970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
You have to reach in behind the headlight and squeeze the plastic tabs on the bulb holder then turn it. You can then replace the bulb.

OP
OP

randy the x man

R.I.P. - 2013/06/23
Rest In Peace
Yikes what a pain.

Yes you have to reach in from the bottom. There are 2 tabs in horizontal positions one each side of the electrical connector.

Very hard to reach. But press the tabs somehow and remove the electrical connector.

Remove the rubber boot.

Unlock the wire bail lock

Remove and replace the bulb.

Phew

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
It's pretty easy once you see the connector.

I think at NatSTOC we may have a headlight change contest...

Shuey

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300 ES, 2018
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Yikes what a pain.

Yes you have to reach in from the bottom.
I go at them from the top.

There are 2 tabs in horizontal positions one each side of the electrical connector.
Plastic feeling connector with wires coming out of it.

Very hard to reach. But press the tabs somehow and remove the electrical connector.
Press tabs and it'll pull straight back, maybe wiggle a little, not to hard.

Remove the rubber boot.
It has a tab you can pull to get it started, also not hard. Note the feel as it comes off so you'll have an idea of how it will feel going back on.

Unlock the wire bail lock
Looking from top, with connector and rubber boot off, you'll be able to see the 'basket.' Visually note where it is. From top or bottom, push down on the middle of it and move a little left to 'unhook' it at the upper left and it will fold back, like on a hinge from the lower right.

Remove and replace the bulb.
Once the 'basket' is out of the way, the bulb is loose and you can just pull it out. If you're replacing it with a STock bulb, it'll go back in the reverse of getting it out.

If you're replacing with something else, other adjustments may be need to be made before putting the new bulb in. Note, you don't need 'shims' for an ST1300.

Phew
Shuey

TXRoadRash

FWDoc
Bike
2008 GL1800
Shooooooooot... Just ride on down to Dallas and I'll do it for ya. Even got two OEM bulbs to throw at ya!

And BTW, I, too, think that it's a lot more fun bein' on top. Remove the rubber boot, turn to face the rear of the bike and reach in with your left hand, squeeze those tabs and pull (evAr so gently), shift and loosen that stupid bail, pop in your new candle, and "Bob's your Uncle!" -- you're done ('cept repeating the process, only bassakwards to get it all together again).
:p:

Throttlejockey

Padden is my hero
Bike
06 ST1300
STOC #
You don't have to remove the rubber boot first. Actually, I don't think you can anyway.
I went from the top, turned so my back was to the front of the bike and reached behind with my left hand for the left bulb. The tabs are on either sides that you have to squeeze pretty hard.

Bike
Honda ST 1300
Hi how do I change parklight? The connectors do i just pull?
Parklight is the 2 small bulbs in the corner of headlight case, any guides???
Regards
Jorgen

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Hi how do I change parklight? The connectors do i just pull?
Parklight is the 2 small bulbs in the corner of headlight case, any guides???
Regards
Jorgen
Also referred to as position lights.

Yes, just pull, they are usually pretty tight and in '08 they started putting flatter rubber connectors which made them tougher to get to. Just be careful to pull them a little at a time, if you squeeze the connector while you do it you may pinch the bulb and it may shoot out into the headlight housing itself.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I just did this job. I could not get a good grip on the bulb holder to remove it and I felt like I was tugging too hard on the wires that I could reach. I removed the fairing on that side and it became a simple job when I could see what I was doing. Just to clarify - these are the little 5 watt bulbs in the upper corners of the USA headlight.

Bike
2003 ST1300
Shooooooooot... Just ride on down to Dallas and I'll do it for ya. Even got two OEM bulbs to throw at ya!

And BTW, I, too, think that it's a lot more fun bein' on top. Remove the rubber boot, turn to face the rear of the bike and reach in with your left hand, squeeze those tabs and pull (evAr so gently), shift and loosen that stupid bail, pop in your new candle, and "Bob's your Uncle!" -- you're done ('cept repeating the process, only bassakwards to get it all together again).
:p:
yup, that's da trick! Remove the bulb facing backwards.

STOC #
I am not the mechanic type, but I did change the left headlamp from the top. My wife kept telling me "I got smaller hands, let me do it" Once you understand how the bulb is stabilized it can be done within 5 mins. The new Honda bulb is slightly whiter than the older one.

I did this (ie headlight bulb, LHS) successfully a couple of years ago using fjheath's website. However, I tried today and could do everything except get the connector back on. I tried for ages and still could not get it positioned right. Does anyone have any tips for this? (I did not remove the fairing, and don't want to if I can help it.)

Critters

Retired Black Rat
Bike
Red 2003 ST1300
STOC #
I cant get my hand in from above, so I work from the front and underneath, facing the rear of the bike. So Im working blind.
And how many swear words, skinned knuckles does it take??? Only kidding, I know the set up, awkward as hell and this job is clearly not designed for larger hands. !!!!

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
And how many swear words, skinned knuckles does it take??? Only kidding, I know the set up, awkward as hell and this job is clearly not designed for larger hands. !!!!
Not sure about the UK bikes - but in the U.S. the 2003 model had a black plastic guard under the headlight that I assume was to protect the brake lines or block air or redirect it to the radiator... that isn't on the newer model bikes and without that part, it makes getting your hands under the headlight much easier.

Critters

Retired Black Rat
Bike
Red 2003 ST1300
STOC #
Not sure about the UK bikes
My 1300 certainly has that part you describe but like you I am unsure about the newer UK machines, now I have mentioned it I am sure I will have a blown bulb soon as that is how it goes with me just now, mention it and it will happen, unfortunately that does not include winning the lottery !!!!:D

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
It actually helps if you close your eyes... try it next time, I'm not joking..
Use the Force, Luke. Use the Force.

I agree, it's easier to visualize and "see" with your mind's eye. It helps to have seen a pic of what the parts look like and their orientation.

Thanks for the thoughts. However, I've covered all those bases. No guard in the way, working from below, can feel the prongs, got the connector the right way up (eventually), tried to guide connector onto prongs using both hands. I just couldn't get it positioned exactly right so that the prongs would go in. Two thoughts occur to me: 1. I spent an hour faffing and geting frustrated, so maybe wasn't 'at my best' at the end, or 2. I've somehow damaged one or more of the connector terminals. I'll try again in a couple of days. Luckily the twin lights of the Pan mean I can still ride it.

The other thing that I've realised, having re-read the 2 threads on this, is that my bulbs might not be seated correctly, because I haven't cut off the bottom 2 flanges. What does that mean? Presumably a less good headlight pattern?

Top Bottom