How many have never adjusted the Valves

Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
Dumb question but what would be damaged if they were out of spec? Is it hard on the valves, cams or something else? I don't know that it would ever be enough for it to hit the pistons but maybe that?

Just wondering.

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
Has anyone ever had or heard of anyone that had engine damage form NOT doing this procedure? I would bet not.
You can completely skip checking your valves as long as they're still in spec or not far out enough to do damage.

ETA: Here's one: CLICKY

--Mark

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
Dumb question but what would be damaged if they were out of spec?
Here's one thing off the top of my head:

If there's too little clearance between the cam and the bucket, the valve may stay open longer than it should or be prevented from seating firmly against the cylinder head. That can have some effect on engine performance, but let's set that aside for a minute.

One of the jobs of the cylinder head is to soak up heat from the combustion process and dispose of it through the cooling system. The valves, being front and center in the combustion chamber, also accumulate heat and depend on contact with the head while closed as a way to dissipate it. If that contact isn't solid, long enough or not there at all, the valve's ability to get rid of unwanted heat is reduced or eliminated.

Exhaust gas temperatures can easily climb into the range of 1,200-1,300?F which is the same neighborhood as those used in tempering the steel from which the valves are made. Tempering is a carefully-controlled process, and if the material is heated for too long, it can lose its temper and become brittle. If the valves are subject to more heat than they can dissipate, they're going to accumulate heat and may lose the tempering they got when they were manufactured. Under the beating they get in the engine, that loss of strength could result in failure.

(Not a dumb question, by the way...)

--Mark

Bike
GL1800
STOC #
And if a valve were to break like that it would likely get dumped into the cylinder and that would cause all kinds of bad things to happen.
Just ask Jeff Bertrand about burning a valve.

My own experience - on my ST1100 I checked the valve clearances every winter during downtime. Only at 70k miles did one valve go slightly out of spec.

32k on my ST1300 - checked last weekend and all dead on balls perfect.

Then again, YMMV.

rbs

Bike
08 ST
STOC #
On the 05 I first did a valve check at 23k (if i remember correctly) and adjusted to valves on the left bank. They were close enough that I could have let the go but since I had it opened!

tdeboeser

that's not me!
STOC #
Checked at 16k, 32k, and 48k. Didn't need adjustment 70k now, think I'll check at 100k just for peace of mind.
wow. About the same intervals for me. No adjustments, although I mess up a check and almost adjusted them - thank goodness I double checked.

Tom de

CWDUSMC

Site Supporter
Bike
01 ST-1100
STOC #
Just checked mine for the second time, 60K miles. All are still within spec. As far as what happens if they get too far out of spec, read one of my earlier posts and check the picture! Although not an ST, somebody asked if anybody has ever had valve damage, so the answer is yes.

Did my 01 ST1100 myself, wasn't too hard to check clearances and mine were in tolerance. When I bought the bike (used) I asked the local dealer and was told it wasn't necessary to check. However, I had just finished a valve job on a Suzuki GS-450 twin cylinder due to a burned/split exhaust valve due to tight clearances (only had 75,000 miles). It cost me almost $500 by the time it was done and I did everything except the actual valve job. That was a twin cylinder and relatively easy to take apart, an ST would cost a lot more!
Checking the clearances and writing them down for reference is cheap insurance, in my book. I don't know if I would have tried to re-shim them myself if mine had been out of adjustment or taken it to the dealer to hve it done, but if you don't check them, what you don't know CAN hurt you!

Attachments

TPadden

Tom Padden
Although not an ST, somebody asked if anybody has ever had valve damage, so the answer is yes."I had just finished a valve job on a Suzuki GS-450 twin cylinder due to a burned/split exhaust valve due to tight clearances (only had 75,000 miles)."
OK - If I had a Suzuki GS 450 twin with 75K (80's era 30 YEAR OLD design) on it I'd think about checking them :D!

Actually I'd be pretty religious about checking any OLD bike or CAR. Some modern cars aren't even checked until 100K.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
OK - If I had a Suzuki GS 450 twin with 75K (80's era 30 YEAR OLD design) on it I'd think about checking them :D!

Actually I'd be pretty religious about checking any OLD bike or CAR. Some modern cars aren't even checked until 100K.
I have a 2000 CR-V that I had the valve cover off last Saturday to replace the timing belt. At 190,000 miles the camshafts looked like new. I swear - no visible wear, no scuffing, no discoloration. They don't call it the Honda Motor Company for nothing. However, it doesn't have shim-under-bucket valve actuation and it doesn't rev to 8 or 9,000 rpm either. Car engines generally lead a less busy and frantic life compared to motorcycle engines. Still, the CR-V has no suggested valve check schedule at all. The manual says check the valves only if "noisy". Many cars have hydraulic valve lifters and have no adjustment at all. The Honda 750 Shadows have hydraulic lifters. I had one and never had to adjust the valves. :D But it was slow as a stone and about as reliable.

I know that many modern bikes and cars thrive on the neglect and abuse of their owners but I wouldn't want to buy those machines when they get rid of them. ;) The woman I bought the CR-V from had a cardboard box full of receipts for regular service from day one. If she didn't would it still run so well, never burn oil, and be dependable to drive at nearly 200,000 miles? Maybe, but I wouldn't count on it.

Bike
93 ST1100 ABS
A valve is a device that regulates the flow of a fluid (gases, liquids, fluidized solids, or slurries) by opening, closing, or partially obstructing various passageways.
It was supposed to be a joke. I was trying to say 'I've never even thought about adjusting my valves' and be funny at the same time. I guess my sense of humor is a little dry.

Bike
SSM '91 ST1100
STOC #
Boy I know mine needs it badly (91 ST1100) every time I start-off quickly I hear 'em.

I have 104000 miles on it. I believe they were done at some point by the previous owner, but not sure when. When I get employed again, I'll get the bike to the shop, right now, I'll be lucky if I can get some time from the experts here to help me through such an endeavor. :bow1:

Good Luck!

Top Bottom