Scorpion Battery YTZ14S

Bike
07 ST 1300
Guys from Batterystuff wrote back today - will have YTZ14S back in stock within a couple of weeks - middle of April - for anyone heading in that direction.

Bike
2006 ST1300
I got mine right from Scorpion. Only a couple bucks more, and they ship Priority Mail...I had my battery up here in the middle of nowhere in 3 days. Thats as fast as my tires from Keel Brothers.

OP
OP
nhdiesel: the purpose of the thread is to document the performance of the Scorpion battery over the long-term...FWIW, the oem battery in my '03 was the one swapped out when I started this thread upon the Scorpion installation. Stick around and we'll see what happens. Welcome to the documentary.

Bike
2006 ST1300
I see the Scorpions as a good investment. I'm kind of a numbers guy, so I tend to break things down (my wife hates it when I do it). A stock Yuasa costs about double what a Scorpion does. If we were actually getting the same battery our bikes came with, and could count on them lasting 6 years, a Scorpion would only have to last 3 years to break even. But the many reports have shown the replacement Yuasa's only last 2-3 years. As such, a Scorpion only needs to last 1-1.5 years to break even. If my new Scorpion lasts 2 full seasons, it will have saved me money; any additional time is free, saving me money. I have little doubt the Scorpion will last 3 years, which comes out to half the cost/year of a replacement Yuasa.

I also take into account my bike is getting a LOT more use now that I own it. That is actually good for the battery (batteries don't like not being used), but also means my bike will have at least 125k miles when this Scorpion wears out; possibly even more than that.

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Jim, I have a Scorpion, 4 years old, just had it on Randy's battery tester at NJTechSTOC, "BATTERY GOOD." I think your reasoning is sound.

Bike
2006 ST1300
This piece of junk is getting returned...stuck in Kansas with dead battery. No more Scorpions for me!!!!!

Sent from my LG-US670 using Tapatalk 2

Bike
2007 ST1300abs
STOC #
I bought a Scorpion from Scorpion which I thought was lost in the order process but ended up getting one shipped from BatteryStuff. In the mean time I ordered one from BatteryStuff (which got to me first, I was dead in the water on the ST and needed it) So I've had two Scorpion batteries and since the wife's scoot needed one I just hung on to it.
Original Yussa (ST13) wouldn't turn over the bike after a charge when the weather was cold.
Put one in the 2007 ST1300 January 2012.
Put the other in my wife's 2001 Burgman 400 same time. Jan 2012. Little bigger than the stock battery but fit in the glove box. (Wasn't easy!)
So two test cases for the on going Scorpion record. FWIW.

Bike
08 VFR800, 17 CB1100
When I bought my 06 in 08 the previous owner had just replaced the OE battery. 4 years later it was still working fine, with no indications of any problems and then last Tues. it dropped dead. It's always been kept on a Battery Tender and the fully charged light was shining green when I pulled the pigtail, but there wasn't enough juice to turn the bike over. As a matter of fact what got my attention (in addition to no sound coming from the pipes) was that the Neutral light didn't illuminate. Here in AZ you're doing good to get 3 years out of ANY battery, so I was pleased with 4 from the OE. After deliberating on a course of action I called Battery Stuff and ended up pulling the trigger on a Scorpion. Recieved great service and it was delivered by USPS on Fri. Installed today and my girl fired up first time, no problems. Will advise if we encounter any issues.

Bike
2005 ST1300
Ordered one today...

Rode home, got off the bike to grab the mail. Tried to start it, dead.
2 batteries in +100,000K and 7.5 + years...not bad.

Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
I just put a new Scorpion on mine last night, replacing the old one. I need to check and try to find my old receipt... but I believe I have had it in service a little over 4 years now with no problems. (I drive year round and have put on trickle charge in winter) It didnt die on me either, but it is weak and will go all the way down sometimes (reset tripometer and clock) when starting, so I ordered a new one. Put the new one in, man everything is whirring now... I think they are a fine battery for the price.

FL-STrider

Roughing it smoothly
Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
I've had my Scorpian battery just over three years now and it still cranking my bike fine. I also live in Florida and heat is a batteries number one enemy. For the money it's a good battery, also bought mine from batterystuff.com.

I ordered on new Scorpion YTZ14S this last week from batterystuff.com. The web site lists as 11.2AH and 230CCA but printed on the new battery is 10AH and 220CCA. I'm waiting for a reply on an email I sent them. I wanted to see what others are getting as far as specs on their new Scorpion batteries.

Bike
2006 ST1300
Because I didn't have another battery to use, I wasn't able to return my Scorpion for a warranty swap. Its now getting cold and my 7 month old battery will barely crank the bike on colder days. The rest of the year it would start, but had very little reserve capacity...more than a minute or so with the key on and it wouldn't start. I can't comment on their customer service or warranty since I wasn't able to use it. Once my bike has to be put up for the winter I may try to get a replacement...but I'm considering just getting one of the Yuasa's from the current deal mentioned in another thread.

OP
OP
Update on the battery journal: It's April 2013 and no issues (installed early 2010). Had it on the 'tender periodically over the winter. Holding a charge and no issues starting in cold weather ( 32-50 degF)

Bike
2006 ST1300
My wife got to laugh at me. I forgot to disconnect the battery in her Ninja last fall. Original battery in the'07. After being parked since November it had plenty of juice to crank over and start. My 1 year old Scorpion won't last a weekend lol.

Sent from my XT881 using Tapatalk 2

The Dan

The Dude Abides
Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
2009 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
She has been sneaking out and putting the charger on when your away. I can't believe you fell for it.....Good one girl....

FL-STrider

Roughing it smoothly
Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
Just replaced my Scorpion with a new one. It came in 3 days from the time the order was placed and I live FL. Unpacked the new battery and thru it on the charger for about an hour and placed the battery into the bike. It cranks the bike quickly and once again given the cost I'm pretty darn happy with it. I did notice that the construction of the battery is different namely the battery post. My older Scorpion (circa 2009) had heavy sheet metal type posts whereas this on has the standard lead posts. Nuts and bolts where supplied, this battery is Made in Thailand.

Bike
2021 Tracer 9GT
STOC #
I must be hard on batteries. The 1st Scorpion lasted less than a year, Battery Stuff replaced it free. The replacement load tests marginally after two years. Always on the tender when not in use at home. I have found that ST1300s are hard on batteries anyway and the best AGM replacement battery for them is the Power Sonic 230 CCA 12 AH from BatteryWeb.com, $92 delivered.

Last edited:
Top Bottom