Buell 1125R Towed to Shop

Byron

STOC #
Went out for a ride today and had to have the bike towed to the shop for charging issue. Waiting to see if it is something that can be fix now or call for a ride home. :(

Post later when I findout more.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
That's a bummer!

Think you better make sure the ST and Buell are not parked next to each other, they seem to be talking to each other...last Saturday the floor leak of the ST and now this...it's a conspiracy I tell you! :22yikes:

Bike
2018 Gold Wing
STOC #
Wow, what's going on with HD? A guy in my ERC class had to have service to get his HD started after it quit on the Range during an exercise. It took the truck too long to get to him, so he didn't complete the course. Hope it is a simple fix Byron.

NoBull

Twisties are your friend
Bike
CRF450X
STOC #
Byron a common issue for the older models was the stator plug near the oil filter, it can be jarred loose while removing the filter. Although as I type this Im thinking yours is the model with the other motor, does it have the sporty motor? Anyhow good luck..

OP
OP
Byron

Byron

STOC #
Well they tell me it is the regulator and the charging harness which I already had on order from the last visit to the dealer a week ago. Hopefully they'll have the parts in a week and I'll be back in business.

Yes the 1125 has a Rotax built motor.

OP
OP
Byron

Byron

STOC #
OK, how does a MOD get to repeat posts???!!!
When posting from my Droid. Guess I held my finger to long in the same place when submitting.

How do you like the way the Buell negotiates those kinked up roads?:D
It does pretty good but I'm still in the getting acquainted phase of the relationship. :D

Bike
'08 Connie C14
STOC #
Hadn't thought about it before, but I have (I'm not the only one) one of the "If Harley Davidson built an Airplane, would you fly in it??" T shirts.

I HAVE flown in Rotax powered aircraft:)

OP
OP
Byron

Byron

STOC #
My geuss is they upgraded the electrical output on the '09 year engines and didn't think about it causing a problem with the regulator or wiring. When they did realize there might be issues they came out with the upgraded charging harness. Don't know if that includes a different voltage regulator or not. Maybe the higher output simply fried the original regulator.

Engines that are used in aircraft are better maintained than land vehicles for the most part. 2008 was the first year for the Buell 1125 helicon rotax engine. There were some changes between '08 & '09 to make improvements. I think it's a good engine, just need to get past the stumbling blocks.

Last edited:

TPadden

Tom Padden
Engines that are used in aircraft are better maintained than land vehicles for the most part.....
Maybe, maybe not; but both aircraft and marine recip engines do spend most of their lives at a constant RPM. Even in aircraft, most engine failures occur when power settings are changed, with RPM's either increased or decreased. At least that's what they taught us ;). :bow1:

Bike
'05 ST1300
STOC #
Byron,
Check out: badweatherbikers.com
there is a wealth of information there, all about Buells.
I own 5 of them, two of the old style tubers, (1995) two of the newer air cooled XB models, and an 1125CR
the stator problem is due to a lack of oil cooling, circulating around the stator, and the fact that they upgraded the output of the stator to resolve an issue with the '08 models. the harness effectively cuts out one leg of the stator output to reduce heat, and amperage to the electrical system during low RPM's. It is a stop gap measure, but with Buell no longer in business, it's up to Harley(spit) to resolve the issue, and that isn't going to happen.
Some owners have taken their burnt up stators in and had them rewound locally, with good results. they can then throw away that stupid harness upgrade and let the bike work the way it is supposed to.

I love all my Buells, they are great bikes, I've had few problems with any of mine. I've had zero problems with my 1125 so far, and it's got about 5000 miles on it.

I hope your issue has been resolved, like I stated above, check out the badweb, a wealth of info there!

Bart

:biker:

Top Bottom