ST1300 Wind deflector kit installation

Bike
ST1300 2002
Just received my mirror deflectors and fairing side deflector kits. I went out this morning to install and found a slight problem with the instructions for installing the upper dashboard section (adjacent to the screen). The instructions say that you remove the existing clip and "save". You then install a "scrivit"in the place of the original clip. I have removed the clip, but all I have to install in its place is a screw which came with the kit, which must be the "scrivit"? The instructions are confusing as they show what appears to be the new screw and retainer. The instructions say "replace the existing screw with this scrivit". There are no original screws in place only clips (push/ pull type plastic rivits). I am now confused and have looked at removing the centre section from the original clips with a view to installing the "scrivit" or screw? Problem is I may damage the original clips as I cannot remove the centre section with reasonable force. Can someone who has installed these deflectors advise on what they did? Maybe I am missing a couple of "scrivit bodies".
Thanks in advance
Joe
P.S Any other pitfalls to be wary of during installation??

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Yeah, there should be some grey colored plastic 'scrivits' and a screw that goes with it.

OP
OP
Bike
ST1300 2002
Now that,s what I call a response Joe. I,ll get onto Dave Silvers right away. Thanks for your speedy reply. What a fantastic web site.
Joe

Bike
None For Now
STOC #
Quality control on packout for these kits is suspect, IMHO. I have two of the kits and the fasteners included in each are not remotely similar. The picture below shows what came with each kit. I think one of them has 2 screws and two "scrivets" and the other kit came with 5 screws and ONE "scrivet."

I guess this is where the phrase "user to field fabricate" whatever it takes to actually do the install comes into play. :banghead:

Bike
2005 ST1300
Stook..I dont any 'scrivets' in that picture?..

Think of it as a scrivet that a screw drives into and causes it to expand just like a drywall anchor..Much better than the stock rivets..My upper dashboard rivet never seemed to stay snug..

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Outlined in yellow is the dash part of the mirror deflector set - circled in red is the replacement screw - You can't see the anchor but in the 2nd pic you can see the grey shoulder of it..

These are very flimsy and thin anchors and there's probably a better one out there at a hardware store.

As Todd states, these things just hold the screws and that's about it, I think the doublesided tape is doing all the real work.

I didn't take it apart to get a picture because they get mangled so easily, I'm just waiting for them to crap out on me.

Attachments

Hound

Cave Canem
Bike
2004 ST1300PA
STOC #
I didn't get replacement fittings with mine, so I re-used the plastic rivets. I also didn't use the double-sided tape because I planned to remove the inner windscreen cowl in the not-too-distant future.

I lost both upper deflectors within hours of each other. :(

Listen to these wise folks' advice and make sure you have those scrivet thingies installed!

And if anyone has those upper deflectors spare for some reason... :pray1:

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
First off, installing the deflectors are not for the faint at heart!

Long before I installed the mirror deflectors, I had replaced the non-fitting plastic rivets with the same screws used for the air box. I bought some nylon screw inserts (like 1/2" x 1/2" and 3/8 of an inch thick) and "glued" them into place (had to drill it out just a tad) and they work great for holding the screen deflectors.

As for the Mirror and lower deflector installs, make sure everything is warmed up, don't do it cold. let things sit in the sun for a little bit and make things flexible. I installed my first set just fine, didn't even have that ugly miss-alignment with the engine covers you often see. But when I had the accident and the lowers were replaced, the bozo mechanic didn't bother installing them correctly and now I have that ugly miss-alignment! :mad: I even tried to reinstall them, what a pain!

Also, make sure you take your time doing it and having a heat gun with you while doing it is useful incase you need to remove part of it and re-align it.

Hound

Cave Canem
Bike
2004 ST1300PA
STOC #
Johnny: A heat gun on a sensible setting, or maybe a hairdryer would do. Get the adhesive good and warm before carefully peeling the deflector from the bodywork.

Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
Did a trial fit of my mirror deflectors tonight,, starting with the upper cowling vertical pieces. I quickly found that the scrivets were not going to work,,, as they don't expand nearly enough to grip in the hole. In the plastic rivet that came out barely held anything as well. So it is off to Car Quest tomorrow,, to see if I can find something else that will do the job,, Cat'

Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
Okay,,, mirror deflectors installed reasonably well,,, using a number of the tips read from the forum. Test fitting and laying down some alignment masking tape was particularly helpful. After riding a couple of hours,,, I can say I have observed the following. Definitely less of a breeze on the hands,, and even on the fore arms. Overall the flow is less turbulent,,, although the Clearview screen still dumps wind onto my shoulders. I think the mirror deflectors will prove to be worth their high cost. Anyone else trying this farkle will likely have to buy a couple of larger replacement scr-ivits as I did,,, since the ones in the kit are far too loose to work. At this point, I don't intend to add the lower deflectors,, as they are even more costly, and I don't see the need for them. Besides, my short legs would likely interfere with the lowers, if I try to use the MCL highway blades that Blue STar already has. Oh,,, one last thing,, only a very small increase (negligible) in back pressure was noticed. Cat'

Bike
2006 ST1300
I instaled both set of air deflectors. I highly recommend it for a less turbulent ride. Seems like a different bike now after installation.

for anyone attempting to fit a lower deflector kit here is some advice.
to understand it i will refer to the top and the side. top being the large flat area that your knee points at and side of course being the smaller side of it.
if you are using a secondhand set tape the existing lines however where the deflector corners are avoid going across from the top section to the side basicly keep the tape on the top section seperate from the tape on the side section then put a small piece on side of the cover piece and position it on the bike and stick it on. on the deflector remove the tape backing fully from the side just around the cover gap. on all other tape lift a piece of the backing and fold it up or down so that it leaves a tab hanging over the edge of the deflecter.

line up the deflector over the cover piece and press on. gently pull the tabs away removing the backing from the tape underneath
if a piece is not coming out gently lift the rubber and try agin
this will give you perfect lineup easy and make a pig of a job simple.

ps did everyone drill the holes at both ends and use the pins to hold them because mine didnt come with any and i dont want them to fall off
if i have done the line up perfect im sure i can tape the cover pieces to the covers and remove and add them as one when needed

Bike
2006 ST1300
I have not installed the pin modification. However, I have not had any difficulties or lost and of the covers. Mine have and are working as they come in the kit so far. The air turbulence has definitely improved with the deflector kits on the bike, but I think it makes the ride a little hotter in the summer. Everything is a compromise I guess.

Attachments

Last edited:
Bike
ST1300
I just ordered the air deflector kit from Motosport for $188. While I am waiting should I be seeking some really good double sided tape, and Srivets? Or is what I need coming with the kit?

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I just ordered the air deflector kit from Motosport for $188. While I am waiting should I be seeking some really good double sided tape, and Srivets? Or is what I need coming with the kit?
The stuff it comes with should be similar if not exactly like 3m trim tape.. as long as you clean the surface it should stay put for years.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Also, it wouldn't hurt if you warm them up with a heat gun before installing! Just don't overheat the pieces!

Top Bottom