Article [13] ST1300 - Maintenance Lid Removal

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Here are some pics:

If you have the Fairing Deflectors it looks like this, left arrow to the access panel and right arrow to the Maintenance Lid:

Take a small object like a screwdriver and push the center of the push-pin in and you'll feel it 'pop'.

Then, pull the push-pin out

If you don't have the fairing deflectors, this is similar to what it will look like:

Pull the bottom of the access panel outward, if you don't do this and try to pull from above, you'll break off a tab:

Now, pull down on the access panel and it will come away from the fairing:

Now, put your fingers in the slot on the rearward part of the Maint Lid and pull outward. It's a very tight fit, some bikes not as tight.
You may have to wiggle it a little but you should feel it give just a little, there is a rubber grommet there that you are pulling away from the pin

Now, you and start pushing the Maint Lid towards the front of the bike, sometimes it doesn't take much effort and sometimes you need to pull from the front part of the Lid

Below, with the Maint Lid removed, you can see the attachment points so the next time it will be easier to visualize:

Attachments

Last edited:
Re: ST1300 Maintenance Lid & Overhead Cover Removal

thanks abunch new to the st 1300 had a goldwing and a 1000rr

TMUS

MSF Instructor 32 years
Bike
2006 ST1300a(Marvin)
STOC #
Re: ST1300-Maintenance Lid Removal

I always place a little silicone spray on the maintenance lid rubber parts to help the next time. :smile:

Thanks

TwoBrittanys

aka itsbent
Bike
'04 ST1300ABS

Can you get touch up paint for the lids in case they get scratched?
Posted via Mobile Device

Tom Mac 04a

Site Supporter
Bike
04 ST1300a
STOC #

Like mentioned, I lube the rubber grommet that goes over the peg... a small wipe of grease does make it a bit easier to pop off next time.
(btw, reminds me of pulling the side covers off the old 750s...a pain to watch it flex)

Does anybody know what the part # is for the Push Pin things for the Wind Deflectors? I think they're a little longer than the stock ones and I need one. Any help would be appreciated

Mark

Bike
STOC #
Thanks for this info, too. Was changing my oil for the first time, trying to save money, and I ran into this thing. The manual is horrible in trying to explain it. The pictures worked wonders, though!

Bike
2015 BMW K1600GT
Does anybody know what the part # is for the Push Pin things for the Wind Deflectors? I think they're a little longer than the stock ones and I need one. Any help would be appreciated

91549-MWO-790ZA
(2)-Top of front lower cowl
(6)-Front edge of inner cowl

90116-MCS-G00
(4)-Windscreen cowl
(2)-Lid fairing. Spark plug/oil fill cover.
(2)-Top rear edge of the lower

90657-SBO-003
(4)-Windscreen cowl
(4)-Bottom front of fairing & lower cowl
(2)-Top rear edge of inner cowl
(2)-Rear fender Most people have not even seen these.

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #

Mark
91549-MWO-790ZA
(2)-Top of front lower cowl
(6)-Front edge of inner cowl

90116-MCS-G00
(4)-Windscreen cowl
(2)-Lid fairing. Spark plug/oil fill cover.
(2)-Top rear edge of the lower

90657-SBO-003
(4)-Windscreen cowl
(4)-Bottom front of fairing & lower cowl
(2)-Top rear edge of inner cowl
(2)-Rear fender Most people have not even seen these.
FYI... No, the 90116-MCS-G00 does not fit once the fairing deflectors are installed. It is the correct diameter, but is too short. The fairing deflectors come with a longer version of the 90116-MCS-G00 push rivet...I am unaware of the part number of that longer push rivet. (Maybe someone else has it?)
:)

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9

Does anybody know what the part # is for the Push Pin things for the Wind Deflectors?
Here you go if you are still monitoring this;
RIVET, PUSH 08P73-MCS-80015 (replaces 64383-MCS-A31) $1.67 each.

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
You can make a small modification to the plastic silver-colour piece that fits over the oil fill cap and the right hand side spark plugs that will make it a lot easier to remove and replace the cover when you want to add or change oil.

I can't take credit for this, Larry (@Igofar ) taught me this trick.

If you look carefully at the top of the right side cylinders when the cover is removed, you will see that there is only one attachment point at the aft end where a single rubber grommet fits over a stud. But, the silver plastic cover has two "holes" at the aft end - one with a rubber grommet to fit over the single stud, and another "hole" that is not used at all.

If you take a small cutting tool and snip off the forward half of the unused "hole", that will make it a lot easier to remove and replace this cover. Doing this will not affect the security of the cover, because the "hole" without the grommet does not serve any function.

The photos below should explain things better:

There's only one stud that the aft end of the cover fits onto (the rubber grommet grabs this stud)
Cover 1.jpg

If you snip off the forward part of the unused aft hole in the plastic cover, it will be easier to remove and replace
Cover 2.jpg

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
Its been a long time since I had to work out how to do this. Very useful for new owners though.
I find that if you put a thin smear of rubber or silicone grease on the single rubber grommet on the cover, and on the two locating pads just forward of the oil filler cap, the cover is easier to fit and much easier to remove.
I did worry at first that this might enable it to come off by itself, but I have done this for many years and it stays securely in place.

Jambriwal

2016 ST1300PA
Bike
2016 ST1300 PA
Here are some pics:

If you have the Fairing Deflectors it looks like this, left arrow to the access panel and right arrow to the Maintenance Lid:

Take a small object like a screwdriver and push the center of the push-pin in and you'll feel it 'pop'.

Then, pull the push-pin out

If you don't have the fairing deflectors, this is similar to what it will look like:

Pull the bottom of the access panel outward, if you don't do this and try to pull from above, you'll break off a tab:

Now, pull down on the access panel and it will come away from the fairing:

Now, put your fingers in the slot on the rearward part of the Maint Lid and pull outward. It's a very tight fit, some bikes not as tight.
You may have to wiggle it a little but you should feel it give just a little, there is a rubber grommet there that you are pulling away from the pin

Now, you and start pushing the Maint Lid towards the front of the bike, sometimes it doesn't take much effort and sometimes you need to pull from the front part of the Lid

Below, with the Maint Lid removed, you can see the attachment points so the next time it will be easier to visualize:

You can make a small modification to the plastic silver-colour piece that fits over the oil fill cap and the right hand side spark plugs that will make it a lot easier to remove and replace the cover when you want to add or change oil.

I can't take credit for this, Larry (@Igofar ) taught me this trick.

If you look carefully at the top of the right side cylinders when the cover is removed, you will see that there is only one attachment point at the aft end where a single rubber grommet fits over a stud. But, the silver plastic cover has two "holes" at the aft end - one with a rubber grommet to fit over the single stud, and another "hole" that is not used at all.

If you take a small cutting tool and snip off the forward half of the unused "hole", that will make it a lot easier to remove and replace this cover. Doing this will not affect the security of the cover, because the "hole" without the grommet does not serve any function.

The photos below should explain things better:

There's only one stud that the aft end of the cover fits onto (the rubber grommet grabs this stud)
Cover 1.jpg

If you snip off the forward part of the unused aft hole in the plastic cover, it will be easier to remove and replace
Cover 2.jpg
Thanks for this mod. First oil change yesterday. After struggling to remove valve cover made this cut along with giving plug wire a turn it went on easier than removing. Also O ring lube on grommet.

Top Bottom