How do you replace a ST1300 headlight bulb

Bike
2004 ST1300A
The high beam for the left headlight went out so it was a good excuse to change out the factory bulbs with 55/65w bulbs. Also change the “peanut lights” with LEDS. They were simple. The headlights not so much.

I read and read, watched videos, etc. so thought I was pretty knowledgeable. I got them switched out though...eventually. My wife made the comment that it’s kinda like sex for the first time. You can read about it, watch videos, talk to those who’ve already done it, but it’s not until you do it yourself that it all makes sense. :rofl1::p:cool:

Bike
2002 ST1300A
STOC #
Because this is such a fiddly job to do, and I have an electrical gremlin in the region of the headlight wiring....

... My choice for method of attack was to remove the screen & clock assembly. Lots of room then. :biggrin: Can see what you're doing, and get both hands in at the same time.

Still didn't yet locate the gremlin.

You have to reach in behind the headlight and squeeze the plastic tabs on the bulb holder then turn it. You can then replace the bulb.
It’s hard because you can’t see what your doing, this video shows what you won’t be able to see

Bike
2005 ST1300
Thanks for everyone's thoughts on this. I just replaced the LH bulb with an H4. Cutting the two lower tabs was easy. Just sorta crimped them with dykes and wiggled them until they came off. BTW, I went in from from top with the forks cranked to the right. Only did the one because I'm actually on a trip. First headlight failure, on the bike anyway, since it was new. Not bad. 16 years and 50K miles on factory originals.

Reactions: Obo
Top Bottom