Article Adding Auxillary Fuse Block

thomascharles

Thomas
Bike
2005 St 1300
I added an axillary fuse block to accommodate the addition of heated grips, seat and vest; plus the fog lamps that I had previously added. I placed the block and relay on top of where the tool pouch was, moved the tool pouch and some spare fuses under the rear rubber strap in the tail. I used the original pouch strap to hold the fuse block in place. (I made a clasp from brass stock attached to the end of the rubber strap. The end is bent at slightly less than 90 degrees and locks over attachment point for the strap.) The owners manual still fits on top of the added block. I chose a Blue Sea fuse block as they are designed for marine use and a six fuse panel was the right size for the location. The 60 Amp Radio Shack relay is attached to the block at one corner with a machine screw and lock nut. The power is taken from the main battery cable just past the main fuse. There is an in line fuse installed close to the splice. The relay is energized from an ignition switched circuit although it could also be done through the tail light circuit.

Some notes:
1.Both crimp and solder all connectors if possible.
2.Leave enough extra wire to remove box to work on it.
3.Check for sharp edges. I found some under seat on supports. Protect wires.
4.Use wire ties frequently.
5.I tape wire splices and use heat shrink tubing if possible
6.I use heavier wire size than minimal.
7.Label all new wires.

Parts.
1. Blue Sea 5025 - 6 circuit with negative bus, with cover. 100 Amp ; 30 Amp / fused circuit. I purchased from Anchor Express on line. $43 including ship.
2.12VDC/40A SPST Automotive Relay Model: 275-001 | Catalog #: 275-001
Radio Shack store. $7
3.In line fuse

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Byron

STOC #
Why do you have a seperate "fog light" wire and a "fog light relay" yet it looks like you have two connections for "heat control"?

OP
OP

thomascharles

Thomas
Bike
2005 St 1300
the fog light has a relay also. one wire is for the lights and one is for the switch circuit that closes the relay. I have a control that powers upto 4 heat devices. The second orange wire is for the heated seat. the first is for the heated grips and auxillary outlets at the control unit on the handlebar.

Top Bottom