Power Commander ST1300?

Hi,
New guy here, I have been looking for a Power Commander for my ST1300 and noticed Dynojet no longer makes them. What is the fix? I have read about the fuel regulator in prior posts, but is that enough?
Thanks,
Jeff.

nm6r

Blue is faster!!!
The Power Commander never really worked on the ST1300. The Turbo City fuel pressure regulator is intended to smooth out the flat spot and minimize the throttle abruptness. There just isn't much that is available to improve performance other than a K&N air filter and aftermarket pipes. Even then, the improvement is modest.

Ray

OP
OP
Thanks Ray for your input. I am still confused, all of my sportbikes, (and I have a few) have PC with excellent results. I don't see how a regulator will help with performance unless there was a problem in the first place? I guess Dynojet is my next stop in finding an answer.
Jeff.

Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
Honda fuel starved the bike at low RPM to stay in emission regulations. The regulator enriches the fuel delivery at low speeds.

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
...And the ST's system is a completely-closed loop, so if you try and alter what the ECM does, it will become self-aware and compensate.

--Mark

Byron

STOC #
The problem is Honda's closed loop system on the ST1300. Basically, you can't over-ride the ECM. What the modified fuel pressure regulator (FPR) did was increase the fuel pressure so when the injector opens it actually gets more fuel to counteract the lean EPA settings. Once the sensors report a rich condition the ECM shortens the injector pulse to lean things back out but by then you're normally past the RPM range causing the problem and things normalize. Just for clarity, the lean spots are the two RPM ranges that are used for EPA testing. The bike will sometimes stumble in these areas, one of which is just as you begin to open the throttle at low speed.

As previously mentioned any performance is gained by getting more air in and getting it out.

Hope this helps.

Bike
2009 ST1300A
STOC #
I just had my ST1300 Dyno ed in Calgary at Universal Cycle . We are at 3300 ft here. I have my pipes wrapped with the Turbo City regulator on and a K&N style filter and top draft inlet also from Turbo City.The bike dynoed out at 101 hp with 79 Ft lbs of torque. It showed the mixture to be about 17 parts at idle and reducing to 13 at 2000. It continued to drop to below 12 as the rpms increased leveling out above 11 over 6500.
My bike corresponded well with a second ST done earlier with about 1hp more. As I am having a sidecar installed I can use all the hp I can get.
Good luck with any mods you can find. We seem to have a great bike that will go on forever but we can not be enhance the performance any.

OP
OP
Thanks

Hi Everyone,
Thank you all for the responses. I called Dynojet today to try and get some feedback. They no longer make a PC III for the ST. When I tried to ask for an explanation, the tech would just state that they where no longer producing that unit. I'll keep on searching for an answer.
Jeff.

Killtimer

Youth Challenged Member
Somewhere in the Majestic Rocky Mountains of Alber
STOC #
Re: Thanks

I'll keep on searching for an answer.
Jeff.
The simple answer is that they couldn't make it work. A good buddy of mine offered his 2004STA as a test mule and they accepted. After a couple days of testing and riding, they removed the unit and left, never to be heard from again. :shrug2: I guess Honda's engineers are smarter than Dynojet's. ;)

Bike
BMW K1300S
I just got a tune with my "obsolete" power commander on my ST1300. The Power was okay with the standard dynojet download, but I had an occasional loss of power at part throttle so overall it kind of SUCKED. The baseline download from dynojet is deficient. I've called dynojet customer service and they employ sales people but not techs so basically, they are CLUELESS. They know next to nothing about getting the maximum out of their product. The tech at "Friendly Honda-Yamaha" (Cameron) blocked off the exhaust secondary air injection and performed a custom tune for each individual cylinder and the power just kept going up and up. We started with a baseline of 114.68 HP and 83.84 ft lbs of torque with a K&N filter and 2 Brother's exhaust doing a 4th gear power run. We ended with a max of 121.41 HP and 90.16 ft lbs with the same accessories plus a Turbo Tom Fuel Regulator on a 4th gear run. They did an all gears run and it produced a max of 123.82 HP with 93.68 ft lbs of torque. If you find a good tech, it is possible to get performance out of the product as was advertised.

Bike
2004 ST1300
Ok-as I read this thread: The easiest power gain will be the K&N and a better muffler. Simply open up the breathing on both ends and gain a few hp.
Will the computer add more fuel when it detects a leaner condition due to the better breathing?
- If yes, good. If not, is this why people add the fuel regulator upgrade?
Is there a preference between Two Brothers, Delkevic, and Staintunes?

Lastly-I looked at the Dobeck link. Really looks like a interface device that taps in more fuel at 4 different set points but does not say anything or appear to overcome the Honda closed loop computer.
Are there many of these units being used by forum members?
thanks greg

Bike
2012 GL1800 III
Ok-as I read this thread: The easiest power gain will be the K&N and a better muffler. Simply open up the breathing on both ends and gain a few hp.
Will the computer add more fuel when it detects a leaner condition due to the better breathing?
- If yes, good. If not, is this why people add the fuel regulator upgrade?
Is there a preference between Two Brothers, Delkevic, and Staintunes?

Lastly-I looked at the Dobeck link. Really looks like a interface device that taps in more fuel at 4 different set points but does not say anything or appear to overcome the Honda closed loop computer.
Are there many of these units being used by forum members?
thanks greg
The Dobeck system overcomes the closed loop system by defeating the O2 sensors, it uses an adapter ( purchased separately x2) . It makes the ECM think its in a warmup state and the x2 O2 sensors are ignored. This is also how its addressing the lean idle ( pot 1 adjustment), increases the fuel injected, like the upgraded FPR, but more precise.

Bike
ST1300
Just to re-ignite this old thread 2years on, lol. Bought a ST1100 beginning of year as a second bike to my Fireblade to do a bit of touring on and for a winter hack and loved it instantly so much I sold it and brought the ST1300. Being a sports bike rider I decided the ST13 needed bit more vroom vroom, so I fitted a USB III Power Commander, Two Brothers slip-on pipes with DB killers and a K&N filter, ripped the PAIR valve out and blocked off, replaced spark plugs with Iridium ones and wow.......the bike now pulls like a train all the way to a indicated 150mph, there is a considerable difference over stock and fuel economy has stayed same if not improved. I must add that my Pan is a 2003 model which is the only model a Power commander will work on plus mine is a European bike, and this is just with the standard MAP with the Low, Mid,and High manual fuel adjusted to maximum. Think once I get it on a rolling road Dyno and get a custom MAP loaded it will make it even better and fuel efficient. Its now a awesome bike and can really embarrass many a sports bike rider, unless they good rider on a superbike.

Last edited:
I have a 2003 ST and I also have the PCIII here on my desk for it. I removed it after a crash because the bike wasn't running right but discovered during removal that a wire had come disconnected. Regardless I think the bike feels faster then it removed than when it was connected and working. After reading the previous post here I'm curious if I should try installing it again.

How do I know if this thing has the right map on it and can I still load the correct one if not?

Is there anyone in the states (midwest ideally) that will help me tune it?

Top Bottom