ST1100 Side Stand Problems ????

Bike
2003 ST1100P
I have recently bought a used low mileage ST-1100P. Since I have owed it I have put about 1500 miles on it. Today I went on a ride for a couple of hours, when I got home the only way it will start is to put it into neutral. I know about the side stand switch killing the engine if you put it down while in gear. I have been doing this when I stop for gas or in the garage, then I just take out the key. When I am ready to go (say after getting gas) I replace the key, put the side stand up, pull the clutch in and hit the starter. The engine starts and away I go. But today it won't start unless it is in neutral even with the side stand up. Is the side stand switch starting to fail. Is there some other safety switch I am missing? The side stand warning light is still operating correctly. Has this happened to any one else.

Thanks in advance for your help.

georgiast

Failure is NOT an option...
Re: Side Stand Problems ????

Don't remember about the 1100's, but the 1300 have a clutch switch as well. My previous grips were too fat and I had to put in neutral to crank. Changed grips and all is well. Try "gripping" a little tighter and see if that works...

Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
Yes, there is a clutch switch. If you look on the underside of the clutch you should see a couple wires. Disconnect them and check continuity. I don't recall if it is there or goes away when the clutch is pulled.

The sidestand switch can fail. It did on my 1100 but when it stuck on the sidestand light was on all the time. I pulled it off the sidestand and manually turned it until it thought the sidestand was up. Since your light is working I doubt it is a sidestand issue and would focus on the clutch switch. If that is the problem and it is sticking, I think it opens up and you can clean it with some contact cleaner or it shouldn't be that much to replace. I know on both the 1100 and 1300 you can hear it click as I pull the clutch in as it does on the brake side. That click, or lack of, may not be definite sign of the issue so I would also check it with a multimeter.

Bike
92 ST1100
Interesting......my 92 has no clutch switch. Can start in nuetral witout pulling in clutch. Being a P model or just a later year 1100 must have one.

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
Interesting......my 92 has no clutch switch. Can start in nuetral witout pulling in clutch. Being a P model or just a later year 1100 must have one.
Being able to start your ST1100 while in neutral is as it should be. Means the neutral switch is working properly. :)

The clutch switch allows you to start your ST1100 while in gear. Put it in gear, squeeze the clutch lever, and hit the starter. If it starts you've got a clutch switch.

Regards, John

Reactions: Wer
Bike
st1300
just had the same issue last week, it was the side stand switch failed, as it has a 3 wire settup, it still operated the dash light as normal, but the engine cut as it was put in gear.
i cut the wires and twisted then to get me home, new one is ordered.

Bike
1993 ST1100
just had the same issue last week, it was the side stand switch failed, as it has a 3 wire settup, it still operated the dash light as normal, but the engine cut as it was put in gear.
i cut the wires and twisted then to get me home, new one is ordered.
Doing a search I found this,...Just went out today to start,believe the SS light was lit(not sure) but when put in gear it died ,no SS light now.Bike not at the garage where shop manual is so wondered what a quick check should be to confirm it is the SS switch.
Thanks

Bike
'99 ST1100
STOC #
Doing a search I found this,...Just went out today to start,believe the SS light was lit(not sure) but when put in gear it died ,no SS light now.Bike not at the garage where shop manual is so wondered what a quick check should be to confirm it is the SS switch.
Thanks
Put the bike on the centerstand and put the transmission in neutral, confirm by spinning the back wheel. Put the SS down and confirm that the side stand light comes on.

If the light doesn't come on, remove the left side cover below the seat. Find the harness connector for the side stand switch with Blk/Yel, Grn, and Grn/Wht wires and disconnect the connector. Check for continuity between the green wire and the other two wires with a meter. The sidestand switch connects the green wire to the Yel/Blk wire when the stand is down and connects the green wire to the Grn/Wht wire when the stand is up. If there is no continuity in either position the switch is bad.

Bike
1993 ST1100
I found it.Damn mouse chewed through the SS kill switch wire.Funny thing is I've done several rides already this season,a couple, a 100+ miles from home and it didn't fail,thankfully,probably hanging by a thread!

Top Bottom