Inversion Table vs Chiropractor vs ?

FJRHank

"Scooter Pimp"
My last disc is a bulging disc (aka herniated disc I think), that recently caused me a problem again (loss of feeling this time). This after carrying some very heavy things up a flight of stairs.

Saw a Chiropractor (first time in many years) and it helped a little. Decided to try an Inversion Table a few days ago. It really seems to be helping. Not all of the feeling is back but the pressure is off of the nerves now.

Thought I'd share this. Some Walmarts have these in stock (only 1 within 50 miles for me, and thats Dallas!) for 119.00. They are pretty easy to use, but you do want to be careful! The first time I hadn't adjusted the lean angle and didn't bother with the use instructions... I mean how hard can it be?

Okay, I'm completely inverted... and I can't get up. My ankles are really starting to hurt... I think the doors locked so yelling for a neighbor probably won't help...

Yeah you want to read the instructions first, it's important ;)

Bike
2005 & 2006 St 1300
STOC #
From my experience keep up with the Inversion table. I suffer from degenerative disc disease, I have been receiving treatment from a chiropractor called decompression threapy along with laser light therapy and vibration therapy, the combination of the 3 have done wonders. Previous to this new therapy I was having an RF procedure done twice a year to cotterize the nerves with a lazer, this worked well but I would still suffer from alot of numbness. The decompression seems to alivate that numbness and has also made that RF procedure unnecessary. I will be looking in walmart here for that inversion table, a small price to pay for relief. Costco has a similar bed for $199. Hope it continues to help and gets you back in the saddle.:06biker:

Bike
07 ST1300A
Very helpful info, as I have been looking very hard at picking one of these up. I too have DDD, in almost all my lumbar discs, as well as a bulging disk bet L4 and L5. I dont have any pain, but my lower back can get tighter than a drum, cant even bend over to put socks on. The only thing that has saved me is finding the right Physical Therapist. Every am I do a set of pelvic twist stretching excerises, keeps the lower back muscles from tightening up. I've tried a chiro, wasnt very pleased with the less than positive results.

Thanks for posting this, I will definately pick one of these up.

OP
OP
FJRHank

FJRHank

"Scooter Pimp"
Thanks for your comments Rubberdarts and Greg, interesting info.

It does take a few times before you start to feel a difference, maybe 5 or 6 or so. And at first it's not easy to stay inverted for more then a couple of minutes. You have to get use to it. But once you start to relax you really feel your spine stretching out.

I won't be without one of these now. Anytime something flares up I can ice it and hang upside down, should be fine :) Will probably create like a regular routine, just to be safe.

Let us know how they work out for you guys!

Regards,

sherob

Old Herder of cats.
Bike
21 HD FLHXS (SGS)
STOC #
I have DDD and arthritis developing in my S1/L5/L4/L3... just had RF done... I feel great right now... I've had the epidural procedure done twice, that gave me a few days relief. I had a discectomy/laminectomy ~ 5 years ago.

I'm going to give accupuncture a shot if this doesn't last for a good amount of time. A friend at work does it, and swears by it! :bow1:

STOC #
Hi,
I joined the bum back club many moons ago. I use the inversion table and it's GREAT!! In the hospital they call it Disk decompression traction... I just hang like a bat, more like 45? and take a nap. The disk is like a squishy life saver. If you squeeze the vertebra together the disk bulges out and puts pressure on the nerve roots i.e.pain. Do the opposite, move the bones in the opposite direction, the disk "decompresses". When I have moved too many beached whales at work (I'm a X-ray tech) I use one of those heat packs and two aleve and hang up side down. Works like a champ and is better and cheaper than surgery......... YMMV

Mitch..

Bike
'05 ST1300
STOC #
I'm going in for the epidural procedure Thursday, as the PT and waiting haven't totally fixed my L5 bulged disc and sciatic nerve problem. Maybe I should look into an inversion table. (If nothing else, it will amuse the cats...)

Bike
2017 ST1300PA
2024 Miles
I also have an inversion table that I picked up at Sam's Club. I have had surgery for a herniated disk between L4-L5. It took care of the pain that I was having. Every now and then after doing some repetitive bending or heavy lifting and moving thinks I start to have back pain. I jump on the Inversion Table and stretch out the back, it works! You can actually feel and hear your spine decompressing and stretching.

STOC #
For under $200 it's less than a doctor visit. Like Hank said, read the instructions.. It is set up for your hight so the balance point is just right. When it is set up you can move your hands slowly up your body and you start to tip back. Once horizontal you move your arms up a little more and you go more inverted until you are at the angle you are comfortable with. To return to upright, just do the opposite. NOT TOO QUICKLY!!!!!!!!!!!!! You can inadvertently throw yourself forward and, well you catch my drift. Do everything slowly and you will be fine.
Pause at the horizontal going in both directions.
If you have a large mall in your vicinity, check out a store called "Relax the Back". They usually have one or two inversion tables you can try out. To me they are all the same and it's the "ankle grabber gizmo" that is the difference. Some are more comfortable than others...

mitch

Bike
Aprilia Atlantic 200
STOC #
I use my table daily...every day without fail when I'm home. When I travel to do my part time work gig I take the car and the table!

2 years ago I blew a disk, had a right leg that wouldn't do much, now I rarely notice it.

Good for killer situps too.

Money well spent.

I have a Teeter F7000.

Papa

R.I.P. - 2020/02/10
Rest In Peace
Bike
Blue Breeze
STOC #
Glad I found this thread. Thanks for the info.

Bike
2005 ST1300
I also have a inversion table, been useing it for almost 2 years.... it does help. But want to mention, that I just purchased a neurostimulor muscle stimulator. I am useing it as I type, this is the forth time I've used it. So far , short time I know) it has really taken alot of me back pain and muscle sorness away. I purchased it off WOOT for about $45.00.... we'll see, but great so far.

Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
Worth Mentioning Again

I'm a big fan of the inversion table. My first table was a Teeter Hang Ups. Teeter's quality is noticeably better than the <$100 one I use now, but the cheaper one still works, it's just not as robust and refined as the more expensive Teeter.

Returning upright is a challenge at first. Best to have someone within earshot when you first practice inverting, as it takes more effort to return upright than to invert. I believe this is because once you invert your body stretches slightly, becoming temporarily longer, thus your center of gravity changes. Doing the equivalent of a "pull-up" with your legs to shorten ones self before re-inverting helps. You'll find the transition back to the upright position takes less effort and is smoother using this "pull-up" technique.

Be advised that inversion tables have weight limits and are subject to failure if their maximum weight limit is exceeded.

Top Bottom