Got a chance to ride a Vstrom 1000 the other day

cali_rider

Metric Bike Renegade
I just got my DL650 ABS about a month or so ago. I had an ST1300 before. I woyld take the DL650 over the ST1300. Here in california the weahter protection isnt as big of an issue since the weather here is great most of the time. In the summer the lack of weather protection is actually beneficial. Handling and on rough roads the DL wins hands down. Its alot more comfortable and is just plain fun to ride. Not as smooth as an ST but its pretty darn smooth for a Vtwin. The brakes need some improving as well. I find the strom alot more comfortable. Great fuel economy and range.

Don-STOC237

STealer
Bike
Suzuki GSX1250FA-ST
STOC #
I just got my DL650 ABS about a month or so ago. I had an ST1300 before. I woyld take the DL650 over the ST1300. Here in california the weahter protection isnt as big of an issue since the weather here is great most of the time. In the summer the lack of weather protection is actually beneficial. Handling and on rough roads the DL wins hands down. Its alot more comfortable and is just plain fun to ride. Not as smooth as an ST but its pretty darn smooth for a Vtwin. The brakes need some improving as well. I find the strom alot more comfortable. Great fuel economy and range.
The brakes are the weak spots on the DL650 and DL1000. There's a guy that makes adapters for the front brakes so you can fit sport bike calipers. Buy a set of used SV1000 calipers or CBR600 calipers, his brackets and put them on, and you can do stoppies with the DL's.

I did it on my DL1000, wow, what a difference.

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
The brakes are the weak spots on the DL650 and DL1000. There's a guy that makes adapters for the front brakes so you can fit sport bike calipers. Buy a set of used SV1000 calipers or CBR600 calipers, his brackets and put them on, and you can do stoppies with the DL's.

I did it on my DL1000, wow, what a difference.
Great suggestion Don. My DL1000 brakes are uninspiring and feel like they're not stopping the bike fast enough, and do not provide sufficent feedback. Seems part of the issue is also the springy/squashy front end suspension.

But even with my current factory setup, I can lock both wheels (and have done so in training courses). :22yikes:

If I rode mine more, I'd stiffen the front suspension and change the brakes as Don suggests.

Don-STOC237

STealer
Bike
Suzuki GSX1250FA-ST
STOC #
Great suggestion Don. My DL1000 brakes are uninspiring and feel like they're not stopping the bike fast enough, and do not provide sufficent feedback. Seems part of the issue is also the springy/squashy front end suspension.

But even with my current factory setup, I can lock both wheels (and have done so in training courses). :22yikes:

If I rode mine more, I'd stiffen the front suspension and change the brakes as Don suggests.
I could lock up the brakes with my old ones too, given enough time and slow enough speed. But the real test is how fast you can get stopped from say, 50 mph or more...

Improving the suspension is also a great idea on the DL. Fortunately in my case, the PO did it for me. :D

-This is a not a rant and I have no agenda, just my honest observations.-
Was offered a chance to ride a DL1000 the other day, and took him up on it out of curiosity. I owned an SV1000n for a short time, and was expecting the same great smooth power deliver, I was disapointed.
The first thing I noticed was how freaking top heavy this bike is - it felt as heavy as my ST1100 getting it off the sidestand and pedaling it around - where is the 175 lbs of missing weight?
Taking off there was a very noticeable interruption in the throttle, felt like a carbed bike with gummed up carbs. My first thought was this bike must have bad gas or something wrong with an injector or something, then I remebered reading about this problem that is common to these bikes.
The short ride I took left me with a very poor opinion of this bike. It felt like a crude dirtbike that was insanely heavy - I felt no confidence in cornering, to say the least. My 20 year old ST felt much smoother and more refined than this 5 year old bike. Taking bumps was very easy on the Strom and there was more power there, but to be honest I didn't feel comfortable at all twisting the wrist - the result was more unnerving than fun.
Getting off my thoughts were that maybe it's not that the wee is so great, but that its that great compared to this thing - I now understand at least part of the reason for the popularity of the Weestrom.
Wow, I'm surprised at your opinions on the handling. I owned a DL1000, and could throw that thing around like nobody's business in the turns. I thought it handled better than my ST.

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #

I can't lock the wheels on my ST1300 and I can not lock the wheels on my DL650............Both have ABS:D:D

Bike
'08 Connie C14
STOC #
I need to do the brake conversion on my DL. Is the biggest weakness on the bike to me...I just changed front pads with ONE HALF STILL LEFT to try to improve the brakes...Those who know my 'Scotchness' will realize what that means:)

Truth is, I grew up riding bikes with horrible brakes, so merely poor won't turn me off the bike. The introduction of the Triumph Cub just might!

patiodadio

Motorcyclist
Bike
ST
I got to take a 10 mile test ride on a Vstrom 1000 a few years ago and tho I did think it was a bit top heavy, over all I liked it. Felt like it would be a good wheelie bike :D

Bike
'09 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
My Vee is up on the lift right now. Tomorrow I fit her with new SV1000 brakes. Going from 2 piston calipers to 4 piston calipers ought to make a large difference in braking power. Can't wait!
When I rode the DL1000...brakes were my only worry. :) I even went out on the "net" to check for after market solutions. Good for you Don.....enjoy the new brakes!! (stopping is sometimes more important than going)

Bike
Honda ST1300
Many of them seem to be this way. I own a 650 V-Strom, but have decided I need some extra gogo for 2 up. The 1000 was on my list, especially since the local dealer has one with all the Happy Trails panniers on it for a good price. Took it out and brought it back in 5 minutes. Typical problem for that model. Like a dead spot or flat spot between 3000-4000 RPM's where it just hesitates. Its advertised to have more torque than the 650, but the 650 jumps better than that 1000 did. It probably isn't every bike and some probably do get the problem fixed with various solutions, but I just passed. The previous owner had obviously taken very good care of the bike. If he couldn't fix the problem, why should I think I could fix it with my very limited mechanical skills.

Don-STOC237

STealer
Bike
Suzuki GSX1250FA-ST
STOC #
Many of them seem to be this way. I own a 650 V-Strom, but have decided I need some extra gogo for 2 up. The 1000 was on my list, especially since the local dealer has one with all the Happy Trails panniers on it for a good price. Took it out and brought it back in 5 minutes. Typical problem for that model. Like a dead spot or flat spot between 3000-4000 RPM's where it just hesitates. Its advertised to have more torque than the 650, but the 650 jumps better than that 1000 did. It probably isn't every bike and some probably do get the problem fixed with various solutions, but I just passed. The previous owner had obviously taken very good care of the bike. If he couldn't fix the problem, why should I think I could fix it with my very limited mechanical skills.
About 15 seconds with a Yosh box will cure that problem.

I had a dl1000 b4 i got my pan 1300 and yep the brakes were rubbish
,so i put braided hose all round and good pads 3 times better it worked 4 me
have fun tony

Bike
'08 Connie C14
STOC #
There are at least a couple of things you can do to make them run better...I have changed the gearing a bit and K&N'd the filter...And mine will pick the front wheel in third with my (formerly) large butt and packed for camping...plenty of poo....

STOC #
I just did the Nissan Caliper SS brake line up grade to my DL 1000,
Save your money and buy EBC HH pads for the stock system,,,
Mike
I did the caliper upgrade and it now stops just like my ST1300 with a two finger pull. But I did find that I had to perform multiple bleeds to finally get all the pistons to engage.

Bike
'08 Connie C14
STOC #
Ahhhh, 17/44 IIRC. One tooth smaller on the rear. It gives just a little more bottom (particularly in 2nd) when I am on a trail, and will still get to century speeds on the road...

Bike
Vstrom 650
I'm just in the market for a vstrom,can't decide between the 650 and the 1000, I thought the brakes on the 650 I test rode were very poor alright but it was great to ride and the riding position was perfect.
I wonder is having ABS a big issue on this type of bike? none of the 1000's have it, there isn't a new 1000 on the market in Europe though I think they are available in the USA with ABS

Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
noneed
I rode my DL1000 to Baja for 4 days, with a BMW 1150 and a KTM 950, stayed with them the whole time, offroad for (2) six hr days standing on the pegs, the bike did well. The Guy on the KTM (an excellent desert racer) told me "I kept looking in my mirror and you were always there, I couldn't believe it". The DL650 and 1000 lack ground clearence and suspension travel, otherwise ok for a big bike. Almost as fast as my ST1300, 0-60 3.62 seconds, I smoked a lot of Harleys with my full pannier and top box.

Bike
Vstrom 650
Just an update on the SV calipers. One word: WOW! I could do stoppies with the Vee now, except it's so tall I'd probably fall over and hurt myself
Hi are the sv 1000calipers just a straight Bolt on replacement? read also that ebc HH brake pads make a big difference alone.
just looking at an 07 vee 31k miles,the brakes are rubbish,also a lot of 'rattle' from take off in 1st and 2nd gear.not sure if this is typical, seller says it is, but then again he would say that, thanks

Don-STOC237

STealer
Bike
Suzuki GSX1250FA-ST
STOC #
You need some special adapters to fit them. Not sure if I'm allowed to post a link here, but you can go to either of the large VSTrom forums and check out the merchandise threads there.

With the 4-piston calipers I've never found a need to use anything other than the stock pads.

The rattle on takeoff could be happening for one of a couple of reasons. The chain and/or sprockets might need replacing. Or the clutch springs might be rattling. The latter is more of an annoyance than a problem, if it bothers you you could replace those springs. A lot of DL1000's exhibit this.

Top Bottom