Metzler 880's

indypup

Accidents HURT! Safety doesn't
Bike
2007 ST1300
STOC #
I had an ME880 on the rear. It was slick when wet. :( I won't be doing that anytime soon again. :scared2:

Tyrbrnr

Rick
Bike
ST-1300
STOC #
I just changed a set of them. My 2 cents, worst tire for the ST. They wore bad and made a lot of noise. So much so that I have pulled over many times just to check to make sure they ok. I have used them on other bikes and they were great. Not on the ST.

Bike
ST 1300
Love the Z6 front with the 880 rear. I ran a Z6 on front and rear both once, and the rear was toast in less than 5,000 miles. The 880 holds up much better, and I haven't noticed any problems. The Z6 was by far the worst rear tire in wet weather.

STArnie13

R.I.P. - 2020/07/03
Rest In Peace
I had a set on my 1300. The front was loud from the start and didn't last any longer than the stock tire. The rear made about 12,000 miles and did fine for me. The new Dennis Kirk catalog does not list them for the ST. Other places may still have them.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Love the Z6 front with the 880 rear. I ran a Z6 on front and rear both once, and the rear was toast in less than 5,000 miles. The 880 holds up much better, and I haven't noticed any problems. The Z6 was by far the worst rear tire in wet weather.
Other than the low mileage I had a quite different experience with Z6's. It was a great wet weather tire set - I ran two sets and both got about 6,000 miles. I never get more than about that anyway no matter Z6, Avon Storm, Michelin PR I, or OEM BT020's. I was into a set of Michelin PR2's and I disliked them quite alot. They are sitting in the garage now gathering dust. I probably won't remount them but I would run another set of Z6's if I had to.

Bike
ST 1300
I'm basing that on one rear Z6 during a trip to AR. I took the Pig Trail out of AR on the way back home in a pouring rain, and that rear wanted to cut loose on every turn. I suppose it could have been a bad compound in that tire, but I swore off of them either way. Keith from TX was riding back with me, and he saw just what a tough time I was having with it. The really sad thing is that I wasn't pushing the bike at all. In fact, I was trying really hard to take it easy and not wash out in a turn. I ran the Z6 front and 880 rear to Moonshine this past weekend. So far, that's 1,000 miles on this second setup, and they performed great all weekend.

I have an 880 on the rear not by choice. I was out of town and did not want to push another all day ride on my old tire. I pulled into Durango Honda. That's what they had that's what I got. I really like it so far. I think it feels great in the corners. I've not been on wet roads with it yet. With the size of the channels cut in the tire I would think it would be good at moving water. I'm typically pretty cautious and slow when roads are wet regardless of the tire. The day before I was on my old tire 4 hours in the rain. It looked like new asphalt between Gunnison and Montrose. The road had not been chip sealed and it appeared the water was not running off the road as the road looked like one giant puddle of water. Traffic was fairly heavy. I was thinking if my bike slides out I'll either be in the guard rail or on coming traffic. Neither would be good.

Bike
'05 ST1300
STOC #
Trading performance (handling, traction, wet weather grip...) for mileage isn't a good idea, in my opinion. I get ten thousand plus miles on a rear PR4; I don't think the potential savings with a cruiser tire are worth the non-monetary costs.

Bike
2009 ST 1300
I have run the Michelin Pilot Road 4s the last couple of years and been happy with their performance, probably just my bad luck, but twice now I have picked up a nail on a rainy day with about 2k on the rear tire. I was thinking about switching back to Pirelli and was kicking around the Metzeler ME880 idea, but judging by the comments already posted I should probably stick with what's worked in the past. So far, it's been either Michelin or Pirelli. Would like to say the Michelin has longer tread wear but since I keep changing them with 2k miles (and a nail) I can't speak to the PR4 longevity vs. the Pirelli Angel GT. They both seem to handle well in wet conditions.

Ron

Bike
ST1100s
STOC #
I used the 880 one time. It was scary in the rain or on wet pavement. It also made the ST feel like a 2 ton truck ride wise. I have a spare set of wheels so it was removed after the 2500 mile trip was over. That wheel sat over in the corner of the garage for years waiting for me to get desperate. Finally replaced the tire with something else.

There also was a special made Bridgestone (I think) tire made for a BMW LT in the size for an 1100 rear. It is slick as snot in the rain also.

Bike
2006 Yamaha FJR1300
STOC #
I currently have them front and rear - previous owner loved them. I'll be swapping them out for something before fall if I get all the various electrical issues sorted.

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
I've never liked the 880. Still waiting for someone to try the Michelin Commander II, 160/70-17 on the rear of a 1300. Luved it on my 1100s and now on my NC700.

Top Bottom