affordable gear storage trailer

Byron

STOC #
I fixed the link for you. :D

Not bad but don't know if I could handle the 55 MPH max towing speed. :)

OP
OP
Ozzie
Bike
07 ST1300A(P)
STOC #
I fixed the link for you. :D

Not bad but don't know if I could handle the 55 MPH max towing speed. :)

You gotta love lawyers....
U-Haul trailers, 45mph limits. Really?, no, really?...... :)

ScubaDave

Site Supporter
Bike
st 1300
STOC #
They tow just fine. I have one I made that I towed 6 or 7000 miles so far. Going to try out a 1 wheel this year.

OP
OP
Ozzie
Bike
07 ST1300A(P)
STOC #
Find a hitch for the ST?
Not yet, but I now have access to a welder and a friend of mine works for a steel supply company. Another member sent me pics of his hitch and the gears are slowly turning in my head....

Bike
2004 ST1300
Ozzie,
I just finished my hitch. Cost, maybe $50. I used 5/8" steel tubing, 1/2" round bar, 1/8" X 4" plate and 1/8" X 1" flat stock. If you can cut it, bend it, weld it and drill it, you can build it. I have a post under farkles with link to more pics.

OP
OP
Ozzie
Bike
07 ST1300A(P)
STOC #
Restart on an old thread, looking at hitches again, this time on my 13. I found a company making what appears to be a blatant knockoff of the Bushtec hitch, but with an 1 7/8 ball. Pricing is reasonable. Gonna drop some dosh and order one up. Will report back. Hopefully I will have it ordered by next wed.

Last edited:

KTD1911

R.I.P. - 2020/10/13
Rest In Peace
Bike
2018 can am spyderf3
i have been towing a harbor freight trailer for years and tow it with a homemade hitch most of the time i cannot even tell it is there. top speed while towing sustained 90mph thru wyoming. you will have to change lighting wiring because of Honda has separate brake and turn source

There are some very good build threads on single wheel trailers on ADVrider.
Dave

OP
OP
Ozzie
Bike
07 ST1300A(P)
STOC #
Update. Ordered yesterday, got an email saying it shipped today, should be here by friday. Pics to come.

OP
OP
Ozzie
Bike
07 ST1300A(P)
STOC #
i have been towing a harbor freight trailer for years and tow it with a homemade hitch most of the time i cannot even tell it is there. top speed while towing sustained 90mph thru wyoming. you will have to change lighting wiring because of Honda has separate brake and turn source
I'm going to used a powered converter, these draw very little current from the actual bulb circuit(my Jeep is set up this way-of course, I'll have to add a new fuse block somewhere-something I plan to do anyway) and I will wire it into a hard mounted connector, and use a pigtail to connect to the trailer, that way I don't have anything dangling. I've learned in my old age, things that dangle tend to get ripped off....

Bike
2004 ST1300 (Blue)
STOC #
The kicker in all of this is wiring up there lights. I haven't seen that really mentioned in detail. Does anyone know of a pre-made harness or is it something you have to wire up yourselves should you want to add a trailer to your ST?

KTD1911

R.I.P. - 2020/10/13
Rest In Peace
Bike
2018 can am spyderf3
The kicker in all of this is wiring up there lights. I haven't seen that really mentioned in detail. Does anyone know of a pre-made harness or is it something you have to wire up yourselves should you want to add a trailer to your ST?
As far as I know it is do it yourself. I used a small 5 pin connector for harness i used positive. Hot all the time while bike was running source for my tail light. I also converted all trailer lights to led otherwise you overload the turn signal relay. I have customized the trailer also for cooler mountand extended the rear frame
I will be at rockstoc. And maybe at fairy stock for those who want to see it or for advice

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ozzie
Bike
07 ST1300A(P)
STOC #
FedEx arrived today!
rsz_hitch1.jpg
rsz_hitch2.jpg
rsz_20160217_1517071.jpg

Bit of a pain to install, more on that later.....waiting to hear from the company, probably to tell me what I figured out already....

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ozzie
Bike
07 ST1300A(P)
STOC #
Like I said, bit of a pain. The supplied hardware is a mix of standard and metric. The bolt for the forward mount has to be installed from the inside, and is an 8mm. However my 07 uses a factory 6mm bolt in this area. I was able to workaround by removing the bushing sleeve. But this leaves a threaded bolt in a rubber bushing, which I don't like. I will source a Stainless shank bolt and lock nut(preferably metric) and sized so that it can be installed from the outside. Installing the left side on my ABS version shows me the rear brake hoses are in the way due to the length of the bolt, I was able to insert it by by locating it under the hoses so I could push it through. I had to use a long rod to be able to reach it through the wheel from the opposite side. I also had to drill the muffler bracket because it is also sized for a 6mm bolt. I will also replace the supplied washers with thicker and larger ones. I had an issue with alignment between the front and rear holes and their associated mount points, the problem seemed to be the muffler bracket itself. I would recommend, if you can do it without breaking them, loosening up the muffler pipe clamps so that you can align better. The rear fender flap does touch the hitch itself, but not with any undo pressure. The rear mount bolt is standard thread, which is an annoyance to me. I would suggest that the manufacturer tap this hole in a metric thread, just for conformity.
Overall impressions: Seems solid. Welds are a little rough, but seem more than adequate. Would have preferred either a black or shinier silver finish. The powder coat seems decent quality.
Quality score: Going with 8 out of 10
Fit: Once again 8 out of 10
Finish: 9 out of 10
Completed look: 9 out of 10
Ease of install: 7 out of 10, the vague instructions and odd sized hardware were the main causes. Alignment issues could be due to mufflers being a little out of wack.
Value: Gotta go with a 9.5 out of 10. $139 bucks shipped to my door. Beats any other manufactured hitch I could find. By a lot. Unsure of country of origin.

Overall I'm pleased with the purchase, once I've made my hardware upgrades I will test it out.

Wiring will come later, will try to take pics. I have a plan, but need to source some stuff first.

Last edited:
Top Bottom