How do you replace a ST1300 headlight bulb

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
This is my first headlight bulb change. My right low beam has died. The tabs were already broken off the plug going onto the bulb so it pulled off no problem. The rubber weather sealing boot slips off no problem. Thinking this is a breeze. I can see and feel the bail but haven't gotten it to move. I have read all the posts on this thread and haven't gotten it yet. My wonderful wife just showed me a great picture of the clip from another site. Now that I see how it works I think I can get it. Sure wish Honda would have put a good picture in their manual. Thanks for the great site and input. The picture shows that the latch for the bail is the top is stead of the bottom like I was trying to do. Push towards the front and then towards the 12 o'clock position. Hope I have it figured out.
Don't waste your money on halogens. Go LED if you're going to have to be in there.

Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
First, many thanks to all of the posts here, immensely helpful.

Left low beam had (I thought) burned out, so I ordered a replacement bulb. Got it installed, but the low beam still does not work. No problem with the high beam.

Anyone else experienced this? Any suggestions before I take it to the dealer?

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I believe the left headlights (high/low beam) operate off relays. If there's not a bad wiring connection somewhere you might check you relay(s).

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
First, many thanks to all of the posts here, immensely helpful.

Left low beam had (I thought) burned out, so I ordered a replacement bulb. Got it installed, but the low beam still does not work. No problem with the high beam.

Anyone else experienced this? Any suggestions before I take it to the dealer?
I had a similar LH bulb problem years ago and the fix for me was to fashion a new ground for the LH headlight connector. Try inserting the bare end of a piece of wire into the terminal fitting of the green wire coming out of the connector and touch the other end to the frame to test this repair. IIRC there is a 8mm threaded hole in the frame up there that I used for a permanent ground.

Bike
2005/06/07 ST1300
I put the LED lights in an WOW! Is there a way to change the little position lights above the headlights without removing all the tupperware?

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
I put the LED lights in an WOW! Is there a way to change the little position lights above the headlights without removing all the tupperware?
You need to take the sides off. It also makes it easy to secure the ballast thingy on the Evitek's.

Bike
2004 ST1300 Police
That's the drill. There's a small hook on the socket base that the bale must pass under enroute to 1200. Push drag anti-clockwise and you'll feel it release.

The only other thing is how you get to it. Depending on variables like finger strength and wrist flexibility you can approach it several ways. You've probably read about them all:

•Reach up from the bottom
•Reach down from the top
•Use your right hand for the STBD side/left hand for the PORT side
•User your left hand for the STBD side/right hand for the PORT side
•Literally face the back of the bike and use your right hand for the STBD side/left hand for the PORT side (This worked well for me)

Pro Tip: Use the Force. After burning the pic of the bale/latch/socket into your being try closing your eyes when manipulating the bale. This also worked for me. It helps you focus in the needed movement. Do it a couple of times and it gets pretty easy.

Now would be a good time to put in 55/60W bulbs. It's probably a good idea to change both bulbs anyway. Clip the bottom two tabs and put them in the sockets just as you would the OEM 45/45W bulbs. HUGE difference. Even better— LEDs. But that does take a little time to get the bulbs depending from where you order and to install. In the interim 55/60W.

You'll also find that even from Honda 55/60W H-4 bulbs are much cheaper than the 45W stockers. Keep the one good 45W bulb as a spare or buy an extra 55/60W bulb (my recommendation).
Hi. I got mine out in 15 minutes (from the top). Where can I get the 55/60W H-4 bulbs and do they require any additional parts or setup? Thank you!!!

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Hi. I got mine out in 15 minutes (from the top). Where can I get the 55/60W H-4 bulbs and do they require any additional parts or setup? Thank you!!!
I got my H4 halogen bulbs from the Honda dealer for about $7+ a few years ago. I just asked for some 55W/60 H4s and got two Honda branded bulbs. I don't know what Hondas use them but it's not our STs. I wouldn't spend any more than I have to especially not for fancy halogens such as Silver Stars or Night Blazers or whatever. Honda OTC kit works well.

There is some minor prep work needed compared to the stock 45/45W bulbs. If you compare the two different bulbs you'll see that the lower tabs are in different positions so the 55/60W won't fit in the headlight socket.

You can take a pair of tin snips or wire cutters and remove the two lower tabs. Or with pliers you can bens that back against the body of the bulb. The remaining top tab will correctly align the bulb and the wire bale will hold it in place. Just that little snip-setup. No additional parts. Obviously the due care and caution when handling halogen bulbs applies.

If you do much riding at night or if you really want to be seen in the daytime— LEDs are really the way to go. They are the future and the future is now. Evetek/Safego F2 LED bulbs. Just sayin'...

Bike
2004 ST1300 Police
HELP. Please. I can't get one of the bulbs loose. It won't come out. The first one came right out with a small squeeze and wiggle. 30 seconds. Are we all sure it's a squeeze and pull? I am squeezing and pulling like there is no tomorrow. It won't budge. Just want to double check that it requires a squeeze? Any help would be great. Please. If it doesn't require a squeeze I might be able to put a small tool on it. Any suggestions?

Dave.David

Rider
Bike
05,ST1300-04VTX1800R
STOC #
HELP. Please. I can't get one of the bulbs loose. It won't come out. The first one came right out with a small squeeze and wiggle. 30 seconds. Are we all sure it's a squeeze and pull? I am squeezing and pulling like there is no tomorrow. It won't budge. Just want to double check that it requires a squeeze? Any help would be great. Please. If it doesn't require a squeeze I might be able to put a small tool on it. Any suggestions?
Take a look at this, goes into great detail.

http://www.st-riders.net/index.php?topic=11933.0

Bike
2004 ST1300 Police
Ok. I got it. Thank you everybody. It was really dirty and required lots of pulling. I got it out with attached to the rubber cover and put a small screwdriver on it and it pried it lose. It's probably the original bulb. I put some wd-40 on the connection to clean it up a bit so it doesn't happen again. Thanks again.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Gueroestrella said:
I put some wd-40 on the connection to clean it up a bit so it doesn't happen again.
At some point when you're up to it you should pull the bulb and clean the WD-40 of it completely. It tends to turn gummy and you could be facing a similar situation. It does evaporate somewhat so an the unlikely scenario of it migrating to the bulb's glass and damaging it probably wouldn't happen but it would always be in the back of my mind.

Dielectric grease works much better and is non-conductive. Just sayin'. Also for bulbs that aren't dirt-welded in place— it's squeeze/push/slide/pull. Like a date.

We should all do videos of our various techniques of changing the headlight bulbs. Then speed them up a bunch and add Benny Hill music.

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
My left head lamp is out. How do I replace it?

Thanks
Randy
I replaced my LH bulb several years ago, but I don't remember now how I did it. It now needs to be replaced again, since it is nonfunctional again. I put the bike on the CS this afternoon, and I can't get either hand in there from the top. I may have changed the lamp from underneath the last time, but I know that I didn't remove any hardware to change it. I will take a closer look tomorrow to see if I can remove the faulty lamp. I realize that my problem may not be the lamp, but that will be the next logical step to try to isolate the problem.

FrogmanDave

Dave Scott
Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
You DO NOT have to remove the sides (or any other tupperware) to get easy access to the bulbs and position lights. Remove the windshield bracket covers. 4 screws. Remove the windshield. 4 bolts. Remove the windshield cowl. 6 push pins (I think). Remove the instrument cluster. 6 screws. 2 are under the mirror covers so you will have to remove these also, 4 are under the glove box covers. Takes about 15 minutes and gives you a bunch more room to work in there. Re-installation takes about 20 minutes. Trust me, it is well worth the effort to go this route.

Bike
2005/06/07 ST1300
You DO NOT have to remove the sides (or any other tupperware) to get easy access to the bulbs and position lights. Remove the windshield bracket covers. 4 screws. Remove the windshield. 4 bolts. Remove the windshield cowl. 6 push pins (I think). Remove the instrument cover. 6 screws. 2 are under the mirror covers so you will have to remove these also, 4 are under the glove box covers. Takes about 15 minutes and gives you a bunch more room to work in there. Re-installation takes about 20 minutes. Trust me, it is well worth the effort to go this route.
Yes thanks, did that about a year ago. Also, found that when you drop the position lights inside the assembly, a small pen telescopic magnet works to get them out...luckily.

FrogmanDave

Dave Scott
Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
Yes thanks, did that about a year ago. Also, found that when you drop the position lights inside the assembly, a small pen telescopic magnet works to get them out...luckily.
Oh crap. I didn't realize your post was from a year ago. My bad!

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
We should all do videos of our various techniques of changing the headlight bulbs. Then speed them up a bunch and add Benny Hill music.
That makes me laugh just thinking about it. :)

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
FrogmanDave said:
I didn't realize your post was from a year ago. My bad!
On the plus side that's as clear and concise a how-to as I've never seen. Copied and bookmarked for future reference.

Bike
05 ST1300 Burgundy
STOC #
So "unclip" the bulb and change it doesn't seem to be adequate. I have pulled on it with my fingers, a straightened clothes hanger, a screwdriver, and a pair of pliers. Clip won't budge. I can wiggle it, but it won't budge. I think if I hook a chain to it and then push the bike over a cliff, it might pop off. I would hate to be trying to change one of these on the road or in a parking lot trying to get home. Any tips?

Top Bottom