Article [13] ST1300 - Air Filter Replacement

PopJack

Die young, after a long life.
Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
Changing the Air Filter on my ST1300

I noticed a thread about changing the air filter on a ST1300 and mine needed changing, so I documented what I did. Hope it helps.

Note: Bolt sizes mentioned refer to the NEEDED WRENCH- not the shaft size of the bolt.

Step 1: Get Ready
The filter is not hard to change, but not as easy as on a cage. I try and run the fuel tank down some- it doesn't have to be empty, but I've never tried it with more than ? tank.

To do the job, I used:

10mm socket with 3" extension
10mm combination wrench
8 mm socket on 10" extension
Phillips head screwdriver
New filter.

You may note that this time I used a K&N brand filter. Last time I used an OEM filter. I keep hearing that the K&N will give me more power, better gas mileage and help fill in my bald spot- we'll see. I'm going to be curious before becoming critical.

Step 2: Remove the Seat

Step 3: Put the forward seat adjuster in the maintenance position- all the way out of the way.

Step 4: Loosen the tank bolt on the back side of the tank (10mm.) I use a socket on one side and a combination wrench on the other. Do not remove this bolt, but get it very loose.

Step 5: Remove the two bolts at the front of the tank (8mm).

Note the bushings (actually called a "setting collar"). These are easy to drop, so I take mine out and put them somewhere. (Actually I do now…. )

Step 6: Lift the front of the tank and with a rocking motion, slide the tank backwards. Lift the front of the tank as far as the strap will allow it to go. If it hits the handlebars or controls, you need to slide the tank farther back. NOTE: I have risers on my bike. The first time I did this I was afraid the risers would keep the tank from coming up. The tank WILL clear the bars even with the risers if you slide it all the way back. (At least on mine).

There is a special rod under the seat designed to prop the tank up and it works well.

For some reason, however, I got in the habit of running a bungee cord from the front of the tank to one of the hand grips in the back. This holds the tank up and the static/ retention strap keeps the tank from lifting too far. I like the bungee cords because the rod gets in my way. You can see one end of the bungee cord in the photo above. It is plastic coated, so it won't hurt the paint.

Step 7: I removed the white sensor plug and get the wire out of the way. Some people do not. I leave the grounding strap/ tether in place- some people remove it. One well respected friend of mine removes the entire tank so that he can get to things easier- I don't.

Step 8: Remove the screws around the perimeter of the air box.
Note that I leave the front two in their holes- I get them loose in their holes, but I do not try and remove them.

When the rest of the screws are gone, I just lift the air box top clear and set it aside.

View of the air box with the top removed.

Step 9: Remove the old air filter- and clean up any debris you find. I have found a variety of interesting bugs- some of which escaped the air cleaner and were in the box.

Step 10:
I run a thin film of lithium grease around the base of the new air filter before I install it. This is not in the shop manual, and I don't know how many people do it. I apply the grease thinking it will help the new filter seal better. I can't figure out why it would hurt and it seems to make sense.

Put it back together by carefully placing the lid back in place. I leave the two screws in the front in place. Be careful of the rest of them- they love to be dropped.

Plug the sensor back in, put the tank down and replace the collars and the bolts.

I sometimes have a time getting the front of the tank to line up with the threaded holes. I find a small allen wrench or similar tool can be used to help persuade cooperation.

Tighten the bolt in back, put the seat bracket back where you want it, replace the seats and GO RIDE!

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Tankereng

Site Supporter
Bike
2018 Goldwing
STOC #
Re: ST1300-Changing the Air Filter

I'm removing mine tonight to "Refresh" my K&N...39,000 miles since I put it in...hopefully it give me some MPG's back....:mw1:

Using the K&N Recharge kit from my local Auto Zone... Gonna be interesting since our intake side of the filter is on the inside...:doh1:

OP
OP
PopJack

PopJack

Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #

Don't you need to oil the K&N filter?
No. After using the filter for a long time, it is supposed to be cleaned and re-oiled. It comes oiled with the initial oil from the factory. The following is from the K&N Website's FAQ page and addresses the issue:

10. Do K&N air filters come pre-oiled or must they be oiled before using?

Almost all K&N air filters come pre-oiled and ready to use. The filter oil we use is red. A new oiled filter will appear red-pink in color. Some crankcase vent air filters come unoiled, however, they come with a small packet of K&N filter oil so they can be oiled before use. There are also a limited number of filters with specialty uses which are not pre-oiled. These items will be clearly marked as unoiled. Using an unoiled K&N filter will greatly reduce the filter's efficiency and void our product warranty on filters that come pre-oiled from the factory. If you receive a filter that is packaged in its cellophane wrapper and is unoiled, contact K&N's Customer Support department at (800) 858-3333.

Tankereng

Site Supporter
Bike
2018 Goldwing
STOC #

Don't you need to oil the K&N filter?
Yes, the recharge kit comes with a cleaning solution and oil... Costs ~$10

just pulled about a cup of dirt and debris out of my filter...yuck. I guess 40,000 on one filter can do that...

OP
OP
PopJack

PopJack

Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #

Yes, the recharge kit comes with a cleaning solution and oil... Costs ~$10

just pulled about a cup of dirt and debris out of my filter...yuck. I guess 40,000 on one filter can do that...
Just to be clear, the filter I was using was a NEW K&N filter. It is my understanding from the website that you do not need to oil the filter when it is new, but after it is cleaned with the kit, then you oil it.

Is that your take on it as well?

BTW: How hard was it to clean?

Tankereng

Site Supporter
Bike
2018 Goldwing
STOC #

Just to be clear, the filter I was using was a NEW K&N filter. It is my understanding from the website that you do not need to oil the filter when it is new, but after it is cleaned with the kit, then you oil it.

Is that your take on it as well?

BTW: How hard was it to clean?
yes, new K&N filters are pre-oiled. It was very easy to clean. Tap out excess dirt and bugs, then spray on cleaning solution and let sit for 10 minutes. Then rinse with cool water. Looks like new. Finally, apply oil to filter for even coating. Let air dry and re-install.... :headbang:

Bike
FJR1300

Questions. Where did you buy your K&N? local or online? if online, who did you use?

Since it's been a few months since the posting of the article, have any of you K&N users noticed a difference in how she breaths and or runs? Thanks

OP
OP
PopJack

PopJack

Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #

I ordered my K&N on line. From Amazon, I"m pretty sure. Most people seem to have positive experiences, but I didn't like the way the bike ran and have since gone back to an OEM filter. It seemed to me that the bike ran rougher and hotter with the K&N.

My bike has always run lean, which may be the issue.

Bike
ST 1300
STOC #

Many thanks for the fine tutorial on changing the ST air filter. I've printed it off for future reference. The photos are worth a million words. :03biker:

TMUS

MSF Instructor 32 years
Bike
2006 ST1300a(Marvin)
STOC #

Step #5
I put some black RTV silicone on the setting collars, makes it nice the next time(s), keeps then from falling out.

Bike
2006 ST1300

how much has the K&N helped? I have it on all my vehicles and recharge them about once a year and now thinking about putting one on my bike. Just one less thing to worry about

OP
OP
PopJack

PopJack

Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #

Hi Young. Just saw your message. The following is only my opinion- my personal experience. I know there are others who will have the opposite view.

I didn't like the K&N and ended up swapping it back out after a few months. It seemed to me that the bike didn't perform as smoothly as with the stock. It may have been my imagination, but I also thought it ran hotter. A friend of mine who had the same experience said that he changed some kind of fuel valve thing out and his ran great after that- but I never did.

I am now running a stock filter.

Bike
ST1300
For those of you asking about using K&N filters..... it's been my experience using paper filters works better. If you were one to keep a vehicle for many miles (hundreds of thousands of miles) then perhaps it may be cost effective to use a reusable filter, but then there are rumors of other issues using reusable filters.

Bike
2006 ST1300
I use paper filters because they filter better, and they are easier to deal with. You might gain a tiny bit of HP and mpg with a k&n, but to me, the loss of filtration isn't worth it.

I had one vehicle that came with a k&n...it always had some fine dirt in the intake tube. Once i changed back to a paper filter, it never happened again.

Jim

Sent from my PB99400 using Tapatalk

Silver Bullet

Retired
Bike
2020 Tracer 900 GT

Hi Young. Just saw your message. The following is only my opinion- my personal experience. I know there are others who will have the opposite view.

I didn't like the K&N and ended up swapping it back out after a few months. It seemed to me that the bike didn't perform as smoothly as with the stock. It may have been my imagination, but I also thought it ran hotter. A friend of mine who had the same experience said that he changed some kind of fuel valve thing out and his ran great after that- but I never did.

I am now running a stock filter.
Yeah Pop ,I have heard of some others having problems with lean running and if it,s leaner yet, hence your problem with more heat ! Seems to me all the Hondas i have owned over the years were very sensitive to intake changes , more so than an exhaust change ! This is not a knock on K&N which is a great product ! My 04 GTO Picks up a wopping 18 HP documeted on the dyno with the K&N intake kit ! Just not the ST ticket. IMHO stick with the OEM. filter !
MIKE

OP
OP
PopJack

PopJack

Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
I know a couple of friends that use the K&N with no issues. I guess it all depends.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
PopJack

PopJack

Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
Glad to hear from a K&N supporter! I know a lot of folks love them.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk

Hawk52

Site Supporter
Bike
07 ST1300
STOC #
great timing for this thread to pop up Ive got a new air filter sitting here waiting to be installed nice right up and photos

Top Bottom