Dog Carrier

Bike
'06 ST1300
I have a French Bulldog that I would like to take along on the bike. Any ideas where I may find a decent carrier?

alan

R.I.P - 3/20/2011
Rest In Peace
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
How big is the dog? A plastic milk crate bolted to the back of the bike and a good harness for the dog would work with a small dog. For really tiny dogs, I have seen owners carry the dog in a tank bag with an open top.

Bike
2008 Goldwing GL1800
I saw someone modified a Givi top case into a bike pet carrier. I think it was a V46 or next size up. He cut a large hole on the top and bolted on a Plexiglas dome with fresh air hole in it. It looked a bit like a UFO flying saucer. The pair of tiny dogs seemed quite happy.

How about taking a standard pet carrier from the pet shop and bolting it onto the luggage rack? one step further, buy a busted Givi top case and mate the bottom half with the pet carrier. use the monokey system to mount and dismount the carrier.

Kenny

indypup

Accidents HURT! Safety doesn't
Bike
2007 ST1300
STOC #
Ah finally a thread that I know something about. :D

The carrier is from China-Mart and acts as a back rest too. :D

I have the medium size. ;)

doghouse

ATGATT Saved My Life
Bike
2003 ST1300
I saw someone modified a Givi top case into a bike pet carrier. I think it was a V46 or next size up. He cut a large hole on the top and bolted on a Plexiglas dome with fresh air hole in it. It looked a bit like a UFO flying saucer. The pair of tiny dogs seemed quite happy.

How about taking a standard pet carrier from the pet shop and bolting it onto the luggage rack? one step further, buy a busted Givi top case and mate the bottom half with the pet carrier. use the monokey system to mount and dismount the carrier.

Kenny
Hmm... my wife has been after me to take sparkles (pom) with us on the bike. There's no way we can take the other dogs (corgi's and a 50# mutt) I'm thinking that with the price of bestem's I could just order 2... Either that or a high quality pet carrier strapped to a rear rack.

STOC #
Lexie has been riding with me since the day I got back on a bike. I had this pouch from a boat event I went too and I though, humm, it worked, she loves it.

Only problem is that it blocks all air from getting to me so I get really hot. Ths year I'll be trying a tank bag. I was going to modify one, but saw this: http://www.rideaddict.com/friendytankbag-black.aspx so THANKS TexaST for that link!

Lexie will be riding on the ST real soon.

Here are some pics of Lexie on the HOG

Attachments

Bike
2014 Yamaha FZ-09
STOC #
A major thing to consider when deciding how to carry a pet with you is how you're going to ensure their safety. We, as riders, put on gloves, helmets, jackets, ect to protect us in the event of a get off. It's your responsibility to make sure your pet is as protected as possible.

STOC #
A major thing to consider when deciding how to carry a pet with you is how you're going to ensure their safety. We, as riders, put on gloves, helmets, jackets, ect to protect us in the event of a get off. It's your responsibility to make sure your pet is as protected as possible.
There is only one carrier that can even claim to protect the pet in a get off, but even they have not tested it. So the fact remains that 1) if you are caring a pet, you better be at the top of your game and 2) if there is an accident, it is highly likely that at least one of you will not be surviving it.

That said, the same holds true for a car, though we can do a better job of protecting them by having them crated, if they are hit with the air bags, they will not survive.

They do make dog helmets; peanut shell or 1/2 helmets, but there too, it is not true protection. I can tell you that the custom Full Face Helmet on Polo, will do nothing to protect him in a crash. Polo, as is my dog, is strapped to the bike (or in my case, me) I feel that Polo's set up has more of a chance of survival as that portion of a bike is pretty well protected, but until I can see if there is no way for the dog to be pinned under the bike in the event of a crash, I don't know for sure so we must assume the dog will be thrown out of the carrier, but remain hooked to the bike. In my case, where Lexie is attached to me. The risk is having me crush her as I land or roll on the ground.

So some will say, why take the risk and all I have to do is look at the bike. Yes, I take a risk jumping on her and going for a ride. That is a risk most are not willing to take, but we do every day.

All I will add is to be sure your dog is tethers to something so that you can control the bike and not the dog. I have seen many who just let the dog "hang on". My instinct would be to try to stop the dog from falling off if there was a problem, That would cause me to stop controlling the bike leading to a nasty chain of events.

Now it is up to each person to weigh that risk / reward and make their decision. For me, the enjoyment Lexie and I have on the bike is very rewarding so I take the risk. We also take her Sailing, Hiking, Boating, to the movies and sneak her into restaurants. Oh, and next to riding the bike, her second most enjoyable event is riding on the front of the big Home Depot cart like she is George Washington. :rolleyes:

ChipSTer

Growing old, but not up!
Bike
2004 ST 1300
STOC #
I've seen how a motorcycle flips and flops and crushes odd parts as it hits the ground... I wouldn't want my doggie to be tied to the bike just for that reason... and why I wouldn't take my doggie with me on a motorcycle...
:cool:

draboo

SpongeBob Ogler
Bike
'10 Spyder RT-S
Here is our carrier for our little Kiddo. The mount straps tight to the seat and the unit snaps to the mount in 4 places. It has a strap on the inside that attaches to her harness. She can pop her head out of the front if she wants. There is a hole at either end that has a removeable screen and the sides have large vents that are closeable. Kiddo is extremely happy with this arrangement as are we. We ve only had her for a few months and already she loves riding on the motorcycle/Spyder. She gets excited when my wife gets her riding boots out of the closet.:D

Attachments

Top Bottom