North America "WILD CARD" TAG

Bike
'14 CTX1300
STOC #
Now I don't mean to be a bother about a game but....

From Wikipedia: The Aerial Lift Bridge (earlier known as the Aerial Bridge or Aerial Ferry Bridge) is a landmark in the port city of Duluth, Minnesota. The span began life in 1905 as the United States' first transporter bridge. (Only one other was ever constructed in the country, Sky Ride in Chicago).

The one in Chicago was torn down on August 29, 1935 at the end of The Worlds Fair.

Apparently only one in the country so for most of us a bit difficult to make a several day ride out to get to it. Maybe some loosening of the requirements?

carpdm

Site Supporter
STOC #
Now I don't mean to be a bother about a game but....

From Wikipedia: The Aerial Lift Bridge (earlier known as the Aerial Bridge or Aerial Ferry Bridge) is a landmark in the port city of Duluth, Minnesota. The span began life in 1905 as the United States' first transporter bridge. (Only one other was ever constructed in the country, Sky Ride in Chicago).

The one in Chicago was torn down on August 29, 1935 at the end of The Worlds Fair.

Apparently only one in the country so for most of us a bit difficult to make a several day ride out to get to it. Maybe some loosening of the requirements?
Geez, didn't realize a bridge of this sort was so rare. Stillwater had one, Until the new bridge was recently opened.

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
That bridge in Duluth appears to be the only remaining aerial lift bridge in NA--it is a form of a steel truss bridge. There are many steel truss bridges across NA.

Bike
2004 Honda ST1300ABS
STOC #
I'll pick up a steel truss bridge Tuesday night if it's not already been done by then:)

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Dale_I

Incorrigible Idealist
Site Supporter
Bike
08 FJR1300/01 ST1100
2024 Miles
STOC #
If it's agreed... then I guess we can continue with the new tag becoming:

Steel Truss Bridge:

image.jpg

carpdm: Really more than a little jealous of the wing. She's gorgeous!

Do we need any approval from the Committee Regarding Anylization of Pictures? (yes... [insert impending doom music here] the CRAP Committee) :scared2::22yikes::scared2:

I do believe we've missed two key phrases. This bridge began life as a transporter bridge, which made it unique.

In 1930, it was converted to a vertical lift bridge. Click on that link and you're redirected to the Wiki vertical lift bridge page, for which there are many examples.

BTW, a truss bridge is not the exact same as a vertical lift bridge, as a truss is in place (not a movable bridge).

Bike
2004 Honda ST1300ABS
STOC #
I do believe we've missed two key phrases. This bridge began life as a transporter bridge, which made it unique.

In 1930, it was converted to a vertical lift bridge. Click on that link and you're redirected to the Wiki vertical lift bridge page, for which there are many examples.

BTW, a truss bridge is not the exact same as a vertical lift bridge, as a truss is in place (not a movable bridge).
I guess that's why the wildcard is supposed to be something more general instead of a one off thing. . .does this mean you're going on a road trip to MN to pick it up? Should be a good run[emoji3]

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Correct... it's a BRIDGE, that's good enough... let's not turn this into something impossible to find... the whole point is there are enough of whatever is being used so anyone in the country, or many in the country, have a chance of getting it... otherwise, the game stalls.

Bike
2004 Honda ST1300ABS
STOC #
Correct... it's a BRIDGE, that's good enough... let's not turn this into something impossible to find... the whole point is there are enough of whatever is being used so anyone in the country, or many in the country, have a chance of getting it... otherwise, the game stalls.
Lol, I just checked and the one in Duluth is literally the only in all of North America. . The only other one in the Western Hemisphere is in Buenos Aires. .

Thanks Mellow,

I thank the OP for taking us to this Lift Bridge on steroids, but his challenge needs to be more general. We shouldn't be afraid of re-using an old challenge ie: another Historical Marker, old/unique building, etc.. now back to your regular riding schedule. :slv11:

carpdm

Site Supporter
STOC #
Wow....I never thought posting the lift bridge in Duluth would create soooo much discussion. But, happy to introduce riders to points of interest in my great state. Enjoy the ride!

Bike
2004 Honda ST1300ABS
STOC #
I have become confused as to what exactly you are referring to. The one in Duluth is the only one of what in all of N.A.- vertical lift bridge? If so that is not the case as there at least three vertical lift bridges I can think of off the top of my head around Montréal within 30 minutes of me including one that is a lift bridge for trains. They all lift to allow shipping through the St. Lawrence seaway.
I looked up "transportation bridges" on Google, and the only other one in the western hemisphere was listed as Buenos Aires. . .

Bike
2004 Honda ST1300ABS
STOC #
I have become confused as to what exactly you are referring to. The one in Duluth is the only one of what in all of N.A.- vertical lift bridge? If so that is not the case as there at least three vertical lift bridges I can think of off the top of my head around Montréal within 30 minutes of me including one that is a lift bridge for trains. They all lift to allow shipping through the St. Lawrence seaway.
That would be considered a draw bridge. There are plenty of those here too. . .wikipedia only has 9 know aerial lift bridges, in the whole world. Draw bridge pic below.

Dale_I

Incorrigible Idealist
Site Supporter
Bike
08 FJR1300/01 ST1100
2024 Miles
STOC #
The OP originally tagged an Aerial Transport Bridge, which was the original design of the pictured bridge. The Duluth bridge was converted to a vertical lift, but the only other Aerial bridge built was the Chicago Worlds Fair one that was dismantled afterwards.

However, we're back on track with the OP blessing with a truss style bridge. Also with a better understanding of the general theme nature of the National Tag. State tags do excellent with the local, unique, or rare. Thanks for keeping things moving!

Bike
2004 Honda ST1300ABS
STOC #
No draw bridges around here anymore. All we have is vertical lift bridges. If it wasn't so hot I would go get a picture but with our high humidity it is equivalent to 115 deg. F today so I am not riding anywhere in this weather.
105 here[emoji29]

Top Bottom