Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BRAZOS - Taskforce Zippered Boot - Good Buy!

Bike
    SSM '91 ST1100
    Tip Overs:
    My Gallery

BRAZOS - Taskforce Zippered Boot - Good Buy!

I have bought the BRAZOS Taskforce 8" Zippered Boot. $29.99 at Academy Sports
    http://www.academy.com/index.php?pag...548-02157-6019

I have found that this boot provides good arch support for riding, while still providing a comfortable "walking" boot.

Although they claim to be Water-Resistant, I go one step further and use SNO-SEAL, a 'Bee'swax' Sealant.

Heat the boot to allow the sealant to absorb into the Pores and Seams/stitches, using a blow-dryer or heat gun.

[IMG] albumid=1570&pictureid=15090[/IMG]
    [IMG] albumid=1570&pictureid=15093[/IMG] ZIPPER SIDE of Boots

[IMG] albumid=1570&pictureid=15094[/IMG] SNO-SEAL 'BEE's WAX' Sealer
    [IMG] albumid=1570&pictureid=15095[/IMG] HEATING SNO-SEAL INTO BOOTS

[IMG] albumid=1570&pictureid=15092[/IMG] INSIDE OF BOOTS

› See More: BRAZOS - Taskforce Zippered Boot - Good Buy!
    Rob Peters

My Gallery

Re: BRAZOS - Taskforce Zippered Boot - Good Buy!

Looks like a great walking or hiking boot. Not much protection for riding.
    Tom
    Happily retired
    Arizona
    '07 ST1300A

Bike
    2014 Yamaha FZ-09
    2014 Miles:

My Gallery

While a great boot, they are questionable for motorcycles. The softer sole can be folded both backwards and sideways. This is an issue because it would possibly allow your foot to be crushed/broken if the bike were to fall on to it. The ankle also lacks reinforcement which in the event of a "get-off" helps keep the toe pointed the natural direction. I had a smiliar pair and they were very nice for running around and I did use them on my bike a lot. Admittedly, they would be better than sneakers.
    "I'm living on the edge!!!! No.......seriously.......I almost fell out of my chair that time."

Bike
    ST1100
    My Gallery

+3

I take off my combat boots at the end of my duty day and switch to motorcycle boots for adequate protection on the ride home.

Site Supporter
    (Threadstarter)
    Bike
    SSM '91 ST1100
    Tip Overs:
    My Gallery

Well I cant afford 250 boot right now, So it works for me!
    If I were to wreck, my boot might be the last thing to worry about, anyway.

Site Supporter
    (Threadstarter)
    Bike
    SSM '91 ST1100
    Tip Overs:
    My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by SoloTotoCoyote View Post
    While a great boot, they are questionable for motorcycles. The softer sole can be folded both backwards and sideways. This is an issue because it would possibly allow your foot to be crushed/broken if the bike were to fall on to it. The ankle also lacks reinforcement which in the event of a "get-off" helps keep the toe pointed the natural direction. I had a smiliar pair and they were very nice for running around and I did use them on my bike a lot. Admittedly, they would be better than sneakers.
    What boots keep your feet from getting crushed by the weight of a motorcycle or the 'mechinism-of-injury' from a wreck?

I was a medic and have yet to see even steel-toe boots NOT pinch the toes into the boot when a great impact-of-force falls upon them.

Help me out here!

Bike
    2014 Yamaha FZ-09
    2014 Miles:

My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by GetaHandleOnit View Post
    What boots keep your feet from getting crushed by the weight of a motorcycle or the 'mechinism-of-injury' from a wreck?

I was a medic and have yet to see even steel-toe boots NOT pinch the toes into the boot when a great impact-of-force falls upon them.

Help me out here!
    It's not the toe area that's most important.....it's the sole. You want a stiff sole that can't be easily folded. That's what really protects the foot. During a crash it is more likely that your foot will be crushed sideways than from directly on top. Unfortunately, as you noted, many people think steel toes are a safer choice as well. A main problem is that the metal inside can be bent which is really dangerous. Not to mention that during a long sliding crash the metal can even heat up and possibly cause burns.

Bike
    2014 Yamaha FZ-09
    2014 Miles:

My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by GetaHandleOnit View Post
    If I were to wreck, my boot might be the last thing to worry about, anyway.
    Your gear is only as good as the weakest component. A friend of mine was out riding through the mountains. He had an Arai, one piece leathers with an under-padded suit, and leather gauntlet gloves. To see him, most riders would probably say that he was equipped to handle an accident. For footwear he had a pair of boots similar to what you have. He wasn't hauling through the hills but caught a bit of gravel in one turn and ended up low sliding. When the bike hit the ground, his foot (understandably) got pinched between the bike and the ground. He slid a pretty good distance and upon trying to stand up, had an incredible amount of pain from his foot. After visiting the doctor, they determined that he had broken his foot pretty good. He was in a cast for about two months. When the bike fell onto his foot, the sole of his boot folded and allowed the full weight of the bike to smash his foot. This really wasn't that bad of an accident. Plenty of room on the shoulder, an easy low-side. But his foot was broken and although the bike was still ridable, he couldn't.

Bike
    '06 ST1300
    Tip Overs:
    My Gallery

It's not the toe area that's most important.....it's the sole. You want a stiff sole that can't be easily folded. That's what really protects the foot. During a crash it is more likely that your foot will be crushed sideways than from directly on top. Unfortunately, as you noted, many people think steel toes are a safer choice as well. A main problem is that the metal inside can be bent which is really dangerous. Not to mention that during a long sliding crash the metal can even heat up and possibly cause burns.
    Just to illustrate that there's an exception to every rule, a steel toe boot saved my foot on a motorcycle once... Some idiot tossed a beer bottle at me one night and while I was lucky enough to see it headed at me with enough time to get the bike moving out of the way, I was unable to fully avoid it and guess where it landed; right on the toe of my boot. Hit it hard enough to put a dent in the toe and lacerated the boot in several spots down to the steel but other than glass and beer all over the bike (which wasn't mine, so I'm really glad it hit me instead of the tank) I made it out of that one OK.

For the record, I have no illusions that steel toes would keep your foot safe in a crash, and I now wear a pair of Aerostich Combat Lites, but on that particular night the steel toe was a life (or foot) saver!
    PR
    <or Chris or rocka>

http://www.st-owners.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic17554_1.gif
    RIP ACL

Bike
    2008 VTX 1800T
    My Gallery

I have a pair of these -- in fact bought a set for me and the Mrs. However...

I discovered the hard way the importance of the sole. In Muenster, while pulling away from an inclined parking spot (the only space available, tho always a poor choice) the rear wheel of my Wing found an oil slick and the brute Titanicked! Going over on the right side the bike pinned me to the ground, folding my root sole in half, fracturing a couple of the small bone in the bridge of my foot. A riding boot would have likely prevented this injury.

Quote Originally Posted by punk rocka View Post
    Just to illustrate that there's an exception to every rule, a steel toe boot saved my foot on a motorcycle once... Some idiot tossed a beer bottle at me one night and while I was lucky enough to see it headed at me with enough time to get the bike moving out of the way, I was unable to fully avoid it and guess where it landed; right on the toe of my boot. Hit it hard enough to put a dent in the toe and lacerated the boot in several spots down to the steel but other than glass and beer all over the bike (which wasn't mine, so I'm really glad it hit me instead of the tank) I made it out of that one OK.
    And I recently caught a rock the size of a grape head on the toe of my new Tourmaster riding boots (two weeks ago, just before the most recent Dallas snow). The net result was a blemish on the boot and an ingrown toenail from the impact. It very likely would have pierced the cheaper boot.

Now my cost-saver serves as comfortable, light-weight knock around the yard and garage footwear -- but it will never again see the road from a two-wheeled ride.

That's a great price on a fine knock-around boot ($12 cheaper than what I paid), but I wouldn't invest in it for riding. JMHO
    "Even if you are on the right track, you will get run over if you just sit there." Will Rogers

+ New Posts
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast