ABS lights stay on (1994 ST1100 with ABS/TCS)

This concerns my 1994 ST1100 with ABS/TCS. When I put the bike away in a warm dry garage for the winter, everything was working fine. Now that spring is sort of here I've taken it out and now the ABS/TCS lights stay on when I ride off. I've gone through the error code retrieval procedure & end up with one slow blink, which apparently indicates a fault with the front modulator crank angle sensor. Does anyone know what this is and where it is located. Any advice will be most welcome. Best regards to you all, Tony.

hi did you sort this fault i have the same code and was going to dismantle fairings and check all conections on abs tomorrow

Hound

Cave Canem
Bike
2004 ST1300PA
STOC #
I believe Tony replaced the rear sensor and all was well. That sensor is often the cause of problems even when the fault code points to something else...

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
Before you do any repairs, record the code and try clearing the ABS computer memory. Just press the ABS button briefly while the code is blinking out. In many cases the error won't come back and you can forget about it. If it does recur then you know you have a real problem.

Bike
1994 ST1100A
I just rebuilt my "non-serviceable" front modulator. The problem was the piston driven by the electric motor was frozen and so the pump never pressurized and the micro switch inside the plastic cover never closed during the self test immediately after engine start. The modulator is definitely serviceable, even though it is "sealed". I had to fill it up with DOT4 during and after repair. A good test is to energize the 12V motor and make sure the piston moves forward, closing the micro switch.

Top Bottom