How many have never adjusted the Valves

Bike
ST1100
Bought my 92 last Nov with 47K miles. Checked the valves and one was pretty far out and very noisy, two others were at the loose side of spec. I had them all adjusted when I had the fork seals replaced. So quiet and smooth now.

TPadden

Tom Padden
...The thing is that you can't decide not to check based on the fact that only a few ever have to adjust. You could end up one of the few that does and find out about it after an out-of-spec valve has started to cause damage.
Sure you can. An even better question would be how many ST owners have EVER had any damage caused by a valve being out of spec. My bet is even an out of spec valve at 0 miles would still be the same amount out of spec 100K miles later with no damage (other than valve damage caused by ethanol :D).

Either way put me in the don't check em camp. ;)

nm6r

Blue is faster!!!
The valve clearance specs on the ST1300 are ridiculously tight. Sure they tend to hold without changing much if at all. The fact of the matter is, the valves could easily be out of spec by the range of the spec with no ill effects.

Ray

Byron

STOC #
If your thought is no damage will be done even if the valves are out of spec then why do you bother to change your oil or check the air in your tires, change your spark plugs or air filter?

Just something for you to think about. :)

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
Because those other things have an immediate effect... tires and oil... you can tell when you change them that the bike handles or runs better.

I get 42mpg combined driving and 50 mpg if I keep a steady hand while doing long distance and have since I bought the bike ~90,000 miles ago.

You're supposed to change sparkplugs? Who knew!

OP
OP

randy the x man

R.I.P. - 2013/06/23
Rest In Peace
Sure you can. An even better question would be how many ST owners have EVER had any damage caused by a valve being out of spec. My bet is even an out of spec valve at 0 miles would still be the same amount out of spec 100K miles later with no damage (other than valve damage caused by ethanol :D).

Either way put me in the don't check em camp. ;)
I was wondering that myself. I don't recall seeing any posts on that. My st had 2.5k when I got it. It now is around 47k. I have never check either?

Thanks
Randy

TPadden

Tom Padden
The question is, would you bet your engine on it?

--Mark
Obviously several would; the preponderance of repliers it seems :). Frankly I'd bet the probability of doing engine damage with valve maintenance is greater than without :bow1:.

Replying from McD's on my way to Big Bend :D.

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
Show of hands: How many of you would routinely check and adjust your valves if it were tied to engine performance?

--Mark

Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
OK I admit I need to do this. It is on the list along with replacing my shot thermostat. Oh and I think I have a fork seal leaking again.

I really should wheel the bike over to the main part of my shop so I can work on it.
Posted via Mobile Device

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin
A bit of trivia from the old days running bikes at Bonneville. On a couple of production record attempts on Suzuki's and a Motoguzzi we used to loosen the exhaust valve clearance to retard the cam timing and it was worth an increase of a couple of MPH running flat out. It was noisy but went faster - especially on the Guzzi.

Dan

Bike
2006 ST1300A
STOC #
Maybe a better question is...

Who has experienced engine damage or failure because they did not do a regular valve check?

Mike

nm6r

Blue is faster!!!
The question is, would you bet your engine on it?

--Mark

Yup, but I wouldn't let it go further. I check my valve clearances at apx. 32k mile intervals. If a valve was out of spec, I would note by how much and take care of it next time.

If your thought is no damage will be done even if the valves are out of spec then why do you bother to change your oil or check the air in your tires, change your spark plugs or air filter?

Just something for you to think about. :)

My thought is, no harm would be done if the valve clearance is not too far out of spec. As an extreme example, this has already been evidenced by a member that had a valve so far out of spec that it was causing abnormalities in the engine's operation and yet no actual damage.

Changing the oil regularly will have a long term effect on engine life.

Maintaining proper air pressure in the tires is a safety issue as well as affecting the life of the tires.

Changing the spark plugs (at some point) will affect the engine performance.

A clean air filter immediately affects engine performance.

A valve slightly out of spec will cause no long term ill effects nor measureably change engine performance.

Ray

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
You could also ask, how many dealers actually check the valves (vs not checking them and saying that they did) when you take it in for a valve check?

RCS

If Honda thought checking and ensuring valve clearances were in spec every 16,000 miles wasn't important, why would they put it in the service manual in chapter 3 on regular maintenance along with oil changes?

I must admit, when I purchased the Service Manual I was amazed to find shim changes in chapter 3. That was a little intimidating to me but I learned how to do it and did it. No problem and not hard, it was a process that took time.

Tor

Making Life A Ride
Site Supporter
Bike
R1200 GSA / S1000XR
Last time was at 50k or so. 3 ex. valves out of spec (tight). Went ahead and brought all ex. valves to the loose side of spec. All intakes were in spec.

Bike
2007 ST1300
If Honda thought checking and ensuring valve clearances were in spec every 16,000 miles wasn't important, why would they put it in the service manual in chapter 3 on regular maintenance along with oil changes?
To help generate revenue for the dealers. You should have watched that dealer vid before it was restricted.

Top Bottom