming....

STDaveNW

Dave
Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
I have a set of roadsmarts that I mounted last summer with about 8k on them and they both look new.
Others have told me they go from new looking to old looking overnight.

OP
OP
Two Brothers

Two Brothers

Mostly 1-Up.... No cargo other than a spare helmet...pressure maintained at 42. Mileage about 5-6k. Like I mentioned, it's had a good life as evidenced by the flat spot in the center...which is just about to the wear bars at some points...

Pictures coming....

I think this is more like road damage. I see this alot from objects in the road.

I need the tire that come apart on the front. I'll do a search and see if i can find the pic.

Phartz

Pat Thompson
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
Here's pics of my Roadsmarts that went 13.7k miles. Yeah, the rear is worn out, but that last tread across the middle disappeared on the last couple days of a 6000 mile trip. I knew it would get me home. :D

They wore perfectly and handled really well right up to the end. :shrug2:

:06biker: :06biker: :06biker:

Attachments

OP
OP
Two Brothers

Two Brothers

So Tim, have you heard of any issues with the Michelin PR2's?

:bigpop:
Nothing like this.

They had some issues about 3 years ago with the Pilot Power 2CT on the front. Never saw a picture or a tire that was separated but they did a recall and replaced everything that we had in stock and what was on motorcycles.

They set up a 1-800 line for customers to call and they referred them to us.

Very professional and prompt.

TMUS

MSF Instructor 32 years
Bike
2006 ST1300a(Marvin)
STOC #
Nothing like this.

They had some issues about 3 years ago with the Pilot Power 2CT on the front. Never saw a picture or a tire that was separated but they did a recall and replaced everything that we had in stock and what was on motorcycles.

They set up a 1-800 line for customers to call and they referred them to us.

Very professional and prompt.
Good to know, thanks

How many miles and yes I'm interested. Hold that one and I'll call Metzeler.

Thanks
Came off my BIL's BMW, I believe it was slightly over 10K. We took the tire to the dealer where he had bought it and asked if they would speak with their rep. about it, and they would not even entertain the idea. But they were quick to take his money for a new one though. Additionally, he had a front tire last year that formed a golf ball size bubble under the tread. He wrote that off as being just a one off type thing, than this happened. Thanks for taking the time to look into this for us. You guys rock!!:headbang:

PM me if you need any additional information. Thanks!

Bike
'05 ST1300
Hey guys, I'm new here so what's with the Road Smart tires? Was there an official recall or what? This is the first I've heard of this. Got a fairly new one on front of my "05 with about 1200 miles. Should I be concerned? Thanks for info and replies in advance.
valktoo
Leon

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Hey guys, I'm new here so what's with the Road Smart tires? Was there an official recall or what? This is the first I've heard of this. Got a fairly new one on front of my "05 with about 1200 miles. Should I be concerned? Thanks for info and replies in advance.
valktoo
Leon
Some here have had issues, including myself... Mine was not as bad as others but I will no longer put a dunlop tire on my bike.

Do a search here for roadsmart and see for yourself. There are some running them with no issues.

There is no official recall.

Bike
'05 ST1300
Thanks a lot for feedback Joe. I'll do some research and be sure to keep an eye on mine closely. Ride safe and keep the shiny side up and the rubber side down.
Leon

Top Bottom