Votes: 3 4.0%
  • OUTSTANDING: I have an FCE w/issues

Votes: 11 14.7%
  • REPLACED: I had an FCE w/issues and it was replaced, still have issues

Votes: 7 9.3%

• Total voters
STOC #
Hi,
The throttle on the ST is like the heat issue. Some got it and some dont. First I did the throttle cables with no joy in mudville. Then the G2.. better but not rheostat smooth. Then the FCE and nirvana.. My guage is when coming into a corner and applying maintaince throttle. If there is no CLUNK and wiggle when applying throttle all is good. I also had heat issues that the insulating blanket took care of . NIce and comfortable..

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Mine was the 1st version and always worked great with never an issue in heat or cold weather.. It was the best improvement for the abrupt throttle to date that I've tried.

Bike
'08 ST1300ABS
STOC #
My FCE package arrived yesterday. Apparently it is a pain to install with ABS as that computer module is in the way of the FI module. Takes longer to gain access according to their shop (via phone call). MIGHT have time to install this weekend. Will post an update once installed and tested for a while.

What is this "issue" that is being posted about that you have to kill the engine and restart to fix?! If i'm rolling into a curve, or especially doing precision riding (cone) drills, I need that engine rpm/power level to hold steady - jumpy rpms or engine dying is not an option, even with really good friction zone operation of clutch. Just want to know before i tear into things what potential downside there might be.

Thanks to Mitch96 for the tip on practice crimping. I got the same advice from Rockland MC (Ivan's). I actually already had a set of crimpers like the ones they provided, but I will make a couple practice connections before chopping on the harness. It looks like there is not a lot of extra wire length in there to cut and re-crimp an error...

Last edited:
STOC #
Randy,
If you can crimp a bunch of wires and pull on them and they don't come off your good to go. It's not all that hard, just make sure your crimps are good.

Bike
2006 ST1300A
What is this "issue" that is being posted about that you have to kill the engine and restart to fix?!
That problem was with the earliest version and yours should be OK. It would happen on my original FCE when I restarted my bike on a hot day after having already ridden many miles. When I restarted the engine, it was like the FCE went into "limp mode" and the "throttle-snatch" was back in full force. Shutting off the engine & turning it back on (re-booting the FCE) while underway always solved it until the next hot restart. I have not experienced that issue with the later version FCE they sent me.

BTW, I crimped AND soldered mine.

STOC #
BTW, I crimped AND soldered mine.

Ahh the classic Western Union connection.. "A solid mechanical and electrical connection is required for optimal performance and reliability "

My FCE error uasually happened while going down the road, not after a stop.. I'd twist the throttle and blahhhhhhhh nothing. Reboot and I'm good to go. It only happens once in a while to the point where I forget about the error..

Throttlejockey

Padden is my hero
Bike
06 ST1300
STOC #
Sounds like a dangerous thing to have happen if you need to accelerate to avoid something. That is unacceptable IMO.

Bike
2016 FJR1300ES
STOC #
Sounds like a dangerous thing to have happen if you need to accelerate to avoid something. That is unacceptable IMO.
When it would happen to me with the 1st generation device my bike would just revert back to a slightly exaggerated version of the stock situation. Abrupt throttle, but fully functional. The only dangerous situation I've ever experienced was when I tried to use a Dynojet Powercommander. Now <that> was a dangerous situation. The bike would stall and then buck. Nearly dropped my bike in front of oncoming traffic while trying to pull out onto a 2 lane highway! They never figured out the issue then pulled the device from the market. Ivan's FCE does the trick on stubborn ST throttles!!

http://koczarski.com/ST1300/PowerCommander/PowerCommander.htm

http://koczarski.com/ST1300/20100815IvansFCE/Pics.htm

Last edited:

omniron

...rider of V'GER
Bike
18 Kawi Ninja H2SXSE
An FCE unit was the first farkle I put on my bike when I bought it in 2011. Yes, I had to take the entire back end of the bike apart to get at the wiring, but it was all good when I finished the crimping AND soldering. I'd do it all again to tame the throttle.

The problem is actually because of EPA regulations for fuel injected engines; requiring complete fuel shutoff when the throttle is closed at RPMs above a certain level. Cages do the same thing, but their greater mass softens the effect, unlike motorcycles.

STOC #
It looks like there is not a lot of extra wire length in there to cut and re-crimp an error...
I thought about that too. I put on crimp bullit snap connectors. I can de install the FCE and just connect the wires back to original configuration. Did this with my brake lite modulator also. Take it out, snap the wires together and your good to go..

Attachments

Hi, long time no post here for me!.

I have one of the first 02 ST13's over in the UK and was happy reasonably happy with my 56psi TT FPR. Then I saw Ivans FCE and was intrigued if it maybe better so bought one along with a stock 50 psi FPR. After fitting both devices I went out for a very short test ride and although I couldn't notice a lot of difference I though ok.

Now I'm on holiday although not to far and the bike is running pretty bad with all the original symptoms of surging on light throttle, lag on opening the throttle like its running short on fuel and the usual abrupt on/ off throttle. I'm not very happy to say the least.

My supplier is sending me out another to try but I was told the first one was the new uprated version so I'm not holding out much hope, its a bit time consuming pulling the tail off the bike but I guess I will give it a shot. Incidentally if I ride away from cold start whilst the idle is high the bike seems ok for about a mile then the warmer the temps get the worse the symptoms.

Has anyone else experianced this and gone back to using a turbo Tom FPR ?.

Thanks.

Bike
'08 ST1300ABS
STOC #
"...Incidentally if I ride away from cold start whilst the idle is high the bike seems ok for about a mile then the warmer the temps get the worse the symptoms...."

That makes sense as the fuel injection would be in open loop mode until the O2 sensors, coolant temp, and other things stabilize at normal operating range. I expect the FCE altered signals are mostly being bypassed until the engine is approaching normal operating temperature.

I haven't installed mine yet. Will probably be a couple weeks yet before I have time. I'll be using the stock FPR and stock pump. I am hopeful the effort to put this unit in effects a noticeable positive change with no downside. If I have that experience, it will be coming out and returned for as much refund as I can get. Not interested in anything that will create inconsistent throttle response. At least I know what to expect in the OEM configuration.

Randy

"...Incidentally if I ride away from cold start whilst the idle is high the bike seems ok for about a mile then the warmer the temps get the worse the symptoms...."

That makes sense as the fuel injection would be in open loop mode until the O2 sensors, coolant temp, and other things stabilize at normal operating range. I expect the FCE altered signals are mostly being bypassed until the engine is approaching normal operating temperature.

I haven't installed mine yet. Will probably be a couple weeks yet before I have time. I'll be using the stock FPR and stock pump. I am hopeful the effort to put this unit in effects a noticeable positive change with no downside. If I have that experience, it will be coming out and returned for as much refund as I can get. Not interested in anything that will create inconsistent throttle response. At least I know what to expect in the OEM configuration.

Randy

Good luck with it, I think my bike maybe one of the worse ones for poor throttle response. I was sent another FCE to try and disappointingly I had the same trouble. I removed the FCE and both have gone back for a refund now, strangely the bike is no different without the FCE but with the standard FPR in situ, certainly no worse.

Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
Good luck with it, I think my bike maybe one of the worse ones for poor throttle response. I was sent another FCE to try and disappointingly I had the same trouble. I removed the FCE and both have gone back for a refund now, strangely the bike is no different without the FCE but with the standard FPR in situ, certainly no worse.
I was an early adopter and the first one had a serious flaw where it would suddenly and completely shut off the injectors, and then when you applied throttle in trying to figure out what was going on, they injectors would turn back on and the front wheel about came off the ground! Ivan discovered that it was due to the pin he had chosen for power. I immediately sent it back for a replacement, post fix, and was never able to tell a difference with my '06. I even built a switch box so that I could quickly enable and disable the FCE. There was absolutely no improvement in the fuel cutoff issue, and I noticed that it would occasionally lose a slight bit of power for a brief moment when holding the throttle at a fixed position.

In the end, I ordered a throttle tamer and installed a set of grip puppies to enlarge the grip diameter. Between the two, they made the throttle more manageable. I understand that the fuel cutoff characteristic was designed into the ST as a means of improving the fuel emissions, but it has to be the worst trait ever programmed into a bike. It actually can create a dangerous situation when negotiating a small radius, slow speed turn, and you need to get back on the throttle again.

I was an early adopter and the first one had a serious flaw where it would suddenly and completely shut off the injectors, and then when you applied throttle in trying to figure out what was going on, they injectors would turn back on and the front wheel about came off the ground! Ivan discovered that it was due to the pin he had chosen for power. I immediately sent it back for a replacement, post fix, and was never able to tell a difference with my '06. I even built a switch box so that I could quickly enable and disable the FCE. There was absolutely no improvement in the fuel cutoff issue, and I noticed that it would occasionally lose a slight bit of power for a brief moment when holding the throttle at a fixed position.

In the end, I ordered a throttle tamer and installed a set of grip puppies to enlarge the grip diameter. Between the two, they made the throttle more manageable. I understand that the fuel cutoff characteristic was designed into the ST as a means of improving the fuel emissions, but it has to be the worst trait ever programmed into a bike. It actually can create a dangerous situation when negotiating a small radius, slow speed turn, and you need to get back on the throttle again.
Thanks for that, I've now taken the FCE off and returned it bike seems ok without it but I may refit my FPR at some point.

I agree its the worst thing about the ST and could catch anyone out who was unaware of the characteristic.

Cheers.

STOC #
Another way if dealing with the Fuel cut is to apply the rear brake just before giving some gas. This works well in a turn as touching the brake also does other things to help the bike in a turn. Sort of a trail brake kind of thing and it smooths out the whole driveline.
Between the FCE,FPR, G2 and all the other acronyms the throttle is manageable…I'm curious how other MFG's deal with this problem……..Like Yamaha.. The FJR's I rode does not do the Fuel cut thing, nor my '12 Weestrom...

I just put Ivans FCE on this morning. Simple install & I learned something that I have been stubborn about for ever. I have always believed in soldering all connections & using shrink tubing, but the crimper & the included connectors made a believer out of me in a big way. The unit performed as advertised as I knew it would having used his services on my Yamaha Raider. I had to ride a bit to see & fully experience the improvement and it is terriffic. I had been trained like a rat on a box to compensate with delicate wrist control, but no.longer have to ride like it's damn test each time I mount Miss Piggy. Thanks a heap Ivan, it's awesome!

Top Bottom