Article Zumo 550 crazy screen: $25 repair (w/ photos)

Bike
2011 BMW R1200GS
STOC #
The new digitizer I bought doesn't have glue on it either. There is not enough glue residue to 'reuse' the old glue. Anybody know if it is necessary to use glue with the new one? If so, what would a recommended adhesive be?
Just a little follow up to the digitizer replacement on my Zumo. When I began removing the 'glue' residue from the edge of the framework for the screen after removing the original digitizer it actually came up in a very thin strip about 1/16" wide. I actually believe it was just a very fine piece of two sided adhesive, kind of like a tape strip. After seeing this I decided to install the new digitizer on my Zumo with two sided tape. I just applied it to the edges of the frame for the screen and then trimmed off the excess with a razor blade. Just thought I would post this up in case anyone encountered the same issue I did with a replacement digitizer that did not have any adhesive on it or if there was not enough adhesive residue left on the frame for the screen to reuse. I guess if I had it do over again I would place the two sided tape on the edge of the replacement digitizer since it can be handled more freely and then trim off the excess. You would just need to make sure you dont position the tape so that it would be on the viewable part of the screen after reassembly. You gotta be careful applying the tape to the screen the way I did it because I can see where you might inadvertently tug on the wide ribbon cable attached to the screen that does not detach for this procedure.

Jefro

I ride to Sturgis
I just changed out my touch screen digitizer on my 4 year old Zumo 550.
I was starting to get all the crazy phantom presses, and generally was unable to get to any pages I needed.

On ebay, I ordered from Goodsupply0889 a new 79 X 64.5 digitizer for $29, including shipping. I was pleasantly surprised to receive it in only 7 days to SoCalif. And he included the adhesive tape with it. Good source!

The Zumo came apart easily with a 1.5mm hex, and unlatching the 2 contact leads made the job smoother.
The installation went easily, but you should only razor blade off the old digitizer and glue that sits on the black frame. Do not disassemble the black frame that mates to the steel frame that encases the actual LCD screen. I did take everything apart, but discovered it was difficult to reassemble properly, and was unnecessary.

I very lightly greased the thin rubber gasket and put everything back together carefully in good light.
After booting the Zumo into the calibration mode, I discovered the screen to be nicely sensitive, unlike my original screen.
Now it works better than new, and I am a happy rider once again.
Jefro.

Bike
ST1100/Concours
STOC #
I ordered mine and had it within a week and just changed it out; took about 1/2 hour and everything worked perfectly as described. I going to order another one and keep it for a spare. I have two 550 and both (one sent twice) have been sent back to garmin for the same issue......$450 in repair. So glad to find this....THANKS!

Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
My screen on my Zumo just went nuts this weekend! I just ordered one these LCD screens with a digitizer off EBay. Now to see if I can replace the unit when it comes in. Had to order it from china, nothing here in the states!

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
My screen on my Zumo just went nuts this weekend! I just ordered one these LCD screens with a digitizer off EBay. Now to see if I can replace the unit when it comes in. Had to order it from china, nothing here in the states!
I ordered the same thing from China and have not had the time to install it yet. Fast shipping from there from the company on Ebay.

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
I agree the LCD plus digitizer assembly is the less trouble way to go. No fooling around trying to change the digitizer, almost plug and play. I bought an extra one for a spare.

Hey Guys,
I am new to this site. I have one question? I just replaced the digitizer on my 550. Hooked everything back up and all I have is a blank white screen. I have attached and reattached both the 1" and 1/8" wire leads and all I get is a blank screen. It powers up but that is it. Thanks in advance for your input guys. Have a great day.

John

Hey Guys,
I am new to this site. I have one question? I just replaced the digitizer on my 550. Hooked everything back up and all I have is a blank white screen. I have attached and reattached both the 1" and 1/8" wire leads and all I get is a blank screen. It powers up but that is it. Thanks in advance for your input guys. Have a great day.

John

ScubaDave

Site Supporter
Bike
st 1300
STOC #
Sounds like 1 of the ribbons are not in right or you got a bad screen. I have had both happen. Are you using your old screen or a new one? The part you need to change is the digitizer not the lcd screen.

I changed out he digitizer not the LCD. Tried at least six to ten times and no luck. Time to take a break and regroup. Thanks for the reply.

Bike
2014 Super Tenere
STOC #
Trying to replace the digitizer. The new one is attached to a glass backing. Probably will destroy it trying to get it off. The screen has a glass cover that is tightly glued.

Is there a way of getting the glass cover off of the screen?

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F using Tapatalk

ScubaDave

Site Supporter
Bike
st 1300
STOC #
The glass cover should have a metal frame. The metal frame can be removed from the gps. I have used a thin knife to get under the edges of the frame to pry it off the LCD.

Bike
2014 Super Tenere
STOC #
The glass cover should have a metal frame. The metal frame can be removed from the gps. I have used a thin knife to get under the edges of the frame to pry it off the LCD.
The metal plate has been removed. I can't even get a scalpel in between the screen and the glass. Not sure if heating it would help or destroy the screen.

ScubaDave

Site Supporter
Bike
st 1300
STOC #
The metal plate has been removed. I can't even get a scalpel in between the screen and the glass. Not sure if heating it would help or destroy the screen.

Can you post a photo of what you are trying to take apart?

ScubaDave

Site Supporter
Bike
st 1300
STOC #

Both the new digitizer with glass backing and the screen with the same glass on the front.

The old glass is attached to the metal frame you still have on the LCD. The black metal frame will come off. Though why your new one does not have the frame I do not know. You will have to separate the old glass from its frame to reuse the frame. Though I would do this off the LCD. You will likely crack the old glass getting the frame off the old glass. If you slip a thin blade between the LCD and the thin black frame it will come off. Then you will have just the glass with its frame to deal with.

Top Bottom