ST1100 Pan ABS problem

Bike
'99 ST1100
Just wondering if anyone on here could help me out with a problem i'm having with the ABS system on the ST1100 pan euopean? It's a '99 model that has CBS/TCS/ABS. I've got the ABS warning lights on & they won't reset. To start, i haven't done too much work on bikes/cars but have done a little so if you could help me out, the more "lay man's" the explanation the better.

I've done a bit of checking up on the ABS system online & found how to do get the ABS fault code, which was 3 blinks. This equates to "Faulty front modulator control motor system" which doesn't mean too much to me . I done some reading up on ABS systems in general & am still confused as to whether this is electronics or a pump? Can anyone help me out? I've checked ebay & there are a few bits & pieces available but don't want to waste money on the wrong part. Cheers

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
STCOL - First thing to check is to make sure both of your battery terminals are clean and tight. If they are loose, the voltage spikes/variances can make the ABS do funny things. And ST1100s are notorious for the ground cable working loose over time.

Bike
'16 Versys 650LT
STOC #
STCOL - First thing to check is to make sure both of your battery terminals are clean and tight. If they are loose, the voltage spikes/variances can make the ABS do funny things. And ST1100s are notorious for the ground cable working loose over time.

+1

The ABS systems is very sensitive to voltage variations. The one time I had a problem with the ST1100's ABS system was when an after market relay I was using began to go bad. It took me forever to find out what was causing it but the minute I got rid of the bad relay and replaced it with a new one the ABS problem went away and did not return.

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
In addition pull the electrical connector from the front modulator and inspect/clean it. I had a similar error on the rear modulator and that seemed to clear it even though everything looked OK to me. When you said the code won't reset, how are you trying to reset it? Are you using the procedure from the manual to press the ABS button momentarily while the computer is blinking out the code? Sometimes that's all that's needed if it was a transitory error.

OP
OP
STCol
Bike
'99 ST1100
In addition pull the electrical connector from the front modulator and inspect/clean it. I had a similar error on the rear modulator and that seemed to clear it even though everything looked OK to me. When you said the code won't reset, how are you trying to reset it? Are you using the procedure from the manual to press the ABS button momentarily while the computer is blinking out the code? Sometimes that's all that's needed if it was a transitory error.
To try to reset it i'm doing exactly as you are saying, pressing the ABS button momentarily while the computer is blinking the code. Doesn't seem to be doing anything. It just continues blinking away. This might sound like a silly question but what/where is the front modulator :confused:? Today's my last day in work so planning on having a look at it over the next few days

Bike
They all share
My Clymer #M508 book tells all. Don’t get a Haynes book cause it just says to take bike to dealer if you have ABS problems. The front pump/modulator is on the upper right side just behind the headlight. Pretty well all of the plastic from the fuel tank cover forward has to come off to access the pump, relays, & ECU for the ABS. The 2 lower fairing pieces (with the tip over guards) do not have to come off. The instrument cluster stays on. The ABS ECU along with the 3 front ABS relays are on the upper left front opposite the front pump. Lots of luck. I need that luck too as mine is faulty also. Later, De :)

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
To try to reset it i'm doing exactly as you are saying, pressing the ABS button momentarily while the computer is blinking the code. Doesn't seem to be doing anything. It just continues blinking away. This might sound like a silly question but what/where is the front modulator :confused:? Today's my last day in work so planning on having a look at it over the next few days
Sounds like something has flat failed entirely or has become disconnected. Usually the code clearing will work, if even for a few minutes only until the next key on-off cycle.

OP
OP
STCol
Bike
'99 ST1100
I've been reading up on a few threads about ABS probs on both this & other foums. When the ignition is turned on should i be able to here the ABS pumps buzzing/clicking? I haven't ever noticed it & with it being the first bike i've owned with ABS (although it's questionable if it has it at the moment :)) i would think i'd notice a different sound like that.

By the way, thanks for all the tips & advice so far :yes:

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
I've been reading up on a few threads about ABS probs on both this & other foums. When the ignition is turned on should i be able to here the ABS pumps buzzing/clicking? I haven't ever noticed it & with it being the first bike i've owned with ABS (although it's questionable if it has it at the moment :)) i would think i'd notice a different sound like that.

By the way, thanks for all the tips & advice so far :yes:
I don't think (I may be wrong) the ABS cycles until the bike reaches 6 mph. That's when it performs a self check. The ABS light will always illuminate, but not blink, when you first switch on the key until you achieve 6 mph when the system completes its self check at which point the light goes out if everything is normal.

The fuel pump will run for a few seconds upon ignition switch on though.

OP
OP
STCol
Bike
'99 ST1100
Hey finally got a chance to work on the bike yesterday & today. Gave it a service (new oil & filter, fuel filter, air filter, coolant & plugs) & had a look at ABS system. So I checked the battery terminals & all seemed good. Checked the voltage at the battery with the engine running & got 14.5V which droped to 14.26V when the headlights were turned on. From what I've read up these are normal values so all looks ok there. Removed ABS fuse to check but it's fine. Disconected cable to front modulator/pump (I think, It's the 1 with the red arrow pointing to it in the pic. Is this the right one?? Pic is taken standing in front of the bike with the screen & console rear covers removed). Reconnected but still the same. I then went to the ABS ecu & unpluged all 3 conections. When I connected them back up the ABS warning light is still on but when i do a diagnostic check I now don't get an error code. I get the long blink followed by nothing, followed a few seconds later by another long blink, but when i push the ABS button to reset the ABS warning lights just stay on & then when i ride the bike they flash quickly (every 0.5 second or so). Any help apreciated.

I'm after getting my hands on a used ABS brake line & pump being sold as 1 piece on ebay. Not sure if this is the problem but said i'd pick it up while it was available. Should have it in a few days. Are there any other checks i could be doning? Are there relays worth checking or anything?

Attachments

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
That long blink is a spacer to separate the codes. The system can store and report two codes at a time separated by the longer illuminations. You count the fast blinks in between the long ones to determine the error code(s). If all you are seeing are long blinks, that means there are no error codes stored. Good news!

OP
OP
STCol
Bike
'99 ST1100
That long blink is a spacer to separate the codes. The system can store and report two codes at a time separated by the longer illuminations. You count the fast blinks in between the long ones to determine the error code(s). If all you are seeing are long blinks, that means there are no error codes stored. Good news!
There are no error codes stored alright but the ABS still isn't working & the warning light just stays on. I'm guessing when I unplugged all the connectors from the ECU it cleared the memory, but prior to that there was just the 1 error showing. 3 short blinks indicating front modulator controller not working properly. I'm still confused as to what the modulator controller is though :confused:? Is it the pump? Is it the part marked with the arrow in the above post? or is it an elctronic unit?

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
There are no error codes stored alright but the ABS still isn't working & the warning light just stays on. I'm guessing when I unplugged all the connectors from the ECU it cleared the memory, but prior to that there was just the 1 error showing. 3 short blinks indicating front modulator controller not working properly. I'm still confused as to what the modulator controller is though :confused:? Is it the pump? Is it the part marked with the arrow in the above post? or is it an elctronic unit?

So the ABS light stays on even if you ride the bike a short distance?

OP
OP
STCol
Bike
'99 ST1100
So the ABS light stays on even if you ride the bike a short distance?
Yeah stays on even when riding. The only difference is that when the bike starts to move the ABS light goes to flashing. I actually can't remember if it it goes back to constant on or stays flashing when I stop again. I think it stays flashing.

Bike
They all share
Yep, there are 3 ABS ECUs here that throw same code- front pump problem & following troubleshooting guide, it shows all 3 ECUs are bad. Highly unlikely 3 are bad in the Hotlanta area. Tried all 3 on my bike & same code. Checked all relays (both pumps run 3 sec as they should) and contacts are good enough to carry light bulb current. While starting, 2Volts shows between battery negative and small ground wire connected to frame just forward of battery. Imperfect grounds can cause ABS problems & i'll trace this down & let U guys know how it's going. NEXT QUESTION Anyone have a Factory Honda manual? My Clymer print shows that the ABS/TCS Warning push button (on left side) is a normally open contact & I think that's wrong. Mine is normally closed & I think that is correct as it normally sinks it's ECU input to ground. I believe the push button is working as it should. Please look on your print & see for me.
Thanks, De :)

Bike
ST1100 1999
OK folks. Sorry for dragging up an old thread but I think tis may be related. I noticed the ABS lights had not lit at all since I purchased the bike before Christmas (Have not driven it much since) Decided to see if it needed new bulbs, so I opened up the panel behind the instruments to find... nothing.
No bulbs, no sockets where the bulbs go, no wires connecting to the sockets, but two multi pin connectors with nothing in them on the loom, above the headlight, and a male and female bullet connector between the two connected to nothing.
http://www.st-1100.com/st1100-parts-fiche-instruments-st1100ay.html
Can anyone tell me why this module would be removed?
Item 32 is missing completely(37605-MY3-781). Should they normally connect to item 6? Would the above have been removed for any reason other than to stop the ABS light flashing?

Bike
ST1100 1999
Dealer confirmed yesterday that ABS was non functional when I bought it, and this was one of the conditions of sale (Strangely I have no memory of this). Cost of repair is in excess of bike value. CBS works fine though.

Top Bottom