Scorpion Battery YTZ14S

FWIW: Took a chance and ordered/installed the Scorpion battery from Batterystuff ($68 shipped) a couple of months ago. No issues so far. Cold weather cranking is good, even at <32 degF. Time will tell.....

BTW: If you order a tender from Batterystuff at the same time as a battery replacement, call them directly and they can put the battery and tender in the same box. Saved about 11-12 bucks for me. The tender gets shipping, the battery does not when you do the online order thing. :rolleyes:

That was my experience.

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
Cold weather cranking is good, even at <32 degF. Time will tell.....
The thing that kills batteries isn't the cold, it's the heat. You'll know for sure if it was money well spent a year from now.

--Mark

OP
OP
1+ month and no issues. Haven't bothered to put in on the Tender.

Coldest start was 34 degrees. (engine cold) No sweat.

Agree that heat and vibration are the villians to a battery. The next time I post on this battery will be if there are any problems.

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
So far so good on the scorpian thru last summer and this winter. The batteries+ one didn't cut the mustard. +1 on the heat. You just find out about it in the cold when the battery chemistry slows down and the cranking load is higher.

OP
OP
Update:

It's mid July and no issues with the battery.

Had 16 days of no operation when I was out of town. Did not put the tender on it. Started without issue. Didn't blink out the clock either.

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin
Most motorcycle batteries come out of about 2 or 3 different manufacturing plants regardless of the brand. I know the Interstate bike batteries are made in the Yuasa plant in Thailand.

Bike
05 ST1300
I think I am due for a battery on my 05 with the original. I have found lately that the time gets set back to 1:00 and can't figure out why except that the battery may be the problem.....maybe not enough power to the clock on a heavy draw on a cold start. It still starts but the 'spin' seems a little weaker than it was. Has anyone had the time problem and do you think it is battery related? If not, I have an extended warranty to deal with the problem.
I think I will buy a Scorpion and give it a try for $68 delivered. It is made in China, but so are a LOT of things these days.

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
I think I am due for a battery on my 05 with the original. I have found lately that the time gets set back to 1:00 and can't figure out why except that the battery may be the problem......
That's a pretty common sympton of a dead or dying battery.
I would 1st check the battery connections and both ends to make sure they are clean then tight.

Assuming a full charge, what does the voltage show while cranking?

When I bought my pre-owned '06 ST1300A the digital Multi-meter has missing bottom half of the digits and the fuel gauge is missing the middle 4 bars. See attached picture. I don't know when the battery was last changed on this ST but could this be caused by a weak or dying battery? I have a want ad. for a replacement multi-meter but if this issue is cause by a weak battery; replacing it would be a much simpler task than replacing the instrument meter. Let me know if any one has experience this issue.

Bike
05 ST1300
I would be rather certain that the meter/guage problem with the missing parts of digits is not battery related.

Bike
05 ST1300
Installed a Scorpion battery a few weeks ago. They are now $72, shipping included. The old battery was the original in and '05. Will keep watching to see how happy we all are with our purchase.

STark1050

Garry Franklin
Bike
03 st1300
bonjohn
If you still have your old battery; could you weigh it? and compare that to the Scorpion. If one only last 3 years it would be cheaper. My 03 is on it's 2ed one and I think it will need another one soon.
--Garry--

OP
OP
It's March 2012 and no problems with the Scorpion battery to report. Put it on the tender twice over the winter. Just long enough for the green light to come on the tender. No issues.

Bike
2006 ST1300
I always laugh when I see people reporting that their battery lasted a year, or even two with no problems...I want to hear from the people who have had these batteries for 3, 4, or 5 years. Any battery should last at least 3 years without any issues. I put a set of el-cheap-o WalMart batteries in my old Cummins diesel truck, $90 for the pair, and it would still start at -25f several years later.

My original 2006 ST battery is still starting the bike just fine, although I have a new Scorpion sitting here ready to go in before I leave for Moonshine, just to be sure.

Jim

Cheddarhead

Smell the Dairy Air!
Bike
2003 ST1300...the "O
STOC #
I always laugh when I see people reporting that their battery lasted a year, or even two with no problems...I want to hear from the people who have had these batteries for 3, 4, or 5 years. Any battery should last at least 3 years without any issues. I put a set of el-cheap-o WalMart batteries in my old Cummins diesel truck, $90 for the pair, and it would still start at -25f several years later.

My original 2006 ST battery is still starting the bike just fine, although I have a new Scorpion sitting here ready to go in before I leave for Moonshine, just to be sure.

Jim

My '03 still has the original Battery...although I think it's probably toast now, as I trickle-charged it 3 weeks ago and it wouldn't start this AM. Hard to complain about getting 8 or 9 years on a battery, though.

I'm just hoping that whatever I replace it with gives life cycle and performance that is as good as the original....

Bike
07 ST 1300
After the clock resetting to 1am and the trip odometer resetting - then no start on Sunday morning this past weekend, I started cluing in on a new battery idea. Lots of reading in through here - finally opted for the Scorpion for both my ST1300 and CBR1000 - cost and the same length warranty as Yuasa being the primary reasons for the choice. Went to order this evening - out of stock on both. Out of stock on several. Waiting for a reply as to when either/both might be available. Both bikes in the garage - so it's not life or death - and happy about that. Just surprised to see all that advertising for nothing - so far.

Top Bottom