ST1100 Where to put relay/distributer block?

El Guero

V4 *****
Bike
1995 ST1100
Hey all, I just got an ST1100 and I want to hook up a relay and distribution block to add some accessories (heated grips, 12v outlet, GPS, etc) and was wondering where other people have put theirs? Looking at the battery and its surroundings under the plastic has me stumped.

Bike
2015 Yamaha FJ-09
STOC #
You're going to get a LOT of opinions on this. Most mount theirs in the tail area under the seat because there is plenty of room back there. Some mount them behind the headlight, but that can be a pain to get to if you need to add a farkle or change a fuse. I mounted mine in the storage box on the left side of the fairing. Of course this meant that I had to drill several holes in the bottom and sides of the box, but I like having it there because it's easy to get to and makes adding farkles easier. I also like it because most farkles are on the front of the bike, not the back, so I don't have as far to run my wires. Nice, clean, and easy. Unfortunately I didn't take any pics during the install, so I can't show you much.

As for the relay, I put mine to the left of the battery and triggered it off the accessory connector that's stashed on the right side of the battery. All in all it makes for a clean and relatively easy install.

juddspaintballs

Dual Sport Touring
Bike
KTM 1090 Adventure R
STOC #
Between the dash and headlight. Mine rests comfortably on top of the bucket of the headlight. I think it's a great location because most power requiring accessories are going to be up in that area.

OP
OP
El Guero

El Guero

V4 *****
Bike
1995 ST1100
Hmmm... I like the idea of having it behind the seat, but I don't like how long all the wires would need to be. John, can you explain to me better what is going on with that fuse box and where you got it? I was going to run a distributor block like I had on my KLR but I like the look of that.

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
Austin. I guess the pictures' captions don't cover it all... The fuse block is one of the ubiquitous Buss brand or similar available at any auto part store. The box is a Radio Shack 'hobby box' that I modified a bit. If I was to do it over (and I'm thinking strongly about doing that right now... add more/combine some circuits) I'd probably go with one of the BlueSea, Centec (sp?) or Curt Gran (link) models of fuse blocks. If you use good wiring techniques (I don't solder, uninsulated connectors, quality shrinkwrap, good crimps only), loom properly and route/secure them to the frame, length of the runs is not a concern, IMHO. I remove my tupperware a lot, so having a location that doesn't interfere with that (carb synch, valve check) was also a consideration when I installed mine.

John

Last edited:
OP
OP
El Guero

El Guero

V4 *****
Bike
1995 ST1100
Hmmm... Maybe, a distributor block and relay inside of an enclosure and then stick it in the back of the bike with some velcro or somethin... That might be the ticket!

freeSTyle

freeSTyle Don
STOC #
Along the lines John described. I mounted my BlueSea fuse block in the tail. Picked up a`hot`from the fuse panel thru a relay to`power-up`the new panel.I picked up 6 lengths of different color wires (Orchard supply). And also a lenght of 1/2"clear heat shrink tibing. I ran this loom along the frame,cutting a small hole and pulling wires thru as needed. After the install I zip-tied the heat shrink tube loom to the frame. Btw,I didn`t heat shrink the tubing when finished leaving it clear. If ever I need another circuit snaking a wire should work.

Don

OP
OP
El Guero

El Guero

V4 *****
Bike
1995 ST1100
I prefer the FZ-1 from Fuzeblocks.com. He's a member here and makes a first-rate product.

Mine's currently in the tail (under the seat) but I'm seriously considering moving it:
http://www.illzoni.com/bikes/farkles/FZ1/

Oh wow... That is pretty. I was feeling stupid about having bought everything I need from Radioshack today but then I looked at the price :( I understand it's a quality product but I think I may upgrade to something like that later if my homemade relay set-up proves to be unreliable.

Bike
03ST11P,94ST11A
STOC #
I have a 6 way aux fuseblock from Checker, $9. It fits neatly in the space that would have been the ABS fuseblock. This is a good location - right below the ST main fuse block but not an option if you have ABS!

OP
OP
El Guero

El Guero

V4 *****
Bike
1995 ST1100
I jammed my relay and distributor into an enclosure and jammed it in the tool compartment. Not the prettiest setup, but it looks like it will work pretty good!

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
I added mine in the left pocket with the main relay and fuse for the panel installed similar to 'The Duke' describes. Used the same fuse block as many here have mentioned or shown that is available from most discount auto parts store. My panel main fuse is on the left side of the battery but my relay is on the right under the factory fuse box. I trigger this from the factory Aux connectors (bullet connectors). I use a couple of different connectors from Radio Shack where the wires enter the left pocket so I can disconnect when I need to remove the fairing panels. I put a formed vinyl sheet over the fused panel so I can continue to use most of the pocket for storing stuff. It's easy to get to if I need to get to a fuse and, as already said, most of the add-on stuff goes up front so wire length is shorter. I also used a short home grounding bar (for home circuit breaker panels) as my ground block up front so I don't over load factory grounding points with the bulk of extra connectors.
I really need to get some pictures and post them.

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
The photos below show the auxiliary bus installation I put into my ST 1100 12 years ago. It's still working just fine, I have never had any problems with it.

The fuseblock (in this case, made by Blue Sea products) is attached to the rear of the underseat storage tray using industrial Velcro. I've only ever had to remove it once, to change a tail light bulb.

Power TO the fuseblock is controlled by a relay located directly above the battery. That relay is energized by one of the spare fuses in the main fuseblock of the bike. Power leads coming FROM the aux fuseblock are protected with a cable wrap, as shown in the bottom photo.

The advantages of putting the fuseblock in the tail are that it is easy to access (in case a fuse blows), and it is well protected from the elements. Not to mention that on an ABS model, there's not a lot of space up front behind the fairing.

Michael

The left-most caution label was not supplied by Honda...

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
Here's a photo showing the location of the relay that supplies power (via the red wire, visible in the photo above) to the aux bus.

I have all my service carried out at my Honda dealer, for that reason, I fully label all my electrical modifications, so as to not confuse or perplex the techs at the dealership.

Aux Bus Power Supply Relay

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
I'd install the mains relay for the aux power behind the OEM fuse-box; sufficient space and protection are provided there.
Decent in-line fuse/s mandatory (again stowed behind the OEM fuse-block), but I don't like to cramp-up payload spaces, so I keep all my power lines and fuses "central" near the battery...
On my rigs that "tail-cone" is already inhabited anyway, alarm system, Autocom, Sony head-unit and tool-kit (on the '94 also some flasher-relays/kits are located there)

Top Bottom