Revised Hot Cams Shim Box Numbers

Byron

STOC #
For those of you that have been using the Hot Cams shim kit you probably realize that you're only using the one box of shims, the one that runs from 1.20 to 2.40 in size. If you've done a few checks/adjustments you also learned that some of the Honda shims are between the Hot Cams numbers so then you have to figure out where to put them. Here is my solution. I created a set of labels that would cover the Hot Cams numbers, include the in between numbers and also have the inch measurement as well. In essence you are spreading the one box across two boxes and at the same time making things more convenient.

I created it in Delta Cad and then saved a screen capture as ".jpg" in actual size. I think the site reduced the image so you may need to play with it when printing. When you have the rows at 1" tall you have the correct size. Print then cut out and place in the boxes and you're ready to go.

You can download a demo of the cad program from their site and I can send you the ".dc" file if you're having problems scaling the ".jpg" image.

When you need refills you can get them from various Hot Cams vendors or go direct or you can monitor eBay. I just picked up another used set for the price of one set of refills. They only used shims out of the larger sizes so I got the ones I needed. :)

Just in case you figured I messed up on the last 4 inch conversions, it's the rounding when doing the conversion.

I also ran across a pretty good tool find at Ace Hardware. It's a General brand micrometer. The web site classifies it as a Utility Micrometer with accuracy as +/- 0.001". At around $15 I figured I would give it a try and check it out.

It's made it China and the calibration was off slightly on mine so I took it apart, cleaned and lubed it with KryTech Wax Lubricant and reset the calibration scale. It was easy to do. The supplied spanner will remove the ratchet friction stop and then the thimble simply unscrews. You'll find a small set screw on the side of the barrel. You simply loosen the screw and spin the barrel a little till the calibration marks line up and then tighten the screw. I used a set of pin gauges to verify my adjustment was correct.

While it is not what I would consider a top notch precision tool it does have the necessary accuracy for anyone to use during a valve adjustment to verify shim sizes.

Top Bottom