07 st1300 fuel tank removal

Bike
2007 St 1300abs
STOC #
Hello guts I will be removing the tank on my 07 st1300 for a CB install, and would like to remove it for ease of wire routing. At what level on the gas gauge would be safe to do so?

Thanks.

Bike
'05 ST1300
STOC #
I didn't have to remove mine; just propped it up with the supplied rod. The shop manual says to pump out the upper tank prior to removal. If you're just propping it up, I'd think you'd only need to drain enough to avoid flow out of the filler cap. We used a fuel siphon from Wal-Mart. (riding 250 miles would accomplish the same thing, but isn't always an option, especially in Canada right now.) Be careful poking it around in the tank; I think that there's a sending unit in there somewhere.

Bike
2007 ST1300
Just prop it up, just finished wiring a bunch of stuff in (including J&M CB2003) and it can get a little cramped getting the wiring through, but more than doable. If you remove the tank it is highly recommended that you replace the main fuel line between the upper and lower tanks I think I read on this forum as well.

Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Just in case you really want to know.......
If your fuel gauge is showing 2 bars or less, you are using the lower tank.

I'd prop it up first and see if that gives you enough room to do what you want.

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
+1 on not removing the tank.. I've done a ton of wiring in that neighborhood without removing it. There's plenty of room around the air box, and there are a couple of good spots where you can route the wires.

I'd go for one bar to be sure. When you reach two, the float in the upper tank has bottomed out and it and the joint hose could still contain fuel. One means the thermistor in the lower tank has been exposed to air.

Also, if you plan on removing the tank, keep a joint hose and a set of clamps handy.

--Mark

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Hello guts I will be removing the tank on my 07 st1300 for a CB install, and would like to remove it for ease of wire routing. At what level on the gas gauge would be safe to do so?

Thanks.
I know I need to loose a little weight but you don't have to be rude... :rofl1:

+1 on all the above comments.

okmurdog

Will Ride for Pie
Bike
2014 FJR1300ES
STOC #
I just finished installing two JMCB-2003 systems on two different bikes - done both without removing the tank (just propped it up)...and one had a full tank of gas. I do have a spare joint hose and clamps...just in case.

I did remove all the tupperware though.

Tom Mac 04a

Site Supporter
Bike
04 ST1300a
STOC #
+1 on less than 3 bars...

BUT, If you have to use a siphon (**We used a fuel siphon from Wal-Mart**) be careful as you can easily damage the upper tanks float device.

Bike
stx 1300
Need to access the throttle body.Will need to use an impact screwdriver to remove screws from air box.Can this be done safely without removing the petrol tank, or, if i need to move it is it straight forward ?
Any suggestions ??
...niall

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
You can get under there with the tank propped up if you're not claustrophobic.

The screws that hold the bottom half of the air box onto the throttle bodies are a 38% Swiss cheese blend, so use a JIS screwdriver to reduce the chances of stripping them out.

--Mark

Bike
2012 GL1800 III
Need to access the throttle body.Will need to use an impact screwdriver to remove screws from air box.Can this be done safely without removing the petrol tank, or, if i need to move it is it straight forward ?
Any suggestions ??
...niall
I just finished up an install in the throttle body area .. Yes you can prop it up , but its easier to take the wiring harness out of the holder clip on the bottom of the tank, remove the retaining wire from the front , and gently pull the front of the tank up and back , hook a bungie cord on the one of the front tank mount holes, NOTE: remove the the metal washers and guides or they WILL fall out , and secure the other end of the bungie cord to the mount the the front of the rear seat locks into . It holds the tank up and out of the way , and you aren't stressing any of the fuel lines or wiring.
NOTE. Put the seat height adjuster in the rear slot, pull the tank back , just lift up a little, to the rear ( bolt and guide at the rear of the tank next to the seat adjuster) then lift up.
I've yet to use a impact screw driver to remove the throttle body air box screws. #2 Phillips 12" shaft, hard downward pressure, gradual twist till you hear them break free. Key is maintaining the downward pressure as you twist .. Same technique for tightening.

Hi there. I just moved from a 1100 to a 1300 and need to wire a Zumo. Does anyone have any photos of how to go about proppping up the tank? I've read how to do it but would really like some visuals to do this the first time. Thanks

Top Bottom