ST1100 Pan ABS problem

Bike
'98 ST1100
STOC #
Just curious, my ST1100 doesn't have ABS and I know next to nothing (in detail ) about MC ABS , especially the " whizzie " ABS on some older BMW's.

So how does one know if the ABS is "working" ??? If there are no trouble codes, is this proof enough ?? How does one "test" to verify that the ABS is "working" ??

Bike
'98 ST1100
STOC #
I can make a well controlled, hard stop with my ST1100 too, but it doesn't have ABS. So how does one know the ABS is working ??

If the abs is woring it wont lock the front or rear wheel becouse of the abs.
I have an issue with the abs i changed the rear abs pump. But still if i brake hard on gravel with rear brake the back (and the front (becose of the CBS system)) wheel will lock.. if the ABS would work It WOULD WORK the wheel would not lock.
I had a fault number 2 (rear wheel pump modulator) i changed the modulator.. now it says fault 4.. rear wheel abs pump motor... any ideas?
All conections by the pump motor are nice and clean...

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
I hate to ask a possibly stupid question- on my 94 the ABS works fine (no flashing of the dash light and it goes off after starting and riding it)- if the ABS computer or module was shot for whatever reason (bike is now 26 years old and I’ve never activated the ABS circuit in the 5 or so years I’ve owned it), you just then have non ABS brakes similar to a non ABS ST1100, no?

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
My understanding of the ABS (Mr. Heath would be the one to ask), is it goes through a self-diagnosis when you first turn the bike on. If there are problems it can detect, the ABS dash lights will flash out the sequences. If the ABS lights go out as soon as you are underway, then it thinks everything is fine. However, this could be a case like a crazy man diagnosing himself - he thinks he is fine and it is the rest of the world that is crazy. :biggrin:

Bike
R1200rt
I'm not familiar with the st1100 abs system but when I have an auto come in with a module/pump fault I would check the pump first. The pump should have power and ground wires to it that are activated by the relay or module. Just a quick battery jump to the wires of the pump will verify if the pump runs. If it does look into what powers the pump if it doesn't the pump brushes are probable stuck, common problem. There are some videos of how BMW pump are repaired on YOUTUBE but not sure if they are similar.

Bike
Vstrom 650
I hate to ask a possibly stupid question- on my 94 the ABS works fine (no flashing of the dash light and it goes off after starting and riding it)- if the ABS computer or module was shot for whatever reason (bike is now 26 years old and I’ve never activated the ABS circuit in the 5 or so years I’ve owned it), you just then have non ABS brakes similar to a non ABS ST1100, no?
If the abs stops working you bike will still have the linked brakes, which I have found near impossible to lock up and as good as abs,I don't like the way abs pulses the lever/pedal anyway on bikes or autos.

DaveWooster

'95 ST1100ALS and '98 Standard ST1100W
Bike
1995 ST1100A
STOC #
If the abs is working it wont lock the front or rear wheel becouse of the abs.
I have an issue with the abs i changed the rear abs pump. But still if i brake hard on gravel with rear brake the back (and the front (becose of the CBS system)) wheel will lock.. if the ABS would work It WOULD WORK the wheel would not lock.
I had a fault number 2 (rear wheel pump modulator) i changed the modulator.. now it says fault 4.. rear wheel abs pump motor... any ideas?
55AGM,
What is the Honda model year or year code of your ST1100 Pan? Or what is the frame number?

If the red ABS light does not come on at first, and then does not go out completely when you start to roll, then ABS can NOT ever be working on that journey.

Last edited:

DaveWooster

Bike
1995 ST1100A
STOC #
That is right.

And that appears to be member 55AGM's current situation.

DaveWooster

Bike
1995 ST1100A
STOC #
If the abs stops working you bike will still have the linked brakes, which I have found near impossible to lock up and as good as abs,I don't like the way abs pulses the lever/pedal anyway on bikes or autos.
Erdoc will have standard brakes because his is a 1994 model.

DaveWooster

Bike
1995 ST1100A
STOC #
If the abs is working it won't lock the front or rear wheel because of the abs.
I have an issue with the abs i changed the rear abs pump. But still if i brake hard on gravel with rear brake the back (and the front (because of the CBS system)) wheel will lock.. if the ABS would work It WOULD WORK the wheel would not lock.
He has CBS, so he has ABS II.
Others here know ABS II, but I do not.

55AGM, if you have any fault, the ABS is not working.

What does the red ABS light do when you ride?

Do you have an Owners Manual?

Last edited:
Top Bottom